Overturned Cargo Ship: Vehicle Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by madRiver
No real loss to automotive world, a bunch of Kia and Hyundai. Sad about sailors.

What happened to the sailors?

Originally Posted by PimTac
No real loss to automotive world, a bunch of Kia and Hyundai. Sad about sailors.

As of 1 hour ago, USCG says all 4 are alive and communicating. They're cutting a hole through the hull to send supplies. Slow but safe process.

Yep-despite the fact that Kia and Hyundai both are selling their new Telluride/Palisades SUVs about as fast as they can make them.

All the sailors are accounted for.

Last edited:
That's what I thought. It sounded like the news had turned for the worse.

I guess the Hyundai Kia hate clouds the mind.

They've been stuck in close quarters with a bunch of upside down Kias for hours. Isn't that bad enough?
smile.gif

Good to hear. I'm sure those guys were very eager to get out. I can only imagine the amount of fumes inside that ship due to spilled gasoline plus other flammables. Add to that the darkness.

Good to hear. I'm sure those guys were very eager to get out. I can only imagine the amount of fumes inside that ship due to spilled gasoline plus other flammables. Add to that the darkness.

The spillage would be quite small if at all as they barely fill cars with fuel from factory. Just enough to drive off factory floor, out to parking lot and then on/off (transport ship or rail) and truck carrier. Likely 1 gallon tops.

Korean made ship, and they are serious marine engineers … but, it sure looks like a high CG …

Originally Posted by andyd
That much property doesn't move around without being insured to the eyeballs. Glad crew is being rescued. Ship looks to be in pretty good shape. Stuck on a sandbar ?

There was probably some foul language used at Lloyd's.

The spillage would be quite small if at all as they barely fill cars with fuel from factory. Just enough to drive off factory floor, out to parking lot and then on/off (transport ship or rail) and truck carrier. Likely 1 gallon tops.

I was going to add something here but what's the point?

I was going to add something here but what's the point?

Now that the crew is safe, we can shift discussion to other stuff like; how will they get that thing right-side up? Or we can all offer our expert opinions on why it tipped.

I'd be interested in how they will right the ship. Took a long time to get the USS Oklahoma right sided at Pearl. That thing is massive.

I read a few stories about this today. You might take this with a grain of salt as reliable as the news is now.

There are reports the ship had a list when it left the dock. I speculate that it was a ballast problem. The loads on the ships are preplanned. The ship was carrying Kia vehicles bound for Europe. So assembled here, exported to Europe.

Right now the port is still closed as they figure out a plan to salvage the ship. My guess is that it will be re-righted and taken to a shipyard for repairs and put back into service. It's too new to write off. The cars will likely be crushed.

I made note of the news being reliable. Point to consider, one news source said this ship was flat bottomed which might cause stability problems. Pictures in that article clearly show the bottom of the hill and it's not flat.

According to a good friend (and retired Merchant Marine Chief Engineer) he theorizes (not likely) mechanical failure or (more likely) the ship was not loaded properly in-accordance to how the ballast tanks were filled. Furthermore, the craft left the port and took a shortcut in shallow water outside the main thru-way to save time. While navigating in shallow water, it likely executed a maneuver that caused a capsize because the ballast and loading were not correct.

As these ships are loaded/unloaded, there are supposed to be logs and checklists to be completed and the data is fed into a computer to calculate the ballast tank settings. Investigations will tell if procedure was followed.

How will they right this vessel? First they will secure/drain the fuel tanks etc... Then, cranes on barges will yank the cargo out of the top-most decks. Ballast tanks will be adjusted to favorable levels and many tugboats will pull it upright. They may need to make some fixtures as anchor points to hold the base of the hull as it's tipped back upright.

This is all theory from a guy with 35 years experience as a Merchant Marine with his last 15 years as a Chief Engineer. Reality may play-out differently...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back