Do spray waxes/coatings provide real paint protection?

Take one car that's been polished,protected and washed properly. Put that up against one that's just been washed (no polish/protection) and I bet 10 out of 10 people can tell after 5 yrs what's been protected what hasn't. Polish/clean ur paint once a yr, wash and spray wax/seal as you dry.

Just saw I got mentioned in this thread. My take is that it's highly unlikely anything you apply short of a clearcoat will have meaningful protection. Waxes, sealants and coatings are just too thin and the presence of UV inhibitors/protectants in the solution doesn't mean they stick to the paint.

What is important to understand is that waxes, sealants and coatings protect your paint and clear coat. Clear coat protects your paint from UV. So protect your clearcoat and you get UV protection as it does it's job. All cars left outside ultimately fade, the sun is a beast. However, I know 100% for certain that well maintained, washed and waxed cars look good much longer than those that are neglected.

Take one car that's been polished,protected and washed properly. Put that up against one that's just been washed (no polish/protection) and I bet 10 out of 10 people can tell after 5 yrs what's been protected what hasn't. Polish/clean ur paint once a yr, wash and spray wax/seal as you dry.

This is absolutely true, because you save and maintain your clear coat!

Keep those cars clean guys :)!

I think you're likely correct. This is an industry where there are no industry standard bench tests that can actually show, definitively, what these products actually do and how they compare. In the detailing world it's marketing and word of mouth.

I'm not a professional detailer by any means, but I think keeping up with your vehicle periodically and using any name brand will keep your car looking good.

Yes but a good sio2 like hcw or griots ceramic with two or maybe three coatings is what Id do for a good layer of protection.

Yes but a good sio2 like hcw or griots ceramic with two or maybe three coatings is what Id do for a good layer of protection.
I agree that paint maintenance helps for longevity, but remember that the "layer" you speak of is measured in molecules thick, not mils, unless you are talking about one of those expensive products that is literally "painted on" with an applicator.

I think you're likely correct. This is an industry where there are no industry standard bench tests that can actually show, definitively, what these products actually do and how they compare. In the detailing world it's marketing and word of mouth.

I'm not a professional detailer by any means, but I think keeping up with your vehicle periodically and using any name brand will keep your car looking good.

I agree. There is plenty of evidence that pollutants and minerals exacerbate damage to the clearcoat. Once that happens it is a domino effect from that point onward.

Back