Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 but no Ultra 0W20?

Status
Not open for further replies.

According to Pennzoil's website, PP comes in 0w-20 but PU does not come in 0W-20. Why not?

Originally Posted By: MikeySoft

According to Pennzoil's website, PP comes in 0w-20 but PU does not come in 0W-20. Why not?

I can't answer your question on why PU does not come in 0W-20. I have a 13 Accord V6 for which I've been trying to decide what oil to use. After a few weeks of looking around on BITOG and some help from some of the members, I highly recommend you consider using Mazda OW-20 GF-5 With Moly part # 0000-G5-OW20-MQ. It has a very high viscosity index and lots of moly.

Who cares why PU isnt in a 0W20. I can grab a jug of QSUD in 0w20 for far less than PU.

sorry, but I dont really see anyone spending more on PU then whining bout why it is not in 0W20. Write, or email SOPUS. END OF STORY.

Anytime MikeySoft, and ya could email SOPUS instead of asking us folks that arent oil employees. I will take my QSUD 0W20 anyday and my M1 0W40 if that makes you feel better. END OF DISCUSSION

Caterham,

I've been reading about the Mazda oil JB357 recommended. Were you referring to any other OEM 0W20 oils?

Because PP's 0w20 is their choice for Pennzoil's "mainstream" oil.

PU will not have a 0w oil....at least for a good while anyways.

Otherwise regardless what is said, you are going to have two oils battling each other for shelf space which there is already little of....

Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
QSUD is $20.97 at Walmart for a 5 quart jug who needs PU.

I wish my local WM carried QSUD in 0W-20. I'd be all over that for the price. Great oil. I'm hoping that with GM going to 0W-20 on their 2014 trucks that the market for 0W-20 will increase to the point that the availabilty of oils in that grade will improve in my area.

Caterham,

I've been reading about the Mazda oil JB357 recommended. Were you referring to any other OEM 0W20 oils?

Yes the Mazda 0W-20 would be near the top of my list of suitable 0W-20 oils.
Other 0W-20 oils to consider would be Toyota's, Cross oil's SynGard and if the price doesn't scare you Sustina.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Caterham,

Yes the Mazda 0W-20 would be near the top of my list of suitable 0W-20 oils.

Unfortunately, here in the Portland, Oregon, area, when I (a Mazda owner) go to a Mazda dealership and ask about buying Mazda 0w-20, I get a reaction similar to the one I suppose I would get if I showed up at an airport screening station bearing an assault rifle with a high capacity ammunition clip.

That motor oil is the recommended lubricant for Mazda Skyactiv vehicles, but no Mazda dealer (in our area) stocks a single drop of it in inventory -- but would be happy to sell you a Mazda Skyactiv car or SUV if you have the cash.

Mazda has a serious dealer problem.

Thanks for the input,

Most likely I will be changing the oil in my 2013 I4 Accord in May or June. There is a Mazda dealer near my home. I'm doing research on different oils now, but I hope that dealership will have the oil should I decide to use it. I have had good UOAs with PP as can be seen in the link in my SIG below and may decide to use PP. However, I have an open mind on which oil I will use.

Originally Posted By: sopususer
Originally Posted By: sm00thpapa
QSUD is $20.97 at Walmart for a 5 quart jug who needs PU.

I wish my local WM carried QSUD in 0W-20. I'd be all over that for the price. Great oil. I'm hoping that with GM going to 0W-20 on their 2014 trucks that the market for 0W-20 will increase to the point that the availabilty of oils in that grade will improve in my area.

Same here in central NC....very little 0W-20 in jugs to be found in Walmart stores other than M1. I'd like to go with Quaker also if I could find it.

Is the Mazda 0w20 the only one weigh hi Molly?

Yes in a SN oil although they all contain moly some of which may be the trimer type.
But the main advantage of these oils is their ultra high viscosity indexes of nominally 220.
PP 0W-20 only has a VI of 164. Even PP 5W-20 has a higher VI at 169. The main advantage of a high VI is that the oil is lighter on start-up even at room temperature and if you're talking a 55+ point VI variance the viscosity difference is hugh.

Most oil formulators now offer a 0W-20 grade to capitalize on the Japanese OEM trend but few are going to the expense of matching the high VIs of the OEM spec' oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back