oversized filter why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running stock size OEM filters on a 98 jeep 4.0 and honda civic 1.7. Is there any reason to use a larger filter? The honda filter looks small but i have no real reason to change, do I? I would like to avoid changing relief/bypass pressures thats why i'm running stock. Do any of you have a part numbers for oversized filters?
thanks for the help,
Greg

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Well, there's more reasons to do it than there are reasons not to. That's my opinion, anyway.

Look here and see what you like

..or consider the 51347 from WIX. If you can handle the gasket difference, you should be home free.

Gary, Nice site! Saved to fav's.
Thank You
Joe

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Larger filter equals more filter media area to hold more dirt, plus will hold more oil increasing your total sump quantity.

I second that!

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Larger filter equals more filter media area to hold more dirt, plus will hold more oil increasing your total sump quantity.

Don't count on it. Only if they are alike inside. Many of your older filters had a lot of wasted space inside. Smaller filters can have more media than larger ones. I have cut open a bunch of PF 47's and the longer PF 52's. No 2 were the same. In some cases the PF 47 had just as much area as the PF 52. Not all media is the same. A bigger can will hold more oil, but don't assume anything else.

I run oversized on the Aerostar 3.0, basically run the FL1A size and so I can use same filter for both the Aerostar and the '95 F150. I was running oversized on the F150 but when I switched to Baldwin the oversized did not have the threaded end bypass, so I went spec size, which is fairly large anyway and a few bucks cheaper.

I don't get excited about all the filter specs, maybe because it's too confusing and it's a compromise between filtration and flow. I figure use a high quality filter and forget about it. Far more important to the engine oil is air filtration and, sad to say, I suspect many filer boxes, especially on older cars, do not seal properly. My next air filter will be the Fram (can't remember exact name) that has oiled paper element.

For most of us, using a bigger oil filter is just a feelgood move, given that most of us change the oil at/before 8k miles and that a larger filter doesn't increase the oil capacity by much at all.

Unless you're trying to run your oil longer than average, I've never seen a reason to use one. Even then, many people change the filter during the long run.

I'd much rather have a quality standard size filter than a poor quality larger one.

I dunno if I believe in a bigger filter holds more dirt, but I do believe that some filters are built way better than others.

I run Amsoil EAO filters out to 20K KM (12K Miles) and have had no issues. My filter is not all that big either as seen below.

filter2.jpg

Another advantage of oversize (especially longer) filters was noted by my brother on the Briggs & Stratton engine in his mower - the MotorCraft FL400S he installed is MUCH easier to get at than the short'ish OEM filter - it's short and stuck back in behind a bunch of stuff; he was always scuffing his knuckles and such to get it out of there. The longer FL400 sticks out enough to make it a piece of cake to remove.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back