Paint protection. It’s all futile.

I quit waxing a few years ago, I just don't care anymore and would rather spend my time doing something more productive.
Same here. Not that I don't care how my vehicles looks, it's just that I don't find waxes and sealants add that much to the look and protection. After I wash with ONR, or Optimum Car wash soap, I really can't tell the difference between that vs wash and wax.

20 year old Volvo paint. Looks like the day I bought it. Sealed with Nufinish for the 1st 15 years of it's life and then Hydro Silex for the past 5 years. I'd say it has helped immensely in keeping the paint in good condition.
jlxDnSa.jpg

gu4kRg5.jpg

20 year old Volvo paint. Looks like the day I bought it. Sealed with Nufinish for the 1st 15 years of it's life and then Hydro Silex for the past 5 years. I'd say it has helped immensely in keeping the paint in good condition.
jlxDnSa.jpg

gu4kRg5.jpg
I would agree. I see a few of these on the road still and none of them have paint that looks that good.

jlxDnSa.jpg

gu4kRg5.jpg

Looks great, garage queen?

Paint sealants are a sacrificial layer of protecting the car paint so you don't have to sacrifice the actual paint to the sun.

Most sealants are designed to degrade by uv rays and refract the uv rays rather than block them.

Most sealants also seal paint from oxygen when properly applied, consequently uv oxidation is also decreased tremendously because there is a lack of oxygen being exposed to the paint, thus slowing uv oxidation.

Yes your paint will eventually oxidize even when sealed but will happen when the car is almost borderline turning into dust after 2 centuries of still being waxed.

Most sealants also seal paint from oxygen when properly applied, consequently uv oxidation is also decreased tremendously because there is a lack of oxygen being exposed to the paint, thus slowing uv oxidation.

Yes your paint will eventually oxidize even when sealed but will happen when the car is almost borderline turning into dust after 2 centuries of still being waxed.
This is a great point I never thought about it that way. Optimum Car Wax was apparently one of the few products that claimed to have proprietary UVb/a inhibitors that migrating through the clear coat, per Dr. G. I don't know much about it, but what you said makes sense.

I quit waxing a few years ago, I just don't care anymore and would rather spend my time doing something more productive.
70 and retired, love shining my vehicles, built up a collection of sprays and waxes, always like to try the latest and greatest products, love to get out in the garage, to me it's my way of relaxing and getting something done, plus it get's me out of the house and listening to my better half. :LOL:

Why does my paint on my vehicle look so much better after a few year than my neighbors paint on his vehicle? Why-on a recent trade in the dealer told me it's one of the cleanest vehicles he has seen on trade in? AND-the trade in amount reflect that. (Way more than anticipated by about $1,900.000). That's evidence enough for me.
Lol.
NADA doesn't care if you wax or not.

Water beading. Looks nice, but seriously? What scientific evidence is there that water beading is more than wishful thinking?

And UV protection? Oh please. I’ve watched the videos with UV meters. Max was like 3% UVA reduction.

Oxidation? I’ve seen no controlled study on this either.

It all smells like marketing to me. If I had the means, I would go to a junkyard and get a body panel from a late model wrecked vehicle and leave it exposed outside for years. One side “protected” by these products and the other left barren. I suspect the difference would be none!

Note, I am ranting about long term protection. Not aesthetics. The products make a car look pretty for sure, but protection seems like a lost cause to me.

Is there any empirical evidence that wax/coatings/sealants/ceramics, blah blah blah, do anything but make us feel better?
I wouldn't call it futile. I would compare it to all the beauty products on the shelves promising younger looking skin. Do they work? Yes minimally but they do work. A hydrated exfoliated skin will look better with progression of time than a skin that had nothing done to it.

Will it make you young? Of course not! (Only transfusing blood from a new born child during the fill moon at summer solstice will do that.... But I digress). But it will make you look younger than someone who had nothing done over their span of their life.

Agreed. The recent proliferation of ceramic coatings etc....regular ol' Turtle Wax and regular washes are fine.

One of the resident chemists may want to explain the relevance of conjugated bonds in UV absorbers, how they work, and if their use makes sense.

Lol.
NADA doesn't care if you wax or not.
The dealer defiantly cares. They like clean cars. I have received high book (or more) on each and every trade in, Sorry-if the vehicle looked liked it sat in the middle of World War Three-it wouldn't have been appraised high.

How many new cars have you bought-and what was your trade in situation?

Back