Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 HTHS

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys knew if the HTHS rating for pennzoil platnium euro has changed over the years, I know back in 2016 quattro pete said the HTHS was 3.6, but today I got an email back from pennzoil regarding the HTHS number and this is what they said:
"The typical High Temperature High Shear Viscosity (ASTM D4683 or D5481 or D4741) for Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 is 3.8 mPa-s @ 150°C"

So it seems that the HTHS number went up, if anyone has any insight on this that would be great!

I'm pretty sure it's been reformulated with the transition to GTL. 3.8 is more typical of a 0W-40 PCMO today. I would suspect the info you were given was correct.

I'm pretty sure it's been reformulated with the transition to GTL. 3.8 is more typical of a 0W-40 PCMO today. I would suspect the info you were given was correct.
I really hope so because that would be awesome if it was. But back in in 2016 the HTHS rating was 3.6 and think it was also GTL back then as well and I am unaware of any reformulations so that's why I have some slight suspicions.

I really hope so because that would be awesome if it was. But back in in 2016 the HTHS rating was 3.6 and think it was also GTL back then as well and I am unaware of any reformulations so that's why I have some slight suspicions.
Never mind I lied, I found a bunch of threads about it being reformulated to SN+ specs in 2019.

So likely those 2016 numbers were inaccurate for today's specs.

Got it in my stash. :)

8C4CA641-8357-4660-A41A-C0AAEAFAA1C2.jpg

I still wonder if anyone with connections to shell can verify if 3.8 hths is legit.

Most of the Pennzoil synthetics flirt on the thin side of grade. I might try this if it's really 3.8.

Yeah Pennzoil is pretty thin for a 5w40, but if it really is 3.8 then the base stock is robust as hell.

Not really.
HTHS of 0W40 is more between 3.6 and 3.7
Mobil1 0W40: 3.6
Catsrol 0W40: 3.7
Ravenol 0W40: 3.7
Valvoline 0W40: 3.7

Hey guys,

I was wondering if you guys knew if the HTHS rating for pennzoil platnium euro has changed over the years, I know back in 2016 quattro pete said the HTHS was 3.6, but today I got an email back from pennzoil regarding the HTHS number and this is what they said:

So it seems that the HTHS number went up, if anyone has any insight on this that would be great!
Could be. First GTL version that showed up was Pennzoil Ultra PurePlus with HTHS of 3.88.
Also, take into consideration that Pennzoil Platinum is reformulated in May 2020 for API SP.

I hope pennzoil's HTHS rating can stay consistent at 3.8 and not keep dropping and increasing with every reformulation. It sucks because they don't post any of this so it is hard to keep track.

Back