Parking Lot etiquette -angled parking

Maybe it’s time to move to a 1 horse town so you don’t have to worry about AH that back in. 🤷‍♂️

Personally I always back my truck in unless I need to load stuff in the bed. It makes it easier when leaving to see the people with the zoomies that would hit me if I was backing out.

Just my $0.02
Nah we back in in our 1 horse towns as well 😉

I’ll pull through if it’s not angle parking, if it’s up against a curb I’ll back in.

I had to look up this angle parking stuff. I think I will stick to my one horse town where I can park in the back 40 and pull through instead.

Maybe it’s time to move to a 1 horse town so you don’t have to worry about AH that back in. 🤷‍♂️

Personally I always back my truck in unless I need to load stuff in the bed. It makes it easier when leaving to see the people with the zoomies that would hit me if I was backing out.

Just my $0.02
My work strongly encouraged us to park such that we could drive out forwards. This often involved backing into a spot, unless one could pull through.

Of course this wasn't required for diagonal parking, but that's rare here.

More of an AH move when you have to gingerly back out of a spot because you can't see cross traffic.

It is. You pass the spot, verify that it is clear, and back in. You can then easily see cross traffic when you leave, because you're facing it.
I know it's marginally safer especially for those who can't use a back up camera or have neck issues.
Whenever I use the company 26' flatbed truck to run personal errands, I'm banished to the loading zone area.

This is the driver I'll blow my air horn at for not looking good enough when backing out of a stall.
That's fine. Drivers have to be aware so it's no big deal.

I will say the absolute worst are people who drive the wrong way down angles rows and then struggle to make the 390 degree turn into a space.

Always enjoy the AH who must back into an angled parking spot.

People who make others wait so they can back into a parking spot already tilt me.
I especially hate the ones who spend like an hour trying to back in their huge pos, and in the end, they're parked crooked as hell, taking up both their spot and the spot next to them.

I drive a Focus so no problem parking anywhere. Of course anywhere for me means way out in the boonies of any store lot to stay away from the rest of the crowd who can't park between lines. I'll walk the 50-75 yards to the store. Keeps me thin.

I know it's marginally safer especially for those who can't use a back up camera or have neck issues.
I'd say half the cars on the road don't have backup cameras and of those, half or more aren't very good. The one in the Camry I just rented was very poor.

Technology doesn't really change driving fundamentals.

The proper etiquette for angled parking is don't pull through so that it's nose out. Making that turn into the direction of traffic is much more difficult. My hitch rack on my car has been destroyed by a truck that parked nose out and hit my car trying to make a tight turn out.
Nope, sorry, I'm still going to pull through. 😀 Leaving forward is easier and safer than backing out into a pedestrian who technically has the right of way but seems to put extra effort into appearing out of nowhere and being unaware of their surroundings. Though I'll pull forward with a full-size vehicle not with something even bigger.

I don't know why people with extra long and wide vehicles don't simply park 50 feet farther away and make driving in and out easier on everybody including themselves. Nobody cares if someone even take up two spots as long as they park farther away.

And UPS.

Presumably they have some data on accident prevention and safe driving.

According to my buddy (UPS driver), they frown on backing unless you have a reason( like you're in a weird cul-de-sac) and for no reason is the driver allowed to do blind-side backing.

I especially hate the ones who spend like an hour trying to back in their huge pos, and in the end, they're parked crooked as hell, taking up both their spot and the spot next to them.
I was sitting in my car eating my lunch one day, and some guy decided to back into the spot next to me.... It took him three or four tries, each time winding up crooked, too far over, or some other such issue (I think the spot itself was pretty narrow). So once they got parked, the kid in the back seat opened his door and of course it banged into my car. Being the jerk that I am, I rolled down my window and chastised the father for making all that effort to park "special" only to have the kid ding my car anyway. It was right about at the moment the other kid kicked open the door on his side and dinged the car on the other side too!

I was sitting in my car eating my lunch one day, and some guy decided to back into the spot next to me.... It took him three or four tries, each time winding up crooked, too far over, or some other such issue (I think the spot itself was pretty narrow). So once they got parked, the kid in the back seat opened his door and of course it banged into my car. Being the jerk that I am, I rolled down my window and chastised the father for making all that effort to park "special" only to have the kid ding my car anyway. It was right about at the moment the other kid kicked open the door on his side and dinged the car on the other side too!
Would him pulling in have prevented the ding?

Maybe his front bumper would have given you a little swipe when he backed out.

Nope, sorry, I'm still going to pull through. 😀 Leaving forward is easier and safer than backing out into a pedestrian who technically has the right of way but seems to put extra effort into appearing out of nowhere and being unaware of their surroundings. Though I'll pull forward with a full-size vehicle not with something even bigger.

I don't know why people with extra long and wide vehicles don't simply park 50 feet farther away and make driving in and out easier on everybody including themselves. Nobody cares if someone even take up two spots as long as they park farther away.
To pull forward and out into the intended traffic direction means your turning radius much tighter, and the traffic lane width is usually a vehicle's width, so you have much more trouble driving out, so which in my case, my car got hit (and saw the video footage)... unless you plan on driving against the flow of traffic, and what happens if there is a person driving down that row? You going to drive in reverse or force the other person drive in reverse, because you're the inconsiderate idiot driving the wrong way?

Angle_parking_lot_diagram.PNG

Back