General Altimax RT43 User Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jjcom
I had a set of the Altimax RT43 on my 07 Grand Prix. I had a suspension issue that promptly chewed up the front tires, but before that issue, they wore great. The rain didn't bother me and they were pretty respectable on snow. They rode great down the highway, but they felt a bit soft if thrown through any curves. My two biggest complaints were the slightly mushy ride and the tendency to follow any marks on the road. It wasn't a big deal on many roads, but a stretch of road between my house and work has groves that they liked to follow. When I wore them out, I was very tempted to put on another set despite those negatives, but I was able to catch some Cooper CS5 Grand Touring on sale. Buy three get one free along with a $70 rebate really tipped the scales towards the Coopers.

So, not to thread-jack but how do the Grands compare to the RT43? I'm replacing a set of Ultras in a couple months. Weighing between RT43, Yokohama Avid Ascend and the CS5 Grand.

I appreciate all the input on these tires as I was considering them on my wifes Elantra when her tires wear out. Only thing is we will never see snow or ice and I wonder if there is a summer tire out there that would be even better price wise. Main concerns are comfort and quietness.

Originally Posted By: Stevie
I appreciate all the input on these tires as I was considering them on my wifes Elantra when her tires wear out. Only thing is we will never see snow or ice and I wonder if there is a summer tire out there that would be even better price wise. Main concerns are comfort and quietness.

The RT43s come in more than one speed rating and I know that Consumer Reports found the T rated tires to be better for winter use than the the H rated version...I'm not sure if the latter tire did better in areas such as dry handling and noise level, though. We have T rated RT43s on my daughter's Impreza and I wouldn't say that they are especially quiet or smooth riding, but they are quite good in the snow for an all season.

I have generally found that summer tires for my vehicles were more expensive than run of the mill all seasons, but a budget all season that isn't necessarily a great winter performer might meet your needs. The Sumitomo HTR A/S PO2 might be worth looking at if it's available in the size you want.

What tire size for the Elantra?
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

What tire size for the Elantra?
smile.gif

It's the limited which takes the lower profile 215/45R17 tires. More sporty but rougher ride.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=General&tireModel=AltiMAX+RT43+%28H-+or+V-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=145VR7AMRT43&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&&autoMake=Hyundai&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Elantra+Sedan&autoModClar=Limited&&autoMake=Hyundai&autoYear=2013&autoModel=Elantra+Sedan&autoModClar=Limited

They get noisy.They seem sensitive to toe-in,I set them with a little to no toe-in.I run them with 40psi year round in Fla. This firms up the ride.tread life and wet traction is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back