Why do store-brand / exclusive tires exist?

So far the Walmart General STX seems just fine. The difference I notice in the tread pattern between the HTS, is that the jagged sipes were moved inboard (outside tread blocks have straight sipes), and the center rib/tread is a bit more aggressive, with sharp angles of tread within it.

From an aesthetic standpoint, the STX looks [censored] good. Nothing about it suggests that it's inferior to the HTS in any way.

We got a couple inches of snow in the area the day the tires were installed, and the grip between the worn Michelin XC LT4's (a Sears exclusive, purchased by the PO) are night and day. Deliberately drove through a bunch of slushy puddles when able, and vehicle tracked straight ahead. Obviously too early to judge performance in any meaningful way, but the wife is about 800 miles into her journey to Kentucky on these tires, so break-in is over; I'm certainly eager to see how these Walmart "specials" perform over the long-term as this will be my first experience with store exclusive tires, running them from new.

Last edited:
I have the Grabber STX's on my Sequoia and I loved them for the first couple months. Excellent traction, low noise, no problems. After a few weeks they started a very annoying vibration. Nothing tragic, just enough to be annoying. Had them rebalanced three times. Rotated back to front, side to side, etc. Two tire techs claim the tires are round (I'm skeptical). Two times the person doing the balancing said "they were pretty far off" as far as the previous balance. How does a tire get so out of balance over just a few hundred miles? Tire slipping on the rim perhaps? I'm praying I run over something very sharp that blows out all four so I can justify getting something else. If it weren't for the constant vibration, I'd love them.

Originally Posted By: CKN
I'm glad you don't shop at Walmart-my local Walmart is PLENTY BUSY.

Funny, I don't remember saying that. Did you draw that conclusion from the part of my comment where I described my experience with multiple Walmart products?
crazy2.gif
lol.gif

The money needs to be saved somewhere. Although the off-brands and store brands I have had over time had been fine, the rubber hardened faster than most, and the tires lost wet traction earlier than I would have expected. I have heard it said that Motomaster tires in Canada specifically used rubber rejected by the manufacturers for their own brand tires. I would suspect the same is true for the other brands if it's true. The money saved is either by leaving something out, using less of some ingredient, or making things like the sidewalls thinner.

Originally Posted By: homeyclaus
I have heard it said that Motomaster tires in Canada specifically used rubber rejected by the manufacturers for their own brand tires. I would suspect the same is true for the other brands if it's true. The money saved is either by leaving something out, using less of some ingredient, or making things like the sidewalls thinner.

Do you have a source for this? I wouldn't be surprised. I take very good care of my tires, store them properly in between seasonal swaps. I had a pair of 6 year old Motomaster tires that had to be replaced after noticing severe dry rot in the sidewalls. There was still about 70% tread left. I don't think I have ever had a problem with my tires dry rotting before the tread wears out.

I have seen a lot of this from tire mfg's & chain stores such as Walmart/Sam's Club and SEARS and even online tire stores. DTD used to have a Pirelli Cinturato P5 that was their own as compared to Pirelli's own P4.

They have tires made under their proprietary name e.g., "WeatherMaster" or "VIVA". Or in the case of this original post, "Grabber STX" as compares to HTS.

I still will buy a tire from discount tire and pay a little more, just for the service alone.

The quality of the installation, and their people is worth saving a few bucks and dealing with walmart.
Funny. I've bought about a dozen sets of tires from DT. My next set is coming from Wal-Mart because the local DT's have turned into crap holes. I'm done with them until I somehow get convinced they've changed. Honestly it's all coming down to price for me because no one does a good job anymore. You don't "get what you pay for " anymore.

Back