Paint protection. It’s all futile.

7246.jpeg

For those who are really into paint, what do you do when a stone hits your hood, or a person dents your door with theirs?

I’ve seriously wondered that with an exotic car etc. it’s as if you have to drive when no one else is on the road.

For those who are really into paint, what do you do when a stone hits your hood, or a person dents your door with theirs?

I’ve seriously wondered that with an exotic car etc. it’s as if you have to drive when no one else is on the road.
Bro. 😂
Last week I had a concrete truck throw up two stones and one chipped my front end and a good sized stone hit my back door..a nice ding up high...
Not happy at all...

Last edited:
Bro. 😂
Last week I had a concrete truck through up two stones and one chipped my front end and a good sized stone hit my back door..a nice ding up high...
Not happy at all...
Man my 335 was about 2 yo and a dump truck sprayed my car…I felt as if I had no reason to live 😆

At that time I had the protection package so I made an appt. This guy spent like 20 min mixing paint and 2 hours touching up the car. I actually concluded wow, that’s no better than if I had done it with the touch up tubes, and also, it’s very imperfect now, the paint filled in craters and can be seen…

Man my 335 was about 2 yo and a dump truck sprayed my car…I felt as if I had no reason to live 😆

At that time I had the protection package so I made an appt. This guy spent like 20 min mixing paint and 2 hours touching up the car. I actually concluded wow, that’s no better than if I had done it with the touch up tubes, and also, it’s very imperfect now, the paint filled in craters and can be seen…
I had a typo sorry...
Yup I am still ticked. I usually never get dings or dents..
At this point my fear is if I fix them the next day it would happen all over again

Every rock chip, scratch, and ding tells a story. A vehicle's finish is an exiting display of history. Scars add character. It's the same with watches. That expensive timepiece is just bland and characterless until you smack it for the first time into rusty rebar. It get's easier from here on. At least I keep telling myself that.

It cracks me up when folks have basically a "normal" car...wer'e not talking 911 etc. and they are going on with their 10x paint correction and nano Unicorn milk ceramic whatever coat spending a grand on this stuff when a regular ol' wax coat will look the same...just may not last as long. Save you money, wash your car regularly with some decent products and put some polish on once a year. Worked for me forever and I can't tell you how many times I've been told randomaly (gas station, parking lot, etc.) how nice my cars look.

Every rock chip, scratch, and ding tells a story. A vehicle's finish is an exiting display of history. Scars add character. It's the same with watches. That expensive timepiece is just bland and characterless until you smack it for the first time into rusty rebar. It get's easier from here on. At least I keep telling myself that.
Maybe I’m in the minority, but when I witness an imbecile carelessly slamming their car door onto my car door, I’m not cherishing the extra “character” my car was just supplemented with…

It’s about consistency and discipline.

You brush your teeth every morning **** well knowing you’re not going to get all day protection and will have to do the same thing at night and tomorrow morning until the day you die.

Waxing and coating isn’t the solve all problems solution, but it’s sure as hell better than the alternative and that’s doing nothing.

Water beading. Looks nice, but seriously? What scientific evidence is there that water beading is more than wishful thinking?

And UV protection? Oh please. I’ve watched the videos with UV meters. Max was like 3% UVA reduction.

Oxidation? I’ve seen no controlled study on this either.

It all smells like marketing to me. If I had the means, I would go to a junkyard and get a body panel from a late model wrecked vehicle and leave it exposed outside for years. One side “protected” by these products and the other left barren. I suspect the difference would be none!

Note, I am ranting about long term protection. Not aesthetics. The products make a car look pretty for sure, but protection seems like a lost cause to me.

Is there any empirical evidence that wax/coatings/sealants/ceramics, blah blah blah, do anything but make us feel better?
Purchased 2018 Forrester brand new five years ago immediately had the car ceramic coated, maintain monthly, regular wash, spray coating etc. after five years clear-coat failure so no I don’t think it makes a difference

10 year old Ford Focus. Just washes and basic Turtle Wax once a year. Paint looks great. All this stuff while cool and great for IG likes is unnecessary.
20230703_095439.jpg

Our Nissan just passed 10 years old and has been waxed, ceramic coated, washed & spray waxed.... more often than any vehicle I've owned. Sort of as an experiment. It's garaged at home but not at work all day. Unfortunately some on the plastic flat surface are showing oxidation, the spoiler is the worst, the top of the bumper is just starting to show some bad spots. Can't polish them out, it's like the paint just degrades over time or something gets absorbed into the plastic.
Similar to what’s happening with my five year old Subaru

You have a beater then....
I've never had a car that didn't look near perfect. It really doesn't take much effort to make a car look good. Most of my cars have been at least 10 years old at some point.

10 year old Ford Focus. Just washes and basic Turtle Wax once a year. Paint looks great. All this stuff while cool and great for IG likes is unnecessary.

It helps that the vehicle posted is a lighter color. Swirl marks don't show as easily.

Back