Pat Goss on Motorweek TV show torn filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw today's episode of Motorweek and Goss Garage had a torn oil filter that damaged an engine. The filter media from the tear went through the oiling system and plugged up an oil jet for the timing chain. Anyone else see this episode. I am trying to find a link to it but found this one, I think it's an older one than I saw today.

http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/oil_filters/

Found the info on todays show but no video.

http://www.motorweek.org/features/goss_garage/cheap_oil_filters

I like how Mr. Goss brought up the resurgence of canister oil filters...... IT'S ABOUT TIME! He is right, produces less waste and allows inspection of media.

Originally Posted By: Pat Goss
...the real thing here: buy a high quality filter that is tailored to your car. Or better yet, spend a couple dollars more, buy the original equipment filter from the dealer. That way, you know 100% that all of the parts of that filter are going to match your engine.
Huh?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
I like how Mr. Goss brought up the resurgence of canister oil filters...... IT'S ABOUT TIME! He is right, produces less waste and allows inspection of media.

I think you meant cartridge.

Originally Posted By: Throckmorton
Originally Posted By: Pat Goss
...the real thing here: buy a high quality filter that is tailored to your car. Or better yet, spend a couple dollars more, buy the original equipment filter from the dealer. That way, you know 100% that all of the parts of that filter are going to match your engine.
Huh?
21.gif

I actually agree with Goss on this.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I might agree if he had proved that the defective filter itself was not actually an oem filter or was demonstrably worse. I think many aftermarket filters are at least as good as oem. Who is to say that the filter he showed was not an oem filter in many models?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I do like OEM filters, but I think that point's a bit overblown. How many engines from Ford used the Ford FL1A over the years (and the previous CFL1)? It's not going to be easy to convince me that the engines were carefully designed around those filters (and the two had significant differences, despite being specified for the same vehicles), or that the filters were carefully tailored for every engine that called for them.

However, at least the OEMs aren't flying relatively blind like the aftermarket filter manufacturers.
wink.gif

I think it would have to be an e-core but I did not see the show so I dont know
Can you tell what style it is??

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Exactly what parts of a filter have to match the engine?

The bypass valve. It allows oil to flow when pressure inside the can is too high. Also, when a new filter is tightened the gasket should make a good seal.

Aftermarket brands should be ok because because they are the same companies that make OE filters.

Looks like the new episode will be available this next week online. The thread title should be, Pat Goss links torn media to engine failure. Let the doubters speculate on the why it does not matter.

Purolator should pay attention now. If they are serious about addressing their issue they would offer a voluntary trade in for the problem filter models (store credit or PSL model).

Last edited:
Useless without info!

As bad as NBC's relationship with c/k pickups!

Let's take a good filter, stab it with a screwdriver, post a pic with anonymous info, and force you to buy filters from my retirement plan...

Hype it up baby, fear your filter!

Goss also says to be sure buy the filter from the dealer. That means on my Toyota I have to buy the zero efficiency, no end caps, can of death, no good for anything, Denso Thailand oil filter. I am being sarcastic about that if it isn't apparent.
I looked on the Bosch website, who bought Purolator, and they have four different grades of oil filters and filter media shown. There is no reason to not suspect the manufacturing process may have changed, and some machine is tearing the pleats as they are glued, or that the filter media now is not the same as before. No one complained about Purolator until after Bosch I don't believe. Everyone was crazy about Purolators. Now they sit dusty on the bottom shelf at my Walmart.
I found out the filter I ordered online to get free shipping was a Bosch "workshop", the lowest one. I am not going to use it now. It has a great paint job though, looks impressive from the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back