Pelican Ice Chest

Just bought a Lifetime 77 quart for use for the crew at work, I’ll get reimbursed for it, it looks like a great ice chest but was upset to read reviews that the rope handles cant be replaced.

Anyhow, I’d like to buy a 50 quart to keep in my truck and for trips. I’ve been eyeing the Pelican ice chests for years, those of you with them how do you like them and the ice retention?

Secure it as in strap it down when in the bed of my truck or secure it as in lock it with a chain? Itll stay in my bed 24/7.

Im now deciding between a Pelican and a Techni ice, they are built in Australia and built like an absolute tank, with 3 inches of insulation. Kong Coolers seem well built also.

Get one of these - https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

It will at least fend off 99% of the thieves looking for a quick score.

I think you will be satisfied with the Pelican for the price. As with any of these coolers, the fine print on anything talking about ice retention says they don't start counting the minutes until they've had ice in them for XX period of time, nothing was added that wasn't pre-chilled, etc. It's a LOT better than a POS Igloo, I will say that.

I have a wheeled Pelican that I used this last weekend camping at the IndyCar race. I've had it for many years. Great cooler. No issues at this point nor any known pending issues.

I have a wheeled Pelican that I used this last weekend camping at the IndyCar race. I've had it for many years. Great cooler. No issues at this point nor any known pending issues.

How well does it hold ice?

The Pelican coolers are TOP NOTCH and have the most ICE RETENTION. However, they are tops to getting stolen. I would paint/color out all the Pelican logos.... Nobody needs to know you got the best cooler on the market..... Perhaps the OtterBox coolers are better, but they have not restocked the larger sizes in years...

If it was my cooler I would be wrapping it with grey duct tape, hehe.

Last edited:
Back