Owners of vehicles with ZF 8 spd transmission

I have it in my 2019 Rubicon, but it does not have a rough shift at any point and has been very nice to drive. The pan has to be changed on most ZF transmissions in the FCA line because the filter is built into the pan (though I have read this is not the case on the Wrangler).

I personally would not use anything but approved fluids in that transmission and would stay away from the multi-vehicle fluids out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Hi guys,

I was looking at a used Ram 1500 3.6 with A ZF transmission. Owner says it's got a harsh shift from 1st to 2nd gear.

I see these tranny's have a plastic pan with and use special fluid that's pricey.

Do any of our members do their own drain and fills along with pan replacement on these vehicles? At the dealer it seems that this service is pretty pricey. YouTube has a lot of videos which show how the pan change and refill can be DIY'd.

Are these transmissions durable long term?

I have an '11 BMW 535 with that transmission. Great transmission.

I purchased a service kit from FCPEuro which included all OE parts - a new pan/filter, bolts, and 7qt of genuine ZF Lifeguard 8 for $2xx It was a no brainer.

The job was essentially a drain, pan drop, fill and precise level set using a laptop to monitor transmission fluid temperature. There's gear change sequences and you're supposed to release the brake to let the wheels spin in the final level setting phase.

ZF themselves specify fluid/pan every 60K miles / 100K km.

I suggest you look around at some alternate sources for parts that apply to the Ram installation which may have some alternatives (coolers, pan shape, etc...). I have attached ZF's official guide on fluid changes.

Attachments

• ZF_SI_Oelwechselkit_8HP (50130 EN 04.2016).pdf
    714 KB · Views: 223
If I owned a ZF 8 speed equipped vehicle Maxlife would not be going into it.
If I ever do mine, it’ll get the ZF Lifeguard fluid. I say “if” because I have yet to keep a vehicle that long. But I don’t know why people try to cheap out on it, it’s not like you’re doing it every year, and you’ll never have that “well what if it isn’t okay?” thought in the back of your head. Just do it right, with the right parts and fluids, the first time.

If I ever do mine, it’ll get the ZF Lifeguard fluid. I say “if” because I have yet to keep a vehicle that long. But I don’t know why people try to cheap out on it, it’s not like you’re doing it every year, and you’ll never have that “well what if it isn’t okay?” thought in the back of your head. Just do it right, with the right parts and fluids, the first time.
I agree. My next vehicle will probably have a ZF 8 speed. While Maxlife might be the cat's meow when it comes to ATF my, reading and what well respected member clinebarger stated is more than enough info for me to pay up a few extra dollars and know I have the right fluid in the unit. The cost to repair or rebuild one if those units would be very high. That's if you can find someone that can actually do the job properly. To save a few extra dollars on fluid in a high priced high tech transmission, I don't see the value.

Was looking at the Mopar & ZF ATF online last night … anyone know what makes it so expensive ?
Nothing else comes close …
Too bad they did not come with an good external filter/magnet to protect the unicorn tears …

Last edited:
Was looking at the Mopar & ZF ATF online last night … anyone know what makes it so expensive ?
Nothing else comes close …
Too bad they did not come with an good external filter/magnet to protect the unicorn tears …
The price probably reflects the R&D cost for the entire transmission.

If you believe the LM guys, you can use their universal fluid. It even comes in the correct color. ;)

LIQUI MOLY Top Tec ATF 1800 is suitable for ZF model 8HPxx transmissions. This recommendation is based on extensive tests, the company says. Transmissions of this type are installed in various models by the manufacturers of BMW, Dodge, Iveco, Jaguar, Jeep, Lancia, Land Rover, Maserati, Rolls-Royce and Volkswagen. “This recommendation closes a gap in our line of automatic transmission fluids”, said Harry Hartkorn, head of the LIQUI MOLY applications engineering team.

The filter is built into the pan. Here are some pictures:

FCA sells the pan/filter/bolt kit for a list price of $237. The fluid is part # 68218925AB and lists for $28.60/qt. It is definitely an expensive transmission to service, but the transmission is fairly reliable.

Bizarre, do you really have to change the pan every time? I know you are already there with the pan down. Geez.

The v6 transmissions, 845RE/850RE, are made in Indiana by FCA. They’re slightly different internally from the ZF 8HP45/8HP50, but takes the same fluid and stuff.

The ZF8 in the pentastar powered Ram 1500s is the 8HP45. I owned a 2017 for 2yrs. Mine did it, but not badly and only on that first take off after a cold start.

The harsh 1-2 also effects some 8hp70 that are coupled to hemi powered Rams. I can feel it a little bit on my 2019 8hp70.

Like said, aftermarket pan kits can be had for as little as $30. The 8hp45 and 70 share the same one.

I've read of many people using valvoline Maxlife ATF in them without issue.

Reactions: JC1
The ZF8 in the pentastar powered Ram 1500s is the 8HP45. I owned a 2017 for 2yrs. Mine did it, but not badly and only on that first take off after a cold start.

Everything online shows v6 Ram’s using the 845RE or 850RE, depending on year. There are supposedly some changes to the 845RE/850RE that the 8hp45/8hp50 don’t have to make it easier for Chrysler to make in its own factories. My v6 300 used the 845RE.

Everything online shows v6 Ram’s using the 845RE or 850RE, depending on year.

Yes, FCA calls it an 845RE and produces them in house per what ever agreement they have with ZF, but it's still an 8HP45 with a pentastar specific bellhousing.

I'm not aware of any pentastar Ram 1500 using an 850RE / 8HP50.

Bizarre, do you really have to change the pan every time? I know you are already there with the pan down. Geez.
If you want to service the filter, yes, the filter is part of the pan. A bad idea imo. Good transmissions from what I hear, not so great to service though. Expensive to service too.

If you want to service the filter, yes, the filter is part of the pan. A bad idea imo. Good transmissions from what I hear, not so great to service though. Expensive to service too.
Yeah … being a long term GMC guy … hard to get used to not doing an early venture into the pan … clean magnets … change factory filter … 6 fresh quarts Dex VI, install drain plug, etc etc

Going OT a bit, but here's an example of a ~$30 pan kit for the 8hp45 and 70. https://www.ebay.com/itm/68233701AA-Auto-Transmission-Oil-Pan-For-Ram-1500-Chrysler-300-with-8HP70-845RE/264645659904?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=225074&meid=3e32d022874c462eab758af9a9303781&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=264645659904&itm=264645659904&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2380057&brand=Chrysler&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:7751cfe8-1c4a-11eb-b69c-4e4366666f6d|parentrq:841b21641750a77d338aececfff626b8|iid:1

If you search, there's owners out there with hundreds of thousands of miles on their Ram ZF8's using valvoline maxlife ATF in place of the ZF or mopar juice.

My point is, you can go expensive on a pan drop service or not. I've been following them for about 3yrs and haven't heard of a failure from doing a service on them either way.

Think I have 8HP50 (Pentastar in Rubicon)
IIRC that's what they use. Considering how many people mod their Wranglers, with larger wheel/tire combos, etc. and work them pretty hard off road, I often wondered why when they did the redesign of the Wrangler they didn't build it to fit the heavy duty version of the ZF 8 speed used in other Chrysler products.

Back