P215/70R14 with a whitewall... obviously not a whole lot of choice anymore.

Tirerack says those Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II are made in the US.
Some are and some are not. I have a set of 4 on my truck right now and they are from Mexico. I think they either made the swtich completely in rcent years or they do production in both USA and Mexico for the same tire model.

Some are and some are not. I have a set of 4 on my truck right now and they are from Mexico. I think they either made the swtich completely in rcent years or they do production in both USA and Mexico for the same tire model.
Important part is the tires in that size are made in the USA

Gotta wonder why most whitewalls and white stripes died sometime in the 90’s

wouldn’t think a white stripe was that hard to place on a tire

With this marker, any tire can be a whitewall :D

61uSQ1toPWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

With this marker, any tire can be a whitewall :D

61uSQ1toPWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I think that up through the '70's, there were mobile tire whitewallers that would go around to car lots with some machine that would grind a grove in the sidewall and fill it in with a white compound to turn the blackwall into a whitewall. And I bought a can of this tire paint from JCWhitney back in the '80's to restore some wide whites on an old Caddy.

Tire paint.jpg

I went through this last year with my G Body (see thread)
I'm very happy with the Nexens, for the price
They also look the part
IMG_20200826_231451.jpg

I placed an order today for 4 of the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires, in whitewall. Why? Well, if there's an easily available tire, that is as close to being "period correct" for a 35 year old car (without going through some sort of a specialty tire vendor)... then the Tiger Paw is it.

TireBuyer actaully had them priced at $80 each, which was within a few bucks of the Nexen. When TireBuyer slipped me a 10% off discount code, which was enough to cover the taxes and tire fees, that was enough to get me to buy.

They claim to have them in stock in a Chicago area warehouse, so I should have them early next week. Hopefully they aren't over two years old already... we'll see.

That is a sharp looking Cougar!
I saw that you made your tire choice. For those curious, the Milestar 775's I bought last year were made in China.
Noticed that Town Fair Tire no longer carries them- my guess is pandemic related shortage.

I placed an order today for 4 of the Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II tires, in whitewall. Why? Well, if there's an easily available tire, that is as close to being "period correct" for a 35 year old car (without going through some sort of a specialty tire vendor)... then the Tiger Paw is it.

TireBuyer actaully had them priced at $80 each, which was within a few bucks of the Nexen. When TireBuyer slipped me a 10% off discount code, which was enough to cover the taxes and tire fees, that was enough to get me to buy.

They claim to have them in stock in a Chicago area warehouse, so I should have them early next week. Hopefully they aren't over two years old already... we'll see.
Solid choice. You'll also be pleased with how they handle for not being expensive performance tires. Will they sit for years without cracking? I guess you're going to find out eventually. :)

I have to (there's no choice here) buy a set of P215/70R14 tires, with whitewalls. Without even looking, and considering the year I stopped driving this car as a daily driver, I know that the tires that are on the car now are around 20-25 years old, and I'm not even going to attempt driving on them anymore... not even just far enough to get them replaced.

I didn't expect to find a whole lot of choice here, and I was correct. Yes, the tires will need to be whitewalls, due to the car itself and the era in which it is from. No, it simply won't look right with blackwalls or raised white letters. Blackwalls would be a lot cheaper... but no.

View attachment 55745

Without going to some place like Coker TIre, I have found 3 whitewall choices which are easy to obtain online, and are relatively reasonably priced. What is nice about this purchase, is that things such as mileage warranty, traction, or tread design are not a factor at all. The only consideration here is that the tires will dry out/age out before they wear out.

1) Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II, which are $81-$103 each, depending on the vendor. This is a tire which has existed for at least a decade without any noticeable changes. 6 year warranty. Cannot find a country of manufacture.

2) Milestar MS775, which are $79-$94 each. My reaction is that these just seem overpriced for a Milestar tire. Again, a tire that appears to have existed for at least a decade, with no noticeable changes. 5 year warranty. Cannot find a country of manufacture.

3) Nexen AH5, which are $74-$81 each. This tire that is available from the most vendors, and at the best price. It is by far the newest design. This is the tire that I really didn't expect to find in a whitewall in this size. 6 year warranty. Cannot find a country of manufacture.

I was expecting to find something offered from Cooper (such as the Mastercraft A/S IV). But no... nothing out there. This is the direction that I was already planning to go in. I do believe the tires that are on the car now, were manufactured by Cooper for Tire America, and sold as the "Patriot" brand.

My reaction is to toss out the Uniroyal, as rubber that comes from the Michelin family has the tendency to not age gracefully, at all. Time is the biggest issue at play here. My second reaction is to toss the Milestar due to price and general overall unknowns with Tireco/Milestar, plus the other two have a longer warranty.

That leaves me with the tire that I didn't expect to find on this list, the Nexen. Of all of these, it is by far the newest design, it has the best price, the largest number of available vendors, and is tied for the longest warranty at 6 years.

I've never come across a nexen that lasted though, but never came across these. In europe, Uniroyal is a Continental subsidiary, so no valid experience with them. But Michelins last the longest, even with the ageing.

I think that up through the '70's, there were mobile tire whitewallers that would go around to car lots with some machine that would grind a grove in the sidewall and fill it in with a white compound to turn the blackwall into a whitewall. And I bought a can of this tire paint from JCWhitney back in the '80's to restore some wide whites on an old Caddy.

View attachment 55819
You can restore the white in a yellowed whitewall by lightly scrubbing with old style Scotch pads (or probably with steel wool and soapy water). Works quite well.

I don't suppose you can do that forever but it works quite well on newer tires.

Hankook offers that size in whitewall are least they did as of 3 years ago. I have the 205/75R14 on one of my Mazda trucks. Purchased them from Sam’s Club originally. Sam’s tried to sell me the size you are looking for that’s how I know they had them because they had ordered the wrong ones originally.

The FedEx driver stopped with goodies today, 4 new Uniroyal bluewall tires.

The good... February, 2021 (0521) production. :D The bad... Made in Mexico. :poop::poop::poop::poop:

They do have a nice lightly serrated band, in which the Uniroyal and Tiger Paw names are printed into. Quite subtle, yet classy. I think my phone did a great job with the pictures, in showing this.

The whitewall is right at 15mm in width. The tires that are on the car now, have whitewalls at 25mm in width.

I'm pleased with my choice, based on appearance and style. I think these will look right at home on a 35 year old domestic luxury coupe, and are as 'period correct' as one would be able to get. I remember that Dad bought a 1986 GMC Van brand new, and it had Tiger Paw tires on it from the factory. So the Tiger Paw name was definitely being used in the mid-80's.

I'm not impressed at all with the tread design, but that really wasn't a factor in this purchase at all. Definitely not as up-to-date as the tread design of the Nexen AH5, but not nearly as bad as the uninspiring tread design of the Milestar MS775. These tires should never see snow, so 🤷‍♂️.

They'll hopefully be on the car, sometime next week.

IMG_20210511_200412588_MP.jpg
IMG_20210511_200445026_MP.jpg
IMG_20210511_200504983.jpg
IMG_20210511_200527183.jpg
IMG_20210511_200602202.jpg

The FedEx driver stopped with goodies today, 4 new Uniroyal bluewall tires.

The good... February, 2021 (0521) production. :D The bad... Made in Mexico. :poop::poop::poop::poop:

They do have a nice lightly serrated band, in which the Uniroyal and Tiger Paw names are printed into. Quite subtle, yet classy. I think my phone did a great job with the pictures, in showing this.

The whitewall is right at 15mm in width. The tires that are on the car now, have whitewalls at 25mm in width.

I'm pleased with my choice, based on appearance and style. I think these will look right at home on a 35 year old domestic luxury coupe, and are as 'period correct' as one would be able to get. I remember that Dad bought a 1986 GMC Van brand new, and it had Tiger Paw tires on it from the factory. So the Tiger Paw name was definitely being used in the mid-80's.

I'm not impressed at all with the tread design, but that really wasn't a factor in this purchase at all. Definitely not as up-to-date as the tread design of the Nexen AH5, but not nearly as bad as the uninspiring tread design of the Milestar MS775. These tires should never see snow, so 🤷‍♂️.

They'll hopefully be on the car, sometime next week.

View attachment 56878View attachment 56879View attachment 56880View attachment 56881View attachment 56882
Is that a Flexzilla hose? I got one a couple of years ago. Those things are the shiz-nit. Best hose ever made.

Also, the Tiger PAW tire compound is a on the softer side, so the winter traction is a bit better than normal all-season traction.

Back