Pat's [Goss] Perspective: thicker oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
He has a definite opinion on the matter, "outdated wacko bull", "morons", "mental fantasy" LOL

Did the manufacturer call for BG products?

While I don't necessarily disagree with what he's saying, I do find it ironic he has a banner for BG in the background.

So if the engineers are so right. Why did they have to find ways around the EPA on diesels. Don't believe everything that you are told. Lots of under the table stuff goes on with what we are told and not to the benefit of the consumer.

Bull.
I run 5w-30 in my Civic 1.5T because Honda's "genius" engineers produced a Class 5 fuel diluter.
My A4 recommends VW502 or VW504 oil on the sticker under the hood.
And just about any car on the planet will have different specs btwn the USA and Europe/ROW.

Pat is often caught spewing outdated stuff from his mouth. That he has a TV podium makes it worse. If this latest only serves to have people check their owners manual, instead of listening to the teenager changing their oil at Sloppy Lube...then all's good.

Last edited:
He's basically right. Although, you can actually go about an added +0.5 higher HTHS from the oil recommended in your owner's manual and it could help you when towing, hauling, racing, and/or in hot weather. Going thicker than that is kinda useless. Example: there was a thread the other day, a guy with a '15 BMW M5 hot-rod who knew BMW said LL-01FE 0w30 HTHS 3.1 oil was fine for his engine. I tried to convince him that he didn't need anything higher than HTHS 3.6 for some "added margin" on top of BMW's own specs when driving it hard.

Of course, high fuel-diluter engines can probably go up to +1.0 HTHS higher with no ill effects. So there are exceptions, and sometimes slightly thicker is better for wear.

As pointed out already, the BG oil supplement sign behind him means he likes sponsor money more than good advice, since owner's manuals often say "don't use addtives".

Originally Posted by rideahorse
So if the engineers are so right. Why did they have to find ways around the EPA on diesels. Don't believe everything that you are told. Lots of under the table stuff goes on with what we are told and not to the benefit of the consumer.

What work arounds?

That thing was not engineering issue. It was cost saving.
For example, VW had to decide whether to install Bang&Olufsen and BOSE amplifiers and subwoofer in Audi Q7 TDI or additional DEF tank that would allow 10k on one DEF fill. They decided to go with amplifiers, and tweaked SCR system to allow 10k. SO they cheated so they could fit amplifiers and subwoofers at the bottom of the trunk.

Originally Posted by edyvw

That thing was not engineering issue. It was cost saving.
For example, VW had to decide whether to install Bang&Olufsen and BOSE amplifiers and subwoofer in Audi Q7 TDI or additional DEF tank that would allow 10k on one DEF fill. They decided to go with amplifiers, and tweaked SCR system to allow 10k. SO they cheated so they could fit amplifiers and subwoofers at the bottom of the trunk.

Yes never trust a car manufacturer that will lie to government because trust me you don't have a chance of mattering to them.

Engineers spec the oil for new cars and through the warranty period. After 200,000 miles the clearance between parts will increase. Don't see a problem using thicker oil on higher mileage engines.

I took offense at PG's warning about using high mileage oils in a new car, but this clip is generally right, although I did move my oil from 5w20 to 5w30 because of direct injection and shearing. Know a local semi-shadetree mechanic that uses 15w40 diesel in everything. I'd play him that clip but he wouldn't listen.

Last edited:
And this is exactly why I havent put 5/10w30 in my f150 so many have argued thats better. And then get the "cafe" oil lecture soon after....
coffee2.gif

Engineers design the cars but the final decision is influenced or may slightly be tweaked from dead center by other factors like bean counters, politics, environmentalists, etc.

I also question the statement that engines are designed to a specific oil parameter.

I would guess that the engine is designed for power/torque/smoothness/reliability goals. Then an oil is chosen based on what the oil is required to do in THAT engine.

We also need to remember that many Owners Manuals spec several different "acceptable " oils for varying conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back