P215/70R14 with a whitewall... obviously not a whole lot of choice anymore.

I have to (there's no choice here) buy a set of P215/70R14 tires, with whitewalls. Without even looking, and considering the year I stopped driving this car as a daily driver, I know that the tires that are on the car now are around 20-25 years old, and I'm not even going to attempt driving on them anymore... not even just far enough to get them replaced.

I didn't expect to find a whole lot of choice here, and I was correct. Yes, the tires will need to be whitewalls, due to the car itself and the era in which it is from. No, it simply won't look right with blackwalls or raised white letters. Blackwalls would be a lot cheaper... but no.

Scan0020.jpg

Without going to some place like Coker TIre, I have found 3 whitewall choices which are easy to obtain online, and are relatively reasonably priced. What is nice about this purchase, is that things such as mileage warranty, traction, or tread design are not a factor at all. The only consideration here is that the tires will dry out/age out before they wear out.

1) Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP II, which are $81-$103 each, depending on the vendor. This is a tire which has existed for at least a decade without any noticeable changes. 6 year warranty. Cannot find a country of manufacture.

2) Milestar MS775, which are $79-$94 each. My reaction is that these just seem overpriced for a Milestar tire. Again, a tire that appears to have existed for at least a decade, with no noticeable changes. 5 year warranty. Cannot find a country of manufacture.

3) Nexen AH5, which are $74-$81 each. This tire that is available from the most vendors, and at the best price. It is by far the newest design. This is the tire that I really didn't expect to find in a whitewall in this size. 6 year warranty. Cannot find a country of manufacture.

I was expecting to find something offered from Cooper (such as the Mastercraft A/S IV). But no... nothing out there. This is the direction that I was already planning to go in. I do believe the tires that are on the car now, were manufactured by Cooper for Tire America, and sold as the "Patriot" brand.

My reaction is to toss out the Uniroyal, as rubber that comes from the Michelin family has the tendency to not age gracefully, at all. Time is the biggest issue at play here. My second reaction is to toss the Milestar due to price and general overall unknowns with Tireco/Milestar, plus the other two have a longer warranty.

That leaves me with the tire that I didn't expect to find on this list, the Nexen. Of all of these, it is by far the newest design, it has the best price, the largest number of available vendors, and is tied for the longest warranty at 6 years.

I put a set of Firestone 500 raised white letter tires on our '65 4-4-2.
They look terrible. Out of place on a '65 A Body survivor with the dog dish hubcaps.
Also, a 60 series tire, although much shorter than the 7.75x14 factory size, would look much better.

Gotta be a thin stripe white wall. I will check out the Nexen.

I don't have any expertise in this tire size, but I read the thread title and thought to myself, "hmm, that sounds like the tire size I had on my '84 T-Bird...."

Clicked on the link, and sure enough, it's pretty much the same car! Nice to see a survivor.

I couldn't put Chinese-label tires on a nice survivor car like that. Uniroyal would be my choice of those three.

The Nexen is probably Korean, the other two probably Chinese :unsure:

Milestar seems to be popular on here, but for the reasons you stated, I'd take Nexen out of those three.

I found another option: Radar Dimax Classic. It even has a V speed rating.

I couldn't put Chinese-label tires on a nice survivor car like that. Uniroyal would be my choice of those three.
Uniroyal is garbage, though. I'd rather have a Chinese tire than Uniroyal :rolleyes:
And Uniroyal might very well be Chinese, too :sneaky:

I know that the tires that are on the car now are around 20-25 years old, and I'm not even going to attempt driving on them anymore... not even just far enough to get them replaced.

My reaction is to toss out the Uniroyal, as rubber that comes from the Michelin family has the tendency to not age gracefully, at all. Time is the biggest issue at play here.
As long as there aren't any significant cracks in the rubber, I'd have no problem driving on 20-25 years old tires. The rubber used in tires made in the last 10 or 15 years is the problem. Environmental regulations in the raw materials as well as the production processes has resulted in manufacturers making tires that start deteriorating in just 2 or 3 years.

As long as there aren't any significant cracks in the rubber, I'd have no problem driving on 20-25 years old tires. The rubber used in tires made in the last 10 or 15 years is the problem. Environmental regulations in the raw materials as well as the production processes has resulted in manufacturers making tires that start deteriorating in just 2 or 3 years.

So are you saying Chinese tires are better than other tires? :sneaky:

I had the same issue with my rig, as it's hard to find tires for 14 inch rims these days. I picked up a set of Tiger Paw AWP II tires for my old pickup last year. Besides looks, they are freakin great tires!

I had mine installed with white wall in, but they do come with white walls once the blue coating is removed. Overall the best tires I have ever put on my truck in close to 30 years of using it, and I always purchased the top-of-the-line tires up until I could no longer get them in 14in. Held my nose and got the Tiger Paw, only to find out these are the best handling tires I have ever had on my truck. I can do the same onramp curve I've done thousands of times over the years at around 10 MPH faster than ever before, with no drama. Also pretty good in the snow with some weight over the back tires and aired down a bit. Of all the tires I have had on any of my cars, only one set of Toyo Proxes were better, and that's mostly due to wider and being lower profile, and mounted to a suspension-modded Subaru that could just murder corners with ease.

They are either made in the USA or Mexico. They have plenty of online reviews for them. They are solid tires. Only fault would be that they use a softer tread which will make them not last as long as other tires, but I am 100% fine with that. Traction and handling over tread life any day, IMO. Plenty of guys are going with these for their older cars, so maybe find some reviews on how well they hold up in storage for years? This tire has been in production long enough to probably find that out.

Last edited:
Michelin Defender LTX :whistle: :LOL: ;)

ok so after a google search, I'd have to go with the uniroyal tigerpaw awp II -- made in the USA.

Yes that car needs white walls. When I put new tires on a 1991 Park Avenue I had them put the black walls out, after a couple days I went back and paid to have them turned around.

After looking at those choices I like the Nexen the best even though I have some tiger paws on my Lucerne (on it when I bought it) I really don't care for them, they are noisy when it gets cold.

Yes that car needs white walls. When I put new tires on a 1991 Park Avenue I had them put the black walls out, after a couple days I went back and paid to have them turned around.

After looking at those choices I like the Nexen the best even though I have some tiger paws on my Lucerne (on it when I bought it) I really don't care for them, they are noisy when it gets cold.
Those the old model Tiger PAW? I have the new II version and they are probably the quietest tires I have ever ran.

Those the old model Tiger PAW? I have the new II version and they are probably the quietest tires I have ever ran.
They are the Touring DT's 98T M+S 225/60R16, it's just when it gets below freezing, right now they are fine. Date code is 0313. I will say for that age they are not cracking at all.

Back