Overturned Cargo Ship: Vehicle Carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reminds me of a Wired story about a car carrier that nearly rolled over while purging its ballast tanks. A guy died in the salvage operation to right the ship and they ended up shredding the cars anyway since they weren't sure of reliability after sitting at an angle for so long.

Hope this guys are ok as well.

Been looking on/off all day for what was onboard …
I have seen a couple car haulers under construction at DSME … but don't recall this sea brick design

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=5%2B3SI4mY&id=31AF56768BBEB3BEDD5324DC16ECC19FD370A336&thid=OIP.5-3SI4mYDWBXsZlP53NYBQHaFi&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fphotos.marinetraffic.com%2Fais%2Fshowphoto.aspx%3Fphotoid%3D3041282&exph=599&expw=800&q=dsme+ship+golden+ray&simid=607996913854581135&selectedindex=1&vt=4&eim=1,2,3,4,6,8&sim=11

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Donald
This is a relatively new ship in a US port. How does this happen?

How was there deaths in a 2019 hurricane you think that have 10 days advance notice would keep this from happening.... maybe the think it's 1919

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WagonWheel
Reminds me of a Wired story about a car carrier that nearly rolled over while purging its ballast tanks. A guy died in the salvage operation to right the ship and they ended up shredding the cars anyway since they weren't sure of reliability after sitting at an angle for so long.

Seriously? It won't hurt a car to be at an angle.

Reminiscent of the M/V Cougar Ace that was carrying thousands of Mazda vehicles that laid over in the Gulf of Alaska.

Even though the cars are tied down, the possibility of them breaking loose if the ship suffers an extreme roll are a good possibility.

Not sure what happened in this case but these ships have a very high freeboard. High winds may have played a part as well as ballast operations.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

This ship rolled a full 90 degrees on to its side, and caught fire. I wouldn't buy a Porsche from that hold!

In the case of the Cougar Ace, the ship was saved and all the cars were crushed in Portland Oregon.

The ship is back in business as we speak.

Originally Posted by PimTac
In the case of the Cougar Ace, the ship was saved and all the cars were crushed in Portland Oregon.

The ship is back in business as we speak.

Yup, that's the Wired piece quoted above.

Main issue was they didn't have data on the long term effects on the cars after remaining at an angle and exposed to salt air. This was pre-Takata recall era.

Fire on board likely heat and smoke damaged the cars.

Those ships look very tippy. Also they have a loading ramp near the waterline like the "roll-on, roll-off" North Sea ferries, is prone to break open and let the ship rapidly take on water and sink.

Last edited:
How does a ship registered in the Marshall Is, sail between US ports ? Isn't the Jones act still enforced? School me please. The RO/ROs I worked on were streamlined compared to that ark. Way too much free board .The tailgate design involves cofferdams with pumps. The ships I worked on were fast transports designed to keep a Marine div. supplied for a month. That thing is a floating warehouse not a ship

It's Tesla's fault...
smile.gif

"The RO/ROs I worked on were streamlined compared to that ark. Way too much free board .The tailgate design involves cofferdams with pumps. The ships I worked on were fast transports designed to keep a Marine div. supplied for a month. That thing is a floating warehouse not a ship"

I ask the same question on the new mega cruise ships that look like floating high rise hotels.

Ballast must be key for these ships. The car carriers than come into the local port here (Tacoma) have to cross the North Pacific. That route can be unforgiving as it includes the Gulf of Alaska.

I am reading news this morning that the Coast Guard is reporting noises coming from inside this ship that has overturned. They are not sure yet if those noises are from people trapped inside but hope still remains. Let's hope for the best.

Originally Posted by motor_oil_madman

Maybe, but it's all about limiting liability in the litigious world we live in.

A car company can't be sued somewhere down the line, for a car with what would be a known history, that never made it into the possession of some sue-happy person.

That much property doesn't move around without being insured to the eyeballs. Glad crew is being rescued. Ship looks to be in pretty good shape. Stuck on a sandbar ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back