Pennzoil Platinum HM 5W30 VOA

I've never used this oil, so no stake in it. Bought it, sent the sample in, got it back and posted here. I was hoping to use it on a next oil change, but I'm holding off, at least until I get a satisfactory response from Pennzoil. I've offered to let Pennzoil test it, but they haven't accepted that offer yet.
Probably because they have already tested the lot. If they want to test it again then it's likely they still have some.

hmm interesting perspective.
Because of superior base oil, PP does not need high TBN
Comments?

Reactions: 4WD
Just reaching out about this.. any update?… lots of BITOG folks picked up many $6.99 jugs of PPHM from the tractor supply clearance.

This information is very interesting

Last edited:
Just reaching out about this.. any update?… lots of BITOG folks picked up many $6.99 jugs of PPHM from the tractor supply clearance.

This information is very interesting
Yeah, they reached out to me yesterday with a tidbit of info. Basically, they said they checked the Cofa and the blend is in spec. Therefore, they expect the batch to be in spec. But they are waiting on additional feedback from the project lead. I don't know what Cofa is (certificate of analysis?). They also said that it would be good to have the batch tested again because of the difference in viscosity and they'd get back to me when they had more info.

Yeah, they reached out to me yesterday with a tidbit of info. Basically, they said they checked the Cofa and the blend is in spec. Therefore, they expect the batch to be in spec. But they are waiting on additional feedback from the project lead. I don't know what Cofa is (certificate of analysis?). They also said that it would be good to have the batch tested again because of the difference in viscosity and they'd get back to me when they had more info.
Does this COFA allow for a "Range" of visc? Not that you know just throwing out what I question in my head.

Well, I got an unsatisfying conclusion from Pennzoil. They said
Upon further checking, the batch Certificate of Analysis data from the plant is consistent with the product specifications, so we would expect the product the customer has is in spec as well. According to our Project Leader, the only main concern with the oil analysis results from the Blackstone laboratory for Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5W-30 was the viscosity - which was a bit low. Our suggestion is to have it retested maybe in a different laboratory.
I replied that I'd be willing to pay for another lab to analyze it, but if it comes back consistent with the first analysis, then what? Will they still look the other way?

I also asked if there had been an update to the formula that never made it to their website PDS. I'd be much more inclined to be okay if the viscosity was around 1.0 cSt or less from the PDS as opposed to 2.48 cSt (which is where it currently stands with their PDS cSt at 11.4 vs the measured 8.92).

I sent that email 2 days ago. We'll see if they reply.

So Pennzoil isn't willing to acknowledge the lab results. Granted Blackstone isn't exactly the cream of the crop, but those figures are well outside the margin of error. If multiple labs report the same thing, is there a way they can be held accountable? Can API or ILSAC do anything? What about the Federal Trade Commission and Better Business Bureau?

I don't like to drag a brand through the mud unless they deserve it. That response from them is making me want to step in some mud. They could at least resample their own batch, if they keep a retain, to verify the results one way or another. The attempt to dismiss it as a non-issue doesn't sit well with me.

This is why I don't like major oil brands. They're too big to care about the common consumer. If this was Amsoil, HPL, or Driven, they'd have pulled retain and thoroughly tested and gotten answers to you within days or even hours with a determination to resolve the issue.

Well, I got an unsatisfying conclusion from Pennzoil. They said

I replied that I'd be willing to pay for another lab to analyze it, but if it comes back consistent with the first analysis, then what? Will they still look the other way?

I also asked if there had been an update to the formula that never made it to their website PDS. I'd be much more inclined to be okay if the viscosity was around 1.0 cSt or less from the PDS as opposed to 2.48 cSt (which is where it currently stands with their PDS cSt at 11.4 vs the measured 8.92).

I sent that email 2 days ago. We'll see if they reply.
Take note before sending $ to Blackstone. Even the folks at Pennzoil laugh at Blackstone’s numbers.

Let’s all not forget…
You are supposed to “shake up” Pennzoil in order to redistribute the additive package that is typical residing in the bottom of the container.
Perhaps that’s the reason for this freighting report.
The additive package was collected on the bottom…
Also this is the reason I stopped using Pennzoil.

Take note before sending $ to Blackstone. Even the folks at Pennzoil laugh at Blackstone’s numbers.
You sure read a lot into their comments. If I'd tested at another lab, they'd say exactly the same thing except for the lab name.

Let’s all not forget…
You are supposed to “shake up” Pennzoil in order to redistribute the additive package that is typical residing in the bottom of the container.
Perhaps that’s the reason for this freighting report.
The additive package was collected on the bottom…
Also this is the reason I stopped using Pennzoil.
Two things.
1) I don't believe that oil additives fall out of suspension.
2) Even though that, I still habitually shake all oil containers before pouring. Whether into the engine or a sample bottle. So, this sample was shaken.

You sure read a lot into their comments. If I'd tested at another lab, they'd say exactly the same thing except for the lab name.

Two things.
1) I don't believe that oil additives fall out of suspension.
2) Even though that, I still habitually shake all oil containers before pouring. Whether into the engine or a sample bottle. So, this sample was shaken.
I disagree on #1: I have saw additive fallout on Rotella conventional/white jug 15w40 and 10w30. So I do NOT believe your first or #1 thing. I did also hear some of that oil up on old banged up hot plate I have. Took a bit for the black specs to dissolve back into oil. Just because you don’t believe it doesn’t mean I and others haven’t witnessed it. I’m not mad; just stating a FACT

I disagree on #1: I have saw additive fallout on Rotella conventional/white jug 15w40 and 10w30. So I do NOT believe your first or #1 thing. I did also hear some of that oil up on old banged up hot plate I have. Took a bit for the black specs to dissolve back into oil. Just because you don’t believe it doesn’t mean I and others haven’t witnessed it. I’m not mad; just stating a FACT
Fair enough. I'm always up for learning something new. However, if it was common for additives to fall out of suspension, I'd think they'd put instructions on the bottle or jug to shake before using. I'm not stating I'm right or that I believe it is a fact, just saying that I personally don't believe it's necessary to shake (due to it not saying on the bottle to do so). That said, I still do it! lol

Pennzoil answered a couple of follow-up questions for me.

Here they tell me the viscosity of the batch that went into the jug I bought:
The CofA result for the blend used for the batch is 9.76 cSt at 100DegC and the batch quality control limit should be greater that 9.6 cSt at 100 Deg C
My second question was:
If the product data sheet spec is 11.4 cSt, then the variance of this batch down to 9.76 is within acceptable limits?
To which their answer was:
Yes you are correct and it should not be lower than 9.6 cSt at 100 DegC.

Back