General Grabber HTS Report (Happy New Owner!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I finally had enough with the OEM Contitrac's on the Tribute. Very noisy and slippery in the wet, so with 32k on them it was time for a trade-up.

I bought a set of the General Grabber HTS. Based on TireRack owner reviews and Consumer magazine tests, I figured they were worth a shot. Got 235/70-16's for $120 each mounted and balanced from a local tire store. Noticed only very small amount of balance weight were used on the rim.

The next day, I took the Tribby on a trip up to New Hampshire. The difference was amazing! Tires kept getting quieter as they ran-in, and they track dead straight. Hit a brief downpour on the interstate and they handled high-speed wet conditions very well.

Back-road driving was a treat. The tires had great grip and feel on the twisty roads, wet or dry, and absorbed road surface irregularities much better than the Contitrac's. Very comfortable riding tire that still seems to have good sidewall-stiffness.

For the price, I think these are one of the best on-highway light truck/SUV tires on the market. Sooner or later, you'll own Gererals!

Ironic that they're from the same company, don't you think?

I think it says a lot about the negative impact that OE requirements can have on a tire design.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Report back after you get in some s-n-o-w...

Four Wheeler magazine tested them in snow and they did very well....

LINKY

"The proving grounds consisted of a long slalom course followed by a tumbled rough section of deep, chunky snow, and finally a flat area where distance markers were set up to measure acceleration and braking distances. The idea was to simulate a variety of real-world scenarios over and over to generate data that would eventually prove that the seemingly mild-mannered Grabber HTS was superior to the more aggressive patterns so commonly referred to as "snow tires.""

I have a set on one of my work Explorers (215/70/16). The tires are fantastic. Smooth, quiet and with good traction. On my other Explorers I have BFG Long Trails and Michelin Cross Terrains. Other than stability over 90 mph, the HTS's are my favorites (Michelins are better over 90). Only light rain experienced as far as inclement weather.

My only question will be how well they hold up. The vehicle has over 30,000 miles on them and they are about half worn (60,000 mile tread life)

For the price and quality the Generals seem hard to beat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back