Owners of vehicles with ZF 8 spd transmission

Yeah … being a long term GMC guy … hard to get used to not doing an early venture into the pan … clean magnets … change factory filter … 6 fresh quarts Dex VI, install drain plug, etc etc
My feelings exactly! @ 10K miles my Nag1 Rubicon had a pan drop, filter change and fluid exchange. It would be hard for me to skip that on any new vehicle. Flame suit on.

IIRC that's what they use. Considering how many people mod their Wranglers, with larger wheel/tire combos, etc. and work them pretty hard off road, I often wondered why when they did the redesign of the Wrangler they didn't build it to fit the heavy duty version of the ZF 8 speed used in other Chrysler products.
Well, the Pentastar will never make the torque monster list, LoL … but with 4.10 pumpkins and a 4:1 xfer case that 8 speed is not working too hard in that mode …
In fact, for what I do it’s over geared and does not let me lock the rear only in 4Hi … I know the after market “black boxes” will fix that … but a bit leery of those …

Well, the Pentastar will never make the torque monster list, LoL … but with 4.10 pumpkins and a 4:1 xfer case that 8 speed is not working too hard in that mode …
In fact, for what I do it’s over geared and does not let me lock the rear only in 4Hi … I know the after market “black boxes” will fix that … but a bit leery of those …
I hear ya. I was just thinking about "my" wish list, especially after what was pretty much a new platform for the JL.

Reactions: 4WD
Probably technician's discretion. The transmission does not have a published fluid and filter interval.

ZF publishes fluid and filter every 60k miles 100k km on the 8HP, regardless of what the vehicle manufacturers say (e.g. "lifetime")

The pan has the filter integrated on most models, although I suppose there could be some variants out there where this isn't the case. If you're changing the filter, you're changing the pan.

For what it's worth, FCP Euro sells 8HP service kits with pan, 6 or 7 quarts of genuine ZF LG8, and new pan bolts for ~$220USD. I don't consider that expensive for once every 60k miles.

Both my ZF's shift "hard" (though really not bad at all, just a tiny bit more noticeable than normal, which is generally imperceptible unless really looking for it) 1-2 for the first little bit of driving (out of the driveway, maybe first stop sign). I have over 200k on ZF's between the two vehicles in my sig and have only positive things to say (many tow miles on the Ram, tons of city/stop and go driving on the BMW, lots of highway for both).

I have it in my 2019 Rubicon, but it does not have a rough shift at any point and has been very nice to drive. The pan has to be changed on most ZF transmissions in the FCA line because the filter is built into the pan (though I have read this is not the case on the Wrangler).

I personally would not use anything but approved fluids in that transmission and would stay away from the multi-vehicle fluids out there.
Do you still have the FF in the 8 speed ? After watching 3 videos on changes & how to top off after any service (scan tool etc) … it might be cheaper and easier to hire a psychiatrist to talk me out of doing anything … 😷

Do you still have the FF in the 8 speed ? After watching 3 videos on changes & how to top off after any service (scan tool etc) … it might be cheaper and easier to hire a psychiatrist to talk me out of doing anything … 😷
Yes; I have not changed it yet. Since I have a 7 year/Unlimited Mileage warranty, this will be a dealer task for me.

Yes; I have not changed it yet. Since I have a 7 year/Unlimited Mileage warranty, this will be a dealer task for me.
Thanks … I probably gave mine the most by the book break in of any I have owned …
… so will give it some and more thought … ☕

Thanks … I probably gave mine the most by the book break in of any I have owned …
… so will give it some and more thought … ☕
My only caveat is that I have not found a dealer that I like/trust. I bought it near Dallas and that is too far to drive for normal maintenance. I am having the steering TSB (replacing the aluminum gearbox with a new cast iron one) done at a dealer in the Woodlands, but the fact they stated the disconnected rear window defroster wire (that has plagued thousands) is not covered leaves me room for pause with them since it IS covered.

Maybe it's way more complicated due to how it's positioned in a Jeep, but for Ram pickups, ZF8 pan drops and refills don't look bad at all. I have not done one yet, but from the looks of it, it's within my limited scope and a project I would do myself. You can utilize a cheap plastic pump garden sprayer for your re-fill apparatus. The plastic drain bung on the pan is kind of useless on most hemi / ZF8 combo rams because an exhaust cross-over pipe is right below it. Other than that, the pan drain plug can be used for drain/fills if you chose to down the road at some point.

You should have the rear wheels up on some leveling blocks to level the pan rail on the trans for fluid level checking and obviously you have to have the engine idling to get the last bit of fluid in the trans, so hot exhaust can be an issue. I've read of people wrapping wet rags around the nearby exhaust.

Me personally, if I don't have the scan equipment to tell me fluid temperature, I just add back in what I drained out. Maybe a tad more if it will fit.

Like said above, aftermarket ZF8 pan kits can be mail ordered for as little as $30 and Maxlife ATF is "recommended for ZF8 use", so conceivably, you can do a pan drop and fluid replacement for as little as $60 or so including the garden sprayer.

I have done dozens of fluid changes. Dozens of valve bodies. Many full units.

anyways I recommend the fluid the same as ZF interval 60k. That mileage it’s drain and fill essentially

next interval you can replace the pan. The filter and magnets are in it.

the hemi ram as mentioned above is the most challenging to remove the plug and I have had a few random plastic plugs not want to come out of different pans. Had to hammer chisel them lose I have extra drain plugs

the awd charger challenger 300 is the worst to fill as the front ds is right where you want to remove the fill plug

if you do maxlife and have a problem under warranty be aware you will likely have some hard times when they take your fluid same pick for warranty authorization and it’s red. FCA won’t care for that and likely blame the fluid. Your dealer and outcome may vary

In warranty would either use the zf fluid or not do it at all.

and the initial 1-2 shift thing is pretty common it bugs some people and others not.

Hi guys,

I was looking at a used Ram 1500 3.6 with A ZF transmission. Owner says it's got a harsh shift from 1st to 2nd gear.

I see these tranny's have a plastic pan with and use special fluid that's pricey.

Do any of our members do their own drain and fills along with pan replacement on these vehicles? At the dealer it seems that this service is pretty pricey. YouTube has a lot of videos which show how the pan change and refill can be DIY'd.

Are these transmissions durable long term?
Video already posted at the below location,, so no need to repeat here as a Link to other thread would be sufficient:

Last edited by a moderator:
Valvoline Maxlife Multi Vehicle ATF doesn't carry ANY manufacturer approvals/certifications. They say it basically works with everything besides ATF+4 & Type F (Or extended drain Allison TES-295)

ZF would never approve a multi vehicle ATF, Valvoline does have a GM approved Dexron VI ATF HERE .......It's not Maxlife MV ATF!

Not that Maxlife MV ATF is a bad fluid......Been using it at my shop for Dexron III/VI & Mercon V/SP/LV applications with great results! Don't really like it for Honda DW-1 spec units though.....Genuine DW-1 works better in my opinion. My daughters 2009 Civic with upgraded Raybestos GPZ frictions really didn't like Maxlife at all, Shifts like butter with genuine fluid.

Haven't tried it in a ZF 8HP yet, But works great on Ford 6R80 (ZF 6HP) units.

More relevant information on the ZF 8HP......I subscribe to this magazine (Tech publication) HERE
That's a good magazine.

Most AT fluids across the board have sufficient anti-wear, metal/corrosion inhibition, foam inhibitors, and stable VII chemistry to protect the metal internals.

Therefor, I am more concerned with the friction modification chemistry and its affects on long-term clutch pack wear and shift quality.

What I find interesting is that none of these videos or industry building/rebuilding magazines have actually done any instrumented industry standard tests, for example FZG or SAE#2, or Dyno testing to determine actual Mu(v) curves for the various fluids; curves which would be the smoking gun to determine actual compatibility or non-compatibility of various fluids.

So other than some experiential feedback and conjecture, and lacking any teardown and measurements, most of the stuff out there is just that, conjecture.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
Maybe it's way more complicated due to how it's positioned in a Jeep, but for Ram pickups, ZF8 pan drops and refills don't look bad at all. I have not done one yet, but from the looks of it, it's within my limited scope and a project I would do myself. You can utilize a cheap plastic pump garden sprayer for your re-fill apparatus. The plastic drain bung on the pan is kind of useless on most hemi / ZF8 combo rams because an exhaust cross-over pipe is right below it. Other than that, the pan drain plug can be used for drain/fills if you chose to down the road at some point.

You should have the rear wheels up on some leveling blocks to level the pan rail on the trans for fluid level checking and obviously you have to have the engine idling to get the last bit of fluid in the trans, so hot exhaust can be an issue. I've read of people wrapping wet rags around the nearby exhaust.

Me personally, if I don't have the scan equipment to tell me fluid temperature, I just add back in what I drained out. Maybe a tad more if it will fit.

Like said above, aftermarket ZF8 pan kits can be mail ordered for as little as $30 and Maxlife ATF is "recommended for ZF8 use", so conceivably, you can do a pan drop and fluid replacement for as little as $60 or so including the garden sprayer.
I’ll get to it at some point … got the Mustang and the Tahoe ahead of it now …
… ordered supplies + a plastic dipstick for the Ford …
The Jeep can pop up on 4 ramps when I’m ready 😷

Reactions: JTK
That's a good magazine.

Most AT fluids across the board have sufficient anti-wear, metal/corrosion inhibition, foam inhibitors, and stable VII chemistry to protect the metal internals.

Therefor, I am more concerned with the friction modification chemistry and its affects on long-term clutch pack wear and shift quality.

What I find interesting is that none of these videos or industry building/rebuilding magazines have actually done any instrumented industry standard tests, for example FZG or SAE#2, or Dyno testing to determine actual Mu(v) curves for the various fluids; curves which would be the smoking gun to determine actual compatibility or non-compatibility of various fluids.

So other than some experiential feedback and conjecture, and lacking any teardown and measurements, most of the stuff out there is just that, conjecture.
I've always had to experiment with ATF's in actual usage, One of my favorite fluids (Transynd TES-295) supposedly has some strange Mu(v) curves vs Dexron VI.....But I love it in built 4L60E & 4L80E units, Especially when using HD Allison metallic carbon frictions in a 4L80E. Also running it in my 4 speed Aisin units.

But to be perfectly clear.....The ONLY clutch to clutch (volume Indexing) unit I would run TES-295 in.....Is an Allison.

I have done dozens of fluid changes. Dozens of valve bodies. Many full units.

anyways I recommend the fluid the same as ZF interval 60k. That mileage it’s drain and fill essentially

next interval you can replace the pan. The filter and magnets are in it.

the hemi ram as mentioned above is the most challenging to remove the plug and I have had a few random plastic plugs not want to come out of different pans. Had to hammer chisel them lose I have extra drain plugs

the awd charger challenger 300 is the worst to fill as the front ds is right where you want to remove the fill plug

if you do maxlife and have a problem under warranty be aware you will likely have some hard times when they take your fluid same pick for warranty authorization and it’s red. FCA won’t care for that and likely blame the fluid. Your dealer and outcome may vary

In warranty would either use the zf fluid or not do it at all.

and the initial 1-2 shift thing is pretty common it bugs some people and others not.
I think the drain plugs are known to be weak and strip fairly easily. Some shops have fluid "exchange" machines which don't "flush or pressure" fluid through the lines/components. Rather they undo your fill bolt and place a wand into the pan. It sucks out 1 liter of fluid then pumps one back in, they do this continuously for about 30-45 mins. Because your car is running the entire time its circulating the fluid. At the place I went they charged $200cad and that included 15L of maxlife (as by coincidence they were a vavoline dealer). But had i wanted to use a different fluid and brought my own it would've been $150. No mess, no hassle, fairly quick, and gets about 95% of the old fluid. Also gets around the thermostatic bypass valve which prevents doing a "flush" using the traditional machine.

See comment on reflash with an ATF change (to another type)

Hi guys,

I was looking at a used Ram 1500 3.6 with A ZF transmission. Owner says it's got a harsh shift from 1st to 2nd gear.

I see these tranny's have a plastic pan with and use special fluid that's pricey.

Do any of our members do their own drain and fills along with pan replacement on these vehicles? At the dealer it seems that this service is pretty pricey. YouTube has a lot of videos which show how the pan change and refill can be DIY'd.

Are these transmissions durable long term?
Our 2019 santa fe has an abrupt 1-2 shift 1st thing in the morning also.
Strange, maybe its an 8 speed thing?

Back