Penn Platinum Euro 5w40, 4,887 miles, '05 LegacyGT

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a UOA on the Platinum 5w40. Actually it is a mix of 2qts 5w40, and 2.7qts 10w30, as the store only had the 2qts. I wanted to see if this Euro oil would help out in consumption/protection compared to just the 10w30 viscosity.

This isn't your ordinary LGT, it has been heavily modified to the tune of 415bhp/425trq. It also has a 50/50 methanol injection. The car is dail driven about 90 miles, mostly highway. It does see full throttle about everyday, and on this UOA it also saw about 20-25 dyno pulls, to dial in the upgraded turbo/injectors & alky injection. Here are the particular's:

Comments from Blackstone:

EDMUND: Based on the higher than average iron (from steel parts sharing the oil) we suggest an oil
change to get iron back in the proper balance to the other wear metals. The rest of the wear metals
read close to universal averages (which are based on a 4570-mile oil run) for this type of engine. We
don't know why it increased suddenly here. It may be due to something operational like hard driving or
racing. In that case, it will probably decrease next time, but if it doesn't, we'll let you know. Everything
else looks pretty good here at 48,496 total miles.

OCI miles: 4,887
Miles on car: 48,496
sample date 5/11/06
Makeup Oil: 0.5 qts

AL 6
Chromium 3
Iron 18
copper 5
lead 3
tin 1
moly 28
nickel 0
manganese 0
silver 0
titanium 0
pottasium 3
boron 2
silicon 13
sodium 8
calcium 1789
magnesium 300
phosphorus 675
zinc 773
barium 0

SUS 60.4
flASHPOINT 370
fuel antifreeze 0.0
water 0.0
insolubles 0.3

used a AVO air filter. Cotton gauze type similar to K&N, but not oiled.

From what I see, the 5w40 didn't do as well as I thought it would have. Also, I didn't know that the 5w40 euro was repackaged Helix Ultra until well after putting it in, had I known that, I would have passed.

Well, the car has Gold GC 0w30 in it now, and I have had good results in the past with it, so I guess I'll just stick with it. Unless any of you oil guru's have any other suggestions? Something within the same price class $5-6 qt.

I really question Blackstone Labs on comments made about wear. They have totally ignored the driving conditions.
rolleyes.gif
18ppm is NOT high. I bet if you sent this to OAI, or Analystsinc. they would say it's within normal range. GC, M1 EP, Amsoil and Redline would all be great choices. Flash point is low and the oil did shear. Or, the 10w-30 lowered the initial viscosity.

Cr is also elevated. Perhaps the alcohol/water is overcooling the cylinders, not evaporating, and is washing the lube from the cylinder walls.

Good gravy, considering all extenuating circumstances here (75% more power, alc/water injection, lots of dyno pulls to tune it) I say this is a freaking awesome report. Even though I really like GC I'd sure be tempted to stay with something with a higher HT/HS viscocity. Got any pictures of this beast posted anywhere?
I would also really be interested to have Terry help me find the best oil if I were you, so this thing performs well and last forever.

quote:

Originally posted by edmundu:
From what I see, the 5w40 didn't do as well as I thought it would have.

Huh? You only used two quarts of the stuff mixed with 3 quarts of an oil that has a totally different chemistry. Based on this brew you have absolutely ZERO information about how good or bad the Pennzoil 5w40 is.
rolleyes.gif

^^That is why I posted it here. Some say it is good, while others say it wasn't? Also, at the time, I was under the impression that it was EOP based, just higher HTHS...

For now I threw in Havoline 10w-40 dino oil, because the car is getting retuned for a little higher boost in 2 weeks. Afterwards, I'll drop the oil, and run the GC.

The current tune was with 19psi, but the boost solenoid couldn't hold boost up top. So with a new solenoid I should be able to get 21-22psi and hang on to it.

Oh, and I have some photo's up on the Legacygt.com site...under photo's section, titled My Legacy Sti...

quote:

^^That is why I posted it here. Some say it is good, while others say it wasn't? Also, at the time, I was under the impression that it was EOP based, just higher HTHS...

Something tells me you still don't get it.

You cant tell what kind of job PP Euro did without running it straight. It's like wiping before you poop.

But your mix looks good.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Something tells me you still don't get it.

Perhaps, I don't? I was under the impression that using the same brand type oils you can mix them to your desired viscosity?

So do you have anything constructive to say? I don't mind getting picked on for doing the wrong thing, but at least tell me what I could do better, so that I can learn from the experience...

quote:

Originally posted by oilyriser:
Are you checking the various gear oils for metal flakes? That's a lot of torque. Is the transmission beefed up on this model?

Yes it is. Subaru touted it as a reinforced HD transaxle....

A few other LGT's over on our board, are pumping out a fair amount more than me without any failure's so far. One is running in excess of 400whp/400trq, and a couple are right at that point. Mine put down 337/360, so I'm relatively confident it'll hold. I don't drop the clutch, or launch it hard, which is the main reason these break.

Not to mention, I'm on the stock clutch, which Subaru surely engineered to be the weakest link in the drivetrain.

I'd try the Mobil 1, 5w-40 in this application in that price range...I think you'll find it will be more shear stable and lower the bearing wear as a result. My second choice would be the Mobil 1/EP in the 10w-30 grade....

TS

How is Pb of 3 and Fe of 18 a problem?
banghead.gif
It did shear but this report in terms of wear is excellent.

quote:

Originally posted by 95_carvan:
You cant tell what kind of job PP Euro did without running it straight. It's like wiping before you poop.

You get it.
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back