Choosing *another* set of tires in a nearly obsolete size... P215/70R15.

I just had new Hankook 215/70 R14 tires put on my 1990 Ranger. Those 14 s are hard to get.. I had them ordered through Sam's club. They are 70,000 mile tires and makes my truck feel almost new. Was 296 out the door with balance road havard and roadside assistance. Seemed like a good deal to me.

Today, I went to order the $66 Tiger Paw tires at W-M, which are still advertised at $66.

When I click on "Add to Cart", the price magically becomes $89 each in the cart.

Thanks for the bait and switch, Wal-Mart. No huge surprise at all. None.

Today, I went to order the $66 Tiger Paw tires at W-M, which are still advertised at $66.

When I click on "Add to Cart", the price magically becomes $89 each in the cart.

Are these the Tiger Paw Touring A/S ? H rated ?

Shows $65.39 for me. Maybe switch browsers. Or call customer service.

Switched browsers. No change. Contacted WalMart. They looked into it, and are calling it a "pricing error" and refuse to do anything additional.

As I mentioned earlier... bait and switch. No surprise.

mrsilv04 , these are the Tiger Paw Touring A/S . Tread left to right . Deep sipes . The tire was at Walmart . Do they look the same ? Keep us informed on their performance . Enjoy .

IMG_6841.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG
IMG_6843.JPG
IMG_6846.JPG
IMG_6844.JPG
IMG_6845.JPG
IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_6848.JPG

I had to buy a set of tires in May, for a 1986 Mercury Cougar.

NOW, I need to buy a set of tires for a 1990 Mercury Cougar in a size P215/70R-15. Here's a picture of it when I pulled it out of storage a few months back, before I even washed it.

TLipxlsDKHSOb5ADmq7f8QaQn_S2jaHBaUcuDUbspJyInz9BBHXUcWTUGJfMtML7l0xDyDQEwnU-aXZ9UR6OPfDRW2cLmSpeGA-wDakAvkiKTdQS8Hblw3TBj7s279qqb9yi-z2KEYlL8PaBfC1ubcEUttn8croXmRIWdrIOvp16i4OnzuanQCVL33kzA30NmlKb5NBu9sscAEYB7siFgkfOiZXd0fIxu7CDhZIbjji4M1lTZa6fLb7N8EP8xynsXCPuLbhbVTfCL4KqLbzac5R6WlBiRKgzBcLaNyUfoSCSoRkbN_PIY8zdgpwDlarKp8X4UbSL21iYJt5w8U2UIDypJY9qyEIhflxDj0OEzGt8IbFhgQ0NrPO5Ku3QZIddWQcfnaRPl6vJR1UrcHdp6lNXrdll-4BQxv8BJkuRxnLW0bCWWV4F2r2ecaPocU-IPOrCkHNzz1r6Ae9mpbCr7supMrl4NJ09WI5QhxX599uNoR_8spNhaBxrWTrQMTLhK-YmBC5XiMmxzIGuhXlu_2oo-LeGv-fpgaP8ymvIe8F9D2bwsX1N7c4O-OIU3xr1bDW9O017xzq5FAjSUSd_ZXpBmOREbUVTBjsyUEoDetWXJiwa8grWyJ9Kv2p-AVGE8Sd1Wc6fQ-0N07ofnk5GzqZZJCXZmVV780JnQ0OYtDiddAjTiidfaTfsPALj9ecHq9gDwGxNziXXGHtLTewKfnc9jg=w1040-h780-no

It has a set of vintage 2005 Goodyears on it, and unfortunately they have about 80% tread. As my mechanic just commented to me this morning, the passenger rear tire vibrates like it is square. These tires shake and vibrate the whole car.

As with the last set I bought for the 1986 Cougar, these tire will never wear out. They'll age out. The wear bars will never touch the pavement. I have to do it, becuase the car is pretty much undrivable right now. About 45mph is all the faster I'll dare to go. Any faster than that, and it is downright unpleasant.

So... we're going cheap here. These tires will likely never see winter weather, and rain only if I screw up and get caught out in it. I will likely have my mechanic mount and balance them, so I can buy the tires anywhere.

Here's my top 3, for less than $300 a set:
Douglas All-Season at WalMart. 45,000 mile warranty. $59 each.
Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring A/S at Wal-Mart, 65,000 mile warranty. $66 each.
Yokohama Avid Touring S at Amazon or Wal-Mart 65,000 mile warranty $68 each.

No, there aren't any WestLake, Otani, Solar, Fullway, Doral, Fortune, Vercelli, SuperMax, Leao, Saffiro... tires in that list of 3. There won't be.

Honestly, for the money, I don't think that I can go wrong with any of these. None are Chinese. I know some don't like the Douglas, but I've had multiple sets of them and have found them to perform much better than they should, for the price. The Yokohama tire was always a good performer, but is getting to be a really old model (was kind of surprised that they are still in production).

I think the sweet spot here is right in the middle with the Uniroyal. I just bought a set of Uniroyals for another older car in May, and wasn't disappointed, other than the blue crap that they put on the whitewalls stained them badly. The Uniroyal is a recently redesigned tire that is probably going to be made in Taiwan... but that's still not China. For now.
Your tires have what is called "flat spotting" that happens to lots of folks who let vehicles sit up without moving them. I screwed up and did that also to a car as well once. Did not plan to leave it sit so long. They actually make some "flat spot" prevention parking blocks to park on. The only other thing I know that a lot of classic car folks do is kind of a pain but works of course. Place car on 4 good jack stands and then let some of the air out of the tires. Leave about 15 to 20 psi in them. Also if you have trouble finding your size tires... there are a bunch of car restoration "tire" companies out there these days who you can order almost any old size / type tire from.

Coker Tire. They'll set you right up with an original quality set of reproduction bias-plys... but it'll cost you.

But they'll look really nice.
Good idea. Coker tire is a well respected long time "in business" company. They been around providing many type tires to the classic / restoration car industry and others for years.

Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago...but it was airfare. The change was quite a bit more than $33 per ticket.

Hands-down the best tires I've ever purchased in this size are my current Cooper CS5 Grand Touring on a 2005 base Caravan. Bought them in June of 2018 from the Wal-Mart website for $74.85 each. They're wearing like absolute pieces of iron. As of a few minutes ago I have 53,999 miles on them and they still have tons of meat. Rotated every oil change (5-7K miles):

Coopers 53999 miles.JPG

Just checked the W-M website and see they're now $106.99 each. Yikes!! Wasn't the case in 2018:

1641249777378.jpg

The two sets prior to the Coopers were both Douglas all-season. Those were both fine, but got about 40K out of each set before they needed replacement.

My #1 rule with tires (and most things, as possible) is to buy only American-made. For your replacements I think the Douglas would be great, and at 59 bones each that deal is tough to top.

All the best.

Hands-down the best tires I've ever purchased in this size are my current Cooper CS5 Grand Touring on a 2005 base Caravan. Bought them in June of 2018 from the Wal-Mart website for $74.85 each. They're wearing like absolute pieces of iron. As of a few minutes ago I have 53,999 miles on them and they still have tons of meat. Rotated every oil change (5-7K miles):

View attachment 83130

Just checked the W-M website and see they're now $106.99 each. Yikes!! Wasn't the case in 2018:

View attachment 83131

The two sets prior to the Coopers were both Douglas all-season. Those were both fine, but got about 40K out of each set before they needed replacement.

My #1 rule with tires (and most things, as possible) is to buy only American-made. For your replacements I think the Douglas would be great, and at 59 bones each that deal is tough to top.

All the best.
Yep - very happy with my 275 18 Cooper Evolution set …

This tire is Korean branded, but made in USA. Unfortunately, it is currently out of stock, but maybe you can wait a bit.

I have a similar size on my Corolla. They are very good rain tires, quiet, but not great (or even good) snow tires.

I see he wanted to go with uniroyals. The absolute worst out of round tire I’ve ever had was the tiger paw. granted it was just one, and the other three were fine. there was about 3/16” difference between high and low side. Used chalk and a wood planer to fix it. Maybe in sneaked through QC somehow.

my gut choice would be the Yokohama, but the earlier post of so-so wet traction is right, and my tiger paws did do decently in the rain. Yokohama seems to have very precise tolerances.

Back