UN wants to ban plastic bags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, I don't see the point in using a bag once, then throwing it away. The re-usable bags stay in the car and we use them for groceries. I expect we won't be able to buy bottles of oil some day. Have to use the Jiffy Lube places or buy bulk oil. I wonder how many oil containers are in the landfill sites???

Last edited:
I support hammering people who are lazy and release them into the environment in the first place, replacing them with photodegradeable plastic (however, without UV, they don't degrade), but a ban is ridiculous...and it's being talked about here.

Our local supermarket offered the re-useable bags free for a month, and we use them 80% of the time. They don't offer a bag for less than three items...that's fine too. But around 20 percent of the time, we make sure that we get plastic bags, and use them for household rubbish.

The idea of buying a product purely to throw it out (garbage bags) is insane to me.

What's wrong with good strong brown paper bags? Isn't paper biodegradable?
21.gif

i don't see a problem with not having cheap plastic bags. it wouldn't disrupt may life, but at the moment i am too lazy to use re0usable ones.

i say ban the [censored].

Originally Posted By: crinkles
i don't see a problem with not having cheap plastic bags. it wouldn't disrupt may life, but at the moment i am too lazy to use re0usable ones.

i say ban the [censored].

So just because it doesn't effect you, it's ok to ban?
smirk2.gif
That's what's wrong with this country - banning is not the answer to everything. Liberals want to ban guns, do-it-yourself auto repairs, old cars, and now trash bags. Come on, now. Well, I'll tell ya what - I'll give 'em the trash bags if they stay off my guns..
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: StevieC
More than plastic?

Paper costs waaay more than plastic

In more ways than one. paper takes 9 times the volume and even more than that in weight to transport/distribute equal amounts of "storage". i.e. it takes 9 trucks of paper bags to equal 1 truck of plastic bags and a plastic bag takes up 9 times less volume in an landfill. Paper takes significantly more energy (oil) to process and reprocess than plastic. Neither biodegrade in a landfill because nothing rapidly biodegrades in the current landfill management scheme.
50% of paper is recycled in the U.S. Plastic bags are a visual nuisance so it makes them easy to target for the feel good crowd.

My guess is the UN is looking at the Pacfic Gyre's huge trash pile http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_Garbage_Patch. Of course they need to ban everything else that is in the gyre also but that's not an easy target.

If you guys had Government Controlled Liquor Stores pillaging you blind like we do, you would have loved the bags. The Plastic had to be like 10mil thick. My mom works for the LCBO and her and her co-workers cleaned them out of a couple cases before they banned them. GOOD STUFF!
20.gif

Banning them is the answer. Just like anti-littering laws. If we can't get it through the heads of all people about using the streets as a trash can, why do we bother with keerap such as this?

BTW, in poorer neighborhoods the streets are generally filthier. Just another way to stick it to the man.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525547,00.html
Quote:
A top U.N. official on Monday called for a worldwide ban on single-use "thin" plastic shopping bags

smirk2.gif

Compostable/biodegradable plastic bags are not affected by this proposed ban, so why would anybody complain? Compostable plastic bags were slow to catch on in the US. However, now I see even compostable product packaging, for example cough drops and candy. The compostable plastic is easily recognizable. It feels a bit thicker and somewhat stiff, usually with a matte finish.

I, too, recycle plastic bags as garbage bags.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
I suspect fishing nets might be a greater threat to marine life.

thumbsup2.gif

I thought paper bags were going to kill the planet due to cutting down trees. So they went to plastic. Now plastic bags are going to kill the planet because they last too long.

I wish they would make up their mind...

Of course if they actually do ban plastic bags, 5 years after the fact we will be getting articles how paper bags are killing too many trees.
smirk2.gif

Quote:
I thought paper bags were going to kill the planet due to cutting down trees. So they went to plastic. Now plastic bags are going to kill the planet because they last too long.

I wish they would make up their mind...

Everything has side effects and consequences, Tempest. Some of them aren't apparent for a long time after you've jumped in with 2 feet.

DDT, cyclamates, Pb piping and paints, FD&C Red number whateveritis, ground water infiltration into abandoned deep mined coal mines and the acid water that it forms, open vented carbs and gas tanks, radium dials on watches

It's UL at work, pal. You never solve anything, you just trade problems. Sometimes you get to put them off for a while in terms of time until you have to cope with a new problem.

I work at Lowe's, and people are freaking crazy. One little box of light bulbs is all they buy, and they insist on a bag for it. Or when someone buy a glass globe for a light, they insist on wrapping it in 5 bags before they leave the store (as if those bags are going to keep it from breaking, they are pretty strong as it is). It makes me want to reach across the counter and punch them sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back