Oz Planstic Bag Bans - not so green.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
So the problem is incidental disposal and not the bags themselves?

Since bags are being banned in certain localities around us, we buy plastic garbage bags instead of repurposing the bags from the stores. Nothing has been accomplished.

The real issue is in countries around the world where plastics and other disposables are thrown away willy nilly. Rivers are full of trash. I saw it a lot during my travels. Rainy seasons flood the rivers and drainages and all the trash flows out to sea.

Right. I saw a video recently of a river in another country, absolutely full of trash, it was unbelievable. You could not see any water period.

The reusable bags we buy from the supermarket seem to fall apart and degrade after a few years, but I think still better than the thin film plastic bags. We all seem to repurpose them...but given something else I'm sure we would repurpose those too. When I was a kid sliced bread used to come in a waxed paper wrapper...and our school lunches were wrapped in it.

You could also buy a reusable cotton bag from my daughter, she'd be happy to export to the USA....https://www.facebook.com/Basic-Bags-1706096106105595/

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: PimTac
So the problem is incidental disposal and not the bags themselves?

Since bags are being banned in certain localities around us, we buy plastic garbage bags instead of repurposing the bags from the stores. Nothing has been accomplished.

The real issue is in countries around the world where plastics and other disposables are thrown away willy nilly. Rivers are full of trash. I saw it a lot during my travels. Rainy seasons flood the rivers and drainages and all the trash flows out to sea.

Right. I saw a video recently of a river in another country, absolutely full of trash, it was unbelievable. You could not see any water period.

Hmm, people doing the wrong things in other countries...reminds me of sorts of debates...

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: raytseng
yea but a sea turtle isnt going to die because their stomach is filled with paper or cotton bags.
the primary argument is less about the energy used aspect, its more about the disposal and the discarded bags getting out of the loop.

100 miles inland, I guess they've already killed off all our sea turtles.

Those bags make it to the ocean somehow. Funny how that happens.

Not from here they don't...

Yes, junk thrown in the ocean, or tributaries is baadd...mkay, but as per the above, leaving a bag sitting on a table does not kill a turtle, nor a straw automatically get jammed into a nostril.

If a plastic bag is bad by definition, then the ones that I have to buy to pick up pet faeces are equally as bad, aren't they...they could similarly choke a turtle ?

I'm (seriously) more worried about sunscreen bleaching coral...everyone is purposely dumping sunscreen in the ocean.

RE the trash islands....

https://www.thoughtco.com/trash-islands-overview-1434953

Quote:
After studying the trash found in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch, Moore learned that 90% of the trash found there was plastic. His research group--as well as NOAA--has studied the Sargasso Sea and other patches around the world and their studies in those locations have had the same findings. It is estimated that 80% of the plastic in the ocean comes from land sources while 20% comes from ships at sea.

The plastics in the patches consist of items like water bottles, cups, bottle caps, plastic bags, and fish netting. It’s not just large plastic items that make up the trash islands, however. In his studies, Moore found that the majority of the plastic in the world's oceans is made up of billions of pounds of raw plastic pellets called nurdles. These pellets are a byproduct of plastics manufacturing.

While the bags that get triple used and disposed of full of kitty litter and bin waste end up in my local landfill, and those of the irresponsible still won't make it the 100+ miles downstream to the ocean...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_resin_pellet_pollution

Quote:
Nurdles are a major contributor to marine debris. During a three-month study of Orange County beaches researchers found them to be the most common beach contaminant.[6] Nurdles comprised roughly 98% of the beach debris collected in a 2001 Orange County study.[7] Waterborne nurdles may either be a raw material of plastic production, or from larger chunks of plastics.[8] A major concentration of plastic may be the Great Pacific garbage patch, a growing collection of marine debris known for its high concentrations of plastic litter.
Nurdles that escape from the plastic production process into waterways or oceans have become a significant source of ocean and beach plastic pollution. Plastic pellet pollution that has been monitored in studies is mainly found in the sediments and beach areas and is usually polyethylene or polypropylene, the two main plastic polymers found in microplastic pollution.[9] Marine life is severely threatened by these small pieces of plastic; the creatures that make up the base of the marine food chain, such as krill, are prematurely dying by choking on nurdles.[10]
Nurdles have frequently been found in the digestive tracts of various marine creatures, causing physiological damage by leaching plasticizers such as phthalates. Nurdles can carry two types of micropollutants in the marine environment: native plastic additives and hydrophobic pollutants absorbed from seawater. For example, concentrations of PCBs and DDE on nurdles collected from Japanese coastal waters were found to be up to 1 million times higher than the levels detected in surrounding seawater.[11]
Plastic microbeads used in cosmetic exfoliating products are also found in water.

I'm not much of a buyer or disposer of nurdles.

The bags are the poster child of the movement, the straws the next...

Ban the nurdle !!!

The bag lady is back...with the same news. The major supermarket after announcing the single use ban, has now introduced a new thicker ''multi use'' plastic bag. We were sucked in. But it started a movement, and other chains are doing it for real.

Flushable wipes are a nasty product too. Stopped using them a while back. If using plastic bags, we try to get the most biodegradable we can...so far as the marketing leads on. Sometimes you're taken for a ride on these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back