New tires for 2003 Suburban 1500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also go for the Grabber. An honorable mention in my book would be the Kumho. I have never used them but I see them very frequently on people's mid sized tow vehicles at the track.

I have the Firestone Destination LE2's on it right now, came with Suburban when I bought it 20k miles ago. They seem really good on highway driving, although am having a very strange phenomena happening though when turning tight radius turns (like backing into parking spots or doing u turns) It is exaggerated if on a slippery surface. The vehicle seems to be trying to "skip" through the turn as if there was a flat spot or a bubble, but there doesn't seem to be anything that is visibly wrong other than it is at about 5/32 tread and it drives perfect on highway at all speeds up to about 70, does start to do something around 72 mph. There doesn't appear to be anything obviously wrong in suspension. I have had it on stands and checked out ball joints and tie rods and all seems tight.
My mechanic seems to think it is tire related. That is my only hesitation on Firestone, but tires are at the end of their life anyways and to be fair, I did not get to experience them new.
Anyone else experience anything like this with Firestones or on Suburban?

Originally Posted By: Run
I vote for the General Grabber. The Generals get positive reviews from what I hear. I spend a lot of time in tire shops. So I hear about the best and worst tires all the time.

I have the grabbers on my avalanche. They do well on wet and snow as well. I like them.

Originally Posted By: Richie
I was not aware of that and thanks

Originally Posted By: knerml
Originally Posted By: Richie
I really like Continental Tires.

General Tire and Continental are the same company.

Conti is considered more of a top tier brand than General. Kind of like comparing a Caddy to a Buick. Or a Buick to a Chevrolet. More bang for your buck with the General. Although I'd consider a Conti with rebates.

I'm really disappointed we haven't heard from the Michelin crowd on this thread-maybe due to my (truthful) initial comments.

So I will have to speak for them-Get Michelins-whatever they cost-the greatest tires in the world are worth it!

Last edited:
I have had a set of Kumho Crugen HT51 tires on my Element for about a year. They are quiet,grip is good wet or dry...No experience in snow. I'm quite happy with them and I have always used Michelin products in the past. I got them at Walmart on-ine,shipped free to WM tire center and mounted and balanced for $48

Originally Posted By: JohnB40
I have had a set of Kumho Crugen HT51 tires on my Element for about a year. They are quiet,grip is good wet or dry...No experience in snow. I'm quite happy with them and I have always used Michelin products in the past. I got them at Walmart on-ine,shipped free to WM tire center and mounted and balanced for $48

I have these on my wife's 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe XL-as OEM. Even though we just had a good snow (they are REAL GOOD at plowing here)-I haven't been able to try them out in poor snow conditions. But otherwise I would echo your views.

Originally Posted By: Fitz98
I have the Firestone Destination LE2's on it right now, came with Suburban when I bought it 20k miles ago. They seem really good on highway driving, although am having a very strange phenomena happening though when turning tight radius turns (like backing into parking spots or doing u turns) It is exaggerated if on a slippery surface. The vehicle seems to be trying to "skip" through the turn as if there was a flat spot or a bubble, but there doesn't seem to be anything that is visibly wrong other than it is at about 5/32 tread and it drives perfect on highway at all speeds up to about 70, does start to do something around 72 mph. There doesn't appear to be anything obviously wrong in suspension. I have had it on stands and checked out ball joints and tie rods and all seems tight.
My mechanic seems to think it is tire related. That is my only hesitation on Firestone, but tires are at the end of their life anyways and to be fair, I did not get to experience them new.
Anyone else experience anything like this with Firestones or on Suburban?

Fitz, actually mine do the same thing.

Are they close to the end of their tread life as well?
Were they always like that, or just as they have worn down?

My Michelin MS/2's. They are at 5/32's 3-1/2 years old.
Still have a little tread life, but the tread is starting to break off in chunks, only on front tires. Only blacktop driving.
These replaced my last set of Michelins that had cracks in the sidewalls, caused a blowout, so I had replaced the set with a 50% credit.
I was happy and think I have my money's worth (2 sets, 5+ years life for 1500.00), but these at no 70k tire, and are only good for a few years in Florida.
As I stated before, the tires ride great, handle great, but the compound does not hold up well in Florida, at least in my case with 2 different sets of Michelin's.

Last edited:
I should add the mileage.
The first set was replaced with 40K miles when the sidewalls cracked and failed.
The set in the picture has 45k miles on them.

We tow with a 2wd and understand wet driving.

The best wet towing tire I've had so far has been the bridgestone Revo2 on there now. BUT, they are more squirmy than the Destination LE2.

The LE2 will hang on and then break lose... it really tries to cling to the road, but when it's done, it's done. We've had a set on the truck and they were quiet and drove well. Their wet traction did diminish to about 2/3 of what it started with as they aged.

We also had a set of coopers. They would start to slip sooner BUT would continue to claw; they didn't just wash out when they spun. They felt like they were softer and more predictable. I'd recommend looking at the Cooper AT3s as well. We had Cooper RTX and they were good but I still sort of prefer the Revo2 - it's a known tire for me that I'm comfortable with.

-m

I'm about to buy tires for my '02 4wd LS Tahoe. I've scrutinized the cr-p out of the tirerack reviews. I'm original owner wtih 165k on the vehicle.. A version of Yokohama Geolanders early on were a good set. Probably the best were a set of Firestone Destination LE2s. I was tempted by the Kumho tire but had a failed purchase through pep boys who ultimately claimed they were discontinued. Also, the reviews were on a modest amount of miles reported. I then was interested in the Pirelli Scorpion Vered A/Ss .. but very interestingly, while the tirerack rating is excellent, the trend of recent reviews in the last 6 months is quite bad with blowouts reported and other general badness.. enough for me to say no mas. Maybe the production process took a dump. I"m pretty sure I'm going to order Yokohmaa Geolander.. I'm the most comfortable with the overall review commentary and figures.. there are a few versions, I think the one I'm talking about are the G056s.. I have 265-70-17s on newer 17" tahoe wheels so referenced tires may not be available in your size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back