parking car for 20 days outside

Im starting a new job. 20 days on, 10 off. Ill be leaving my minivan in an outside secured lot 20 days at a time.

My concern is mostly the fuel. I don't want to store it with a full tank because I'll never burn a full tank in the 10 days off.

So would a 1/4 tank be fine? This is in Edmonton where temps will routinely hit -30c

Also the battery. These minivans have adaptive transmissions that move the shift points based on the driver. It takes a few cycles to map this so I would prefer to leave the battery connected. You think it would be flat after 20 days?

What year? The evaporative emissions limits brought about in recent years means the fuel system is very well sealed. Gas does not evaporate off and thus gas does not go stale nearly as fast. I’d be more worried about the battery going flat.

What year? The evaporative emissions limits brought about in recent years means the fuel system is very well sealed. Gas does not evaporate off and thus gas does not go stale nearly as fast. I’d be more worried about the battery going flat.
2009 grand caravan se

Don't worry about the fuel.

Keep the battery hooked up. If the lot has outlets for plugging in block heaters you could set up a maintainer on it if you are that worried. I would just keep a good set of jumper cables in it and park so that you can get to the front of it to jump it.

I wouldn’t worry a ton about the fuel. Low temperatures mean slow chemical reactions and low evaporation, in a sealed system.

The battery could get low and freeze in those conditions. If there’s no way to plug it to a maintainer, perhaps you could use a solar charger to get a little boost once in a while when not snow covered?

My biggest thing about cars sitting outside is the paint, rubber and plastic. Your battery will be fine, your gas will be fine, but I would wash it, put a paint sealer on it, treat the plastic and rubber and use a windshield sunscreen. Contaminants like bird poop, tree sap and jet fuel are less likely to stick / scar if there's a sealer on top of the clear coat.

We park out cars outside daily anyway but we used to park my cars outside for 30 plus days when we went to FL for the month(mid Apr to mid May) every year for 20something years. The brake rotors were a little rusty when we came home but a decent drive took care of that.

I often park my car at the airport for weeks at a time (occupational hazard). Granted, it’s inside.

I fill it up before I park, so that the gas is fresh and chances of condensation are minimized.

I take a long drive, at least 30 minutes, in each intervening period, to ensure good battery charge level. My car (the S600) is known for a high quiescent drain, but it’s also got a very large AGM battery.

It always starts.

Your van will, too. Just follow what I do: long drive at least once, fill it up.

If it were my car I'd be most worried about the catalytic converter being stolen. But you say it's a secure lot.

Enjoy your work, forget about your car.

Fill the tank up and the gas lasts for quite a while I have used 1 year old gas with out any problem. If you are concerned add some stabil, or a bit of two stroke oil or some snake oil type or additive. When I used to drive truck as an owner operator I would some times be away from home for 2 months at a time . There wasn't any problems other than taking a bit of time to get used to driving a small vehicle because you get used to driving the truck.

Get yourself a lithium booster pack and carry it with you to work! they are compact take up no room ( no worries of the cold killing it .)
I have one it works amazingly well.

Back