Overkill suggestions for 2010 Kia Soul 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
As set out in my post in the vehicles forum, I just got a new-to-me 2010 Kia Soul 2U with the 2.0L 4-cylinder engine with 84k miles on it. It runs great so far, with no leaks or consumption that I have found (touch wood).

It took some work to get this one, and it HAS to last as long as possible...so overkill for maintenance will be the name of the game. Manual calls for 5k OCI's; and, as with some newer import cars says "...5W-20 is best for economy, but in hot weather, 5W-30 or 10W-30 may be best for engine protection..."

One thing that is very different to me is just how hard this thing revs at highway speeds...70mph is 3k rpm...my last two vehicles were at about 2200rpm at this speed. This vehicle will see a fair amount of highway driving, and we are just coming into warmer spring/summer weather, so I think a change to a 30-weight is in order. Currently has 5W-20 QSGB in it from a NAPA autopro change with about 2.5k on it.

So, I'm thinking of going with something ultra-stout, like Amsoil 10W-30; a 10W-30 HDEO; GC 0W-30 or M1 0W-40 with a Fram Ultra filter...thoughts/suggestions? Lets see what people vote for...

My Ecotec engine really seems to enjoy the change to M1 0w30 AFE, it might be worth a try! This coming from someone who used M1 until I joined BITOG.....and giving it a try for the first time in a while!

GC 0w30 would be a good one too....

Hyundai/Kia comes from factory usually with QSGB/QSED/QSUD
Depending on model and make

I'd run 5w30, maybe a 10w30 Rotella T6 if you want to go synthetic

BUT

I see no reason to not run QSED as it can be had for 16$
OEM filters can be found for 3.XX OR LESS on Amazon in case packs

Hyundai/KIA filters are made by MANN Korea, and have great build quality.
I'll be using them after this fill.

Be careful with Non MANN filters too.
Hyundai/Kia filters are more for Flowrate than they are for efficiency, still good filters, yet you don't want an oil pressure issue

My vote would be Napa Synthetic since it's on sale for only $2.99/qt this month. Fram Ultra is good, but easier to just pick up a Napa Gold (Wix) while you're getting the oil. Napa Synthetic is rebranded Synpower.

Well, if you are looking for something Ultra Stout. I would say look into Redlines offering.

Redline 0-20

The 0w-20 and 5w-20 are super stable,almost as thick as a 30 weight but still flow at -76f. -49f for the 5w-20

Last edited:
i was going to ask a similar question. i just purchased a 2015 soul with the 2.0 GDI. I read a lot of stuff out there about using certain types of oil in GDI's. anyone have advice about what i should use.

Thanks

I'd think that any 5W-30 syn would be overkill for this pretty basic engine.
If you wanted to go wild, M1 or Edge 0W-40 would be good choices.
I had no idea that the Soul was geared as short as what you've described, although still taller than my old BMW.

I've had three Hyundais, and I see no reason to use anything but a name brand 5w-30 synthetic at the best available price. I had good luck using Baldwin oil filters, if you don't want to use Hyundai/kia.

I change oil on our friend's 2012 Kia Soul with 2.0 engine. We have been feeding it a steady diet of PP 5W-20 in the cooler 6 months and PP 10W-30 in the warmer 6 months (South Carolina). Changed twice per year using Fram Ultra XG3593 oil filter. She ends up driving about 10k miles per oil change. Very little consumption. Engine looks spotless inside at 100k miles. Purge valve died recently and I replaced for her to get engine light off. Dealer wants to reflash ECU for her to remap purge cycles and fix that known issue.

Since it sounds as though you are going to change it every 5k miles, and you do a fair amount of highway driving, put some Mobil 5000 conventional oil in it and drive it. The oil is guaranteed for 5k miles and is not crazy expensive.

If you want synthetic oil, go with Mobil 1 5w30 for summer and 0w30 for your Canadian winters.

Hope the vehicle gets you to 400K miles. Good luck

At 5k OCI's any good 5w30 will be more than enough. Running Magnatec in our KIA for 3 OCI's now (great stuff) but Pennzoil Gold would be another good bet. Even PYB would be overkill at 5k OCI's but the others are only a buck or two more and are stout blends.

For 5,000 mile OCIs, my vote goes to Pennzoil or Valvoline conventional in 5W-30. Mobil Super 5000 is a solid option as well. My Fiesta runs high RPM on the highway too & seems to shear the oil. I've yet to run an extended oil change with it because of this, I'm going to try 10,000 miles on this Mobil 1 Ext. Performance. I figured EP may be more shear stable. But for 5K miles in an engine that can use either 5W-20 or 5W-30, you'll be doing just fine with a solid conventional.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
At 5k OCI's any good 5w30 will be more than enough. Running Magnatec in our KIA for 3 OCI's now (great stuff) but Pennzoil Gold would be another good bet. Even PYB would be overkill at 5k OCI's but the others are only a buck or two more and are stout blends.

^^^This^^^

Looks like many posters are favoring 5w-30 for your Soul. No reason to use something "ultra stout." It's an economy vehicle. NAPA stores are still running the full synthetic sale for the month of May.

So the first thing to do is to join a forum related to that vehicle. Read all you can on failures and what the fix's are. That will get you in front of stuff that can go wrong at the last minute or out of the way place where you can't get parts, etc.

Next, keep the OCI short - say 5K so that you are in, under and around the vehicle a fair amount. That will let you check stuff more often from underneath. Get used to what is normal so that you can spot something amiss and know what it is.

Obviously keep it clean, but stay away from the pressure washer under hood and such as it can force water into spaces that would never normally see water under pressure.

As far as oil - if you can live with a 15W in the winter (Canada?) you can go to Chevron's new Delo 400 SD 15W-30 as about the stoutest multi out there right now. http://fleetowner.com/equipment/chevron-introduces-new-15w-30-engine-oil-blend Note that it is certified for mixed fleet use, so that means gas engines too
smile.gif

If not, a xW-30 Pennz Ultra on 8K changes would be my next choice. Try to keep the spread between W and op temp viscosities as close as possible (10W-30 vs a 5W-30) to minimize the percentage of VII's used to get cold flow characteristics, because it means they start with a thinner base stock and add up to the op temp viscosity ...

Lastly, I'd pay real close attention to the filter situation. As noted, these things like a high flow filter. To get there and keep the small particle size entrapment you are looking for, you need to go oversized (more media area).

So go by the local Napa Auto with your existing filter number and have them cross it up to a bigger filter that will fit. Sometimes you are length limited, sometimes diameter limited. But there should be an oversized that will fit. It will give you more area and more volume so you just added crankcase capacity and maybe air cooling surface area for not much more $$
smile.gif

I highly recommend Napa Gold filters for a situation like yours. Made by WIX and very nice units. The price differential is a Latte' once in a while compared to a run-of-the-mile filter, and should be about the same as OEM...

Keep it clean, especially the air cleaner (make sure it seals well and no leaks in the intake plumbing). Hose off gently once in while underneath and it should last a long time
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: addyguy
As set out in my post in the vehicles forum, I just got a new-to-me 2010 Kia Soul 2U with the 2.0L 4-cylinder engine with 84k miles on it. It runs great so far, with no leaks or consumption that I have found (touch wood).

It took some work to get this one, and it HAS to last as long as possible...so overkill for maintenance will be the name of the game. Manual calls for 5k OCI's; and, as with some newer import cars says "...5W-20 is best for economy, but in hot weather, 5W-30 or 10W-30 may be best for engine protection..."

One thing that is very different to me is just how hard this thing revs at highway speeds...70mph is 3k rpm...my last two vehicles were at about 2200rpm at this speed. This vehicle will see a fair amount of highway driving, and we are just coming into warmer spring/summer weather, so I think a change to a 30-weight is in order. Currently has 5W-20 QSGB in it from a NAPA autopro change with about 2.5k on it.

So, I'm thinking of going with something ultra-stout, like Amsoil 10W-30; a 10W-30 HDEO; GC 0W-30 or M1 0W-40 with a Fram Ultra filter...thoughts/suggestions? Lets see what people vote for...

Timing belt NOW if you don't have proof it was changed. Interval is 48 months / 100,000 km and they don't like being ignored.

Trans fluid change if it's an auto. Make sure it's approved SP III Fluid.

Store brand synthetic every 10,000 km. 0W30 would be good in Canada.

Last edited:
Timing belt was done at 108k km with a Gates Belt. Check.

Interesting about the OEM filters; may have to make the effort to get one of those, seems it is worth it for these cars.

Agree that I am definitely over-thinking the oil thing - go to a Soul forum, they are almost all running 20-weights. This one has 5W-20 in it, I have pt 1k km on it over the last 10 days in all conditions, and it runs fine...no leaks, no consumption.

I will most likely still put a 30-weight into it for the summer...but that will happen in a couple of weeks in early June. Will UOA current fill to see how it looks...stay tuned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back