Oil And Filter Advice For A New To Me Truck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. My wife and I just bought a new to us pickup.

2011 Ford Ranger
4.0 V6
5 speed automatic
2wd
21000 miles on it (not a typo)
We drive 9-10k a year on average.

The owners manual says to use 5w-30 and oil changes every 5k. OEM oil is Motorcraft senthetic blend with a Motorcraft FL820s oil filter. I found this video from Pat Goss from Motorweek. Not sure if I can post links, so I hope I do not break forum rules. I would like your thoughts on oil and filter choice. We plan on keeping the truck for many years. We live on a small farm with my parents. Would be using the truck for short back road trips in the country and for hauling hay and up to 1000 pounds of feed.

https://youtu.be/UdzbRMy0sYU

You really can't go on with any. Modern 5 w30 out there and 5 k mile or 6 month oil changes. Some good prices available on Chevron Supreme and Havoline on Walmart.com

Last edited:
I guess you can get Mobil1 ep and M1 filter on sale right now and do a 1 year OCI

Last edited:
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n
Would be using the truck for short back road trips in the country and for hauling hay and up to 1000 pounds of feed.

Under the conditions you describe I would use a thicker oil and change the OCI to 3000 miles.

Last edited:
Keep rolling / trucking with Motorcraft 5w30. If you want to try full synthetic, tht's fine too.
Only thing I would change is the filter brand.. Buy Wix, Napa Gold (on sale). Better filters without the need to spend big money on Ultras, Mobil-1 filters......etc.

With yours / your wife's driving habits, stay with 5K OCIs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SlavaB
I guess you can get Mobil1 ep and M1 filter on sale right now and do a 1 year OCI

Thats what I'd do. Grab M1 and M1 filter at Walmart, get the rebate ... Inspect both the oil and filter before you buy, particularly make sure the louvres are open in the center tube of the filter. Make sure the anti tamper cap is intact on the oil and when you get ready to use it that the foil seal is also intact.

My Ranger takes a FL400S and I'm ok with those, but I would not run an FL820S based on what we have seen from them lately.

If you want to substitute a Fram Ultra those are even better and you'll still get a rebate on the oil so you're only a few bucks more.

5/30 is just fine.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Keep rolling / trucking with Motorcraft 5w30. If you want to try full synthetic, tht's fine too.
Only thing I would change is the filter brand.. Buy Wix, Napa Gold (on sale). Better filters without the need to spend big money on Ultras, Mobil-1 filters......etc.

With yours / your wife's driving habits, stay with 5K OCIs.

+ a few
smile.gif

Where do you get your farm filters? If you frequent NAPA stores, or have delivered, they have good stuff too
smile.gif

I took a company Ranger V6 4x4 to 258K before it went to auction. Switched up to Delo 400 15W-40 at around 125K and drove it into the sunset.

Last edited:
Gotta appreciate Pat Goss Discussing going from high mileage oil to regular oil and how the seals may have swelled and then going back to regular oil, seals can have more clearance.

I'm one for changing oil once before the hot months in summer and once before it gets too cold to do it outside in the winter. Previously in the summer I may revert to a 10w30 or 10w40 if the car has been using oil.

Originally Posted by beanoil
NAPA oils on sale now in April.
21.98 for 5 quarts and a Platinum filter.
Hard to go wrong there. Get 2, repeat next spring.

I agree with this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back