Paging the Oil Filter Experts!

For decades I've been using Purolator for my ole F250 with its 7.3 diesel (change oil annually sometimes only 1000 miles or so but a lot of stop/go driving).
But NOW and as I needed with my Corvette no local retailers carry Purolator sooooo I got stuck with this $8.00 Ecogard or, I could have purchased whatever Napa sells (Napa Gold) that I believe is now made in China.
On the inside this Ecogard kinda looks like Autozone's $5.00 STP filter.
I can purchase the Purolator on Amazon and eBay but, counterfeit and/or second-quality items being delivered concern me.
I purchased a Purolator oil filter for my Vette... in came wrapped in bubble wrap, no box... I may not use it. The seller told be he "buys them by the pallet" ... but who knows if they're 1'st quality or blems.
Thanks for your feedback!

filter.jpg

There made by Premium Guard and there generally well liked around here. I have used and liked them. They come under a number of different brands. 8 bucks is pretty steep for the standard version - they make also a "premium" or "synthetic" version that is a little bit better. But if you don't mind the price then that's likely the only issue.

Is that one made in China or made in Vietnam? Not that it matters - just curios?

As a long time Wix user - I won't use Wix or Purolator anymore since M&H bought both of them. There quality has degraded a lot IMHO.

Last edited:
There made by Premium Guard and there generally well liked around here. I have used and liked them. They come under a number of different brands. 8 bucks is pretty steep for the standard version - they make also a "premium" or "synthetic" version that is a little bit better. But if you don't mind the price then that's likely the only issue.

Is that one made in China or made in Vietnam? Not that it matters - just curios?

As a long time Wix user - I won't use Wix or Purolator anymore since M&H bought both of them. There quality has degraded a lot IMHO.
I agree with you - I do remember back when a Mann filter was good.

Thanks for your feedback... suppose as 'ok' as this over priced filter is, it's better then the $5 STP filter I almost bought.
Box states... "see product for manufactures origin" ... too late as it's already on the engine. When I go under to grease the front end I'll look to see 'if' I can see anything.
*** disappointed to know the once trusted Purolator is not all that good anymore... so much for my 'brand loyalty'.
Suppose I'll have to research replacement manufactures for my Corvette and again when the old Diesel is due for next years oil change.
I don't rack-up the miles I use to... on either vehicle, plus/minus 1000/15000 annually.

I agree with you - I do remember back when a Mann filter was good.
I'm curious about this comment. Are you literally saying Mann is no longer good? I'm not picking a fight, just looking for info.
FWIW, the Mann filters I've recently cut open are really nice. They were for VW and Jaguar.

I think I've come to the conclusion that filter quality often has much to do with the car they are spec'd for and less to do with the country of manufacture.

The Bosch Premium filters for my focus are made in Mexico and are a little rough looking. Lots of oozing glue and misaligned tubes.
The Bosch cartridge filter for my Mazda 6 is made in Vietnam, it looks and feels very solid... I think it should though, as it has far fewer components than a can filter.
Lastly, the Bosch Premium can filter for my Jag looks very well made, even though it was made in China.
I think the fact that the Jag filter is also spec'd for the following cars means that it is simply built to higher standard and the fact they were made in China had no negative impact on their quality:

• ASTON MARTIN: 1997-98 DB7
  • BENTLEY: 2006-09 Arnage, 2007-08 Azure, 2008 Brooklands, 1982-83 Corniche
  • BENTLEY: 1984,1986 Eight, 1981-83,1987 Mulsanne, 1988 Turbo R
  • JAGUAR: 2000-08 S-Type, 2005-09 Super V8, 2009-10 XF, 1976-97 XJ6, 1998-09 XJ8, 1976-79,1994-96 XJ12, 1993 XJRS, 1976-96 XJS, 2007-09 XK, 1997-06 XK8

For decades I've been using Purolator for my ole F250 with its 7.3 diesel (change oil annually sometimes only 1000 miles or so but a lot of stop/go driving).
But NOW and as I needed with my Corvette no local retailers carry Purolator sooooo I got stuck with this $8.00 Ecogard or, I could have purchased whatever Napa sells (Napa Gold) that I believe is now made in China.
On the inside this Ecogard kinda looks like Autozone's $5.00 STP filter.
I can purchase the Purolator on Amazon and eBay but, counterfeit and/or second-quality items being delivered concern me.
I purchased a Purolator oil filter for my Vette... in came wrapped in bubble wrap, no box... I may not use it. The seller told be he "buys them by the pallet" ... but who knows if they're 1'st quality or blems.
Thanks for your feedback!

View attachment 221838
Good Morning HammerDown,
What year and engine is your Corvette?

I disagree with some assertions that Purolator filters are "Not Good". :LOL:
It's usually best to decide for yourself & cut up the filter to see what quality it has.
I doubt the filters you're buying are counterfeit but Amazon does have a good return policy so there's no issue in some rare event.
The Ecogard should be a good quality filter but again... cut it open to find out.

I'm curious about this comment. Are you literally saying Mann is no longer good? I'm not picking a fight, just looking for info.
FWIW, the Mann filters I've recently cut open are really nice. They were for VW and Jaguar.
You used to have boutique companies making high quality stuff.

Before and during the pandemic big companies like first brands and M&H could borrow money for very low rates. There accountants looked at these companies and said "hmmm, there customers pay much more for these products than they do for ours. We should buy them, make their stuff cheaper, and we will make a ton of profit". So they did.

So in some cases the filters have changed, and some cases not. In some cases the filters change back and forth on a regular basis. In some cases COO matters, and sometimes it doesn't matter.

The only thing consistent is the price goes up because there is less competition.

Last edited:

I think I've come to the conclusion that filter quality often has much to do with the car they are spec'd for and less to do with the country of manufacture.

The Bosch Premium filters for my focus are made in Mexico and are a little rough looking. Lots of oozing glue and misaligned tubes.
The Bosch cartridge filter for my Mazda 6 is made in Vietnam, it looks and feels very solid... I think it should though, as it has far fewer components than a can filter.
Lastly, the Bosch Premium can filter for my Jag looks very well made, even though it was made in China.
I think the fact that the Jag filter is also spec'd for the following cars means that it is simply built to higher standard and the fact they were made in China had no negative impact on their quality:

• JAGUAR: 2000-08 S-Type, 2005-09 Super V8, 2009-10 XF, 1976-97 XJ6, 1998-09 XJ8, 1976-79,1994-96 XJ12, 1993 XJRS, 1976-96 XJS, 2007-09 XK, 1997-06 XK8

It's a fallacy to think filters going in expensive cars are built to a higher standard

ecogard is an excellent filter some of the best for overseas made. from a quick internet search $8 is a good price you paid for this filter.

I use Mann filters in European cars, VW and Mercedes and they are the best looking filters, same as Mahle and Hengst.

I really don't know what happened with Wix and Purolator. Unless 'Mann Filter' is a different company than 'Mann & Hummel', but I haven't looked into it.

Jumped on Amazon to look as they had a big EcoGard blowout a couple months ago. Picked up a few X4612's for wifes Mazda at like $2.35 each. Your filter is like $14.95 right now. So, yeah, $8 seems like a good price. I have never been disappointed in a PG filter. Bought two cases of their standard filters (PG4612.) Great filter for a standard OCI.

Filters made in both those countries are used on many different cars, so it seems that where they are made, and the quality control used in those factories, is the main factor effecting the quality of the same filter brands/models ... not what cars they are made for. Companies who have factories in many different countries need to ensure the manufacturing is up to their standards in all their factories, but it seems that's not always the case for whatever reasons. Most likely stemming from bad production management.

Very good discussion and that is what this is all about.

I was replying to another members comment about MH quality not being as good based on his experience. I think you hit the nail on the head that the specific vehicle application can determine the quality. Is this 100 for certain, probably not. I can tell you that I noticed the filters not being as good on different american models but on the Jaguars and Land Rovers they look exactly like they always have. I think the real issues came into play when Wix and Purolater became part of the Mann business - they no doubt consolidated filter types and manufacturing to save money. So where you my have gotten an original M&H filter from Germany in the past, now you get random rebadged Purolater or Wix in it's place and that is were the issue, I think, comes into play. Just say the filter production was watered down by making common styles the same across the 3 divisions. I might be wrong but that is what I think happened and why, on BITOG, you will see references to the Mann filters not being as highly regarded as they once were.

Back