Outsourcing vs In-sourcing !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: madRiver
Gm, ford could not design a competitive small vehicle.

The Focus is the best-selling vehicle in the world, last time I checked at least...

Check again, for 2015 it was the Toyota Corolla.

OP, you forgot one tiny inconvenient fact to your story and that is the Bolt is going to be manufactured (final assembly) in the US. At least tell the entire story instead of a negative story against a US manufacturer who will be beating Tesla to market with a reasonably priced EV. Yes designed in Korea. Yes they teamed with a leading EV drivetrain expert company.

It is a global economy and sometimes the winning solution is not just to do it in your home country.

It is rather hilarious to me that people want to defend GM and yet they are the EXACT same people who speak of $15 an hour minimum pay rate. Where have all the good paying jobs gone???? Ohh who care if GM sends those jobs overseas... that doesn't matter, ohh well, Americans too lazy etc etc.

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
OP, you forgot one tiny inconvenient fact to your story and that is the Bolt is going to be manufactured (final assembly) in the US. At least tell the entire story instead of a negative story against a US manufacturer who will be beating Tesla to market with a reasonably priced EV. Yes designed in Korea. Yes they teamed with a leading EV drivetrain expert company.

It is a global economy and sometimes the winning solution is not just to do it in your home country.

I didn't pay attention to that fact. I only read the article about it was designed in South Korea and it made my blood broiled.

As you already know, Tesla had few hundreds million loan from US Dept of Energy around 2010-2011 and they paid all of t back plus interest few years ago(2013 ?) but someone keep talking about this tiny loan. At the time they received the loan from Dept of Energy they employed about 3,000 people and it is more than 15,000 now. Did the loan work ? Did Federal Government lost money with a loan to Tesla ? or Federal Government had some profit with Tesla deal and lost more than $10 Billion with GM bail out ?

Didn't you see that ? Tesla had some helps from US tax payers and they repaid the taxpayers with good paying jobs for Americans, not spending money oversea to employ non-American workers. Yes, they bought some parts oversea because many of them, especially the Li-on batteries, aren't available in US.

Did Tesla have their vehicles deigned outside US ? Did they have their power train designed by a South Korean company ? They bought battery cells from Panasonic but made the pack by themselves.

Where did Tesla build their Gigafactory ? In China or in South Korea or in US ?

Everybody knows that environmental regulations in US is much tougher than in China, if Tesla has Gigafactory in China they may save few pennies, but they decided to built that factory here and they will have about 5,000-6,000 good paying jobs right here in US employ Americans rather than a factory in China employing Chinese.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Ford, BMW and Toyota did take secret money from the U.S. government.
I call [censored] on that. Show us the proof. "Secret money" what is that, a different color?

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Why Honda shift more jobs into America while no money was given to them by Federal government, and American company doesn't want to keep jobs in America ?

For someone who posted about American doesn't know how to design small cars, Honda designed/engineered/tested small cars in America, one of them is Civic and it is selling very well. If Honda can make Civic with American Designers/Engineers why not GM or Ford or Chrysler ? How many Honda vehicles currently on sale in North America are made in Japan or any country outside North America ?

Didn't you guy see the dilemma ? A Japanese car company design/engineer/test/manufacture most vehicles for sale in North America using local labors, an American car company has their vehicles designed outside US and import it into America.

Right now, someone on a Japanese car forum is complaining that us Americans are taking their jobs, because Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Mazda, Infiniti, Lexus, and Acura are designing and producing their cars in the US, Mexico, Canada, and other places, OTHER than Japan, where they need jobs, too.

The same thing is happening on a German car forum, British car forum, Swedish car forum, and even on the South Korean car forum.

So, HTSS_TR, quit your bellyaching about the subject, and move on in life.

BC.

GM employs more Americans than Honda, Nissan, Toyota and Hyundai/Kia combined.

Originally Posted By: double vanos
I worry about all the manufacturing plants that are in (or being planned for) Mexico. How does this phrase catch you - "Mexican Manufacturing Juggernaut "?

"so they close our factories. Fire all the workers and move to other places, then they sell the product back to us? We get unemployment, no taxes and they think they are going to send it back in with no tax, not if I'm elected."

Last edited:

I didn't pay attention to that fact. I only read the article about it was designed in South Korea and it made my blood broiled.

As you already know, Tesla had few hundreds million loan from US Dept of Energy around 2010-2011 and they paid all of t back plus interest few years ago(2013 ?) but someone keep talking about this tiny loan. At the time they received the loan from Dept of Energy they employed about 3,000 people and it is more than 15,000 now. Did the loan work ? Did Federal Government lost money with a loan to Tesla ? or Federal Government had some profit with Tesla deal and lost more than $10 Billion with GM bail out ?

Didn't you see that ? Tesla had some helps from US tax payers and they repaid the taxpayers with good paying jobs for Americans, not spending money oversea to employ non-American workers. Yes, they bought some parts oversea because many of them, especially the Li-on batteries, aren't available in US.

Steady on Jimmy, your broiled (boiled ???) blood will rupture something

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/052815/who-are-teslas-tsla-main-suppliers.asp

Daewoo sounds so much better with another badge on it. We used to get one here called the Pontiac Le Mans....sounds great, but it was a Daewoo...which was a Korean made Opel.

Did Tesla have their vehicles deigned outside US ? Did they have their power train designed by a South Korean company ? They bought battery cells from Panasonic but made the pack by themselves.

Everybody knows that environmental regulations in US is much tougher than in China, if Tesla has Gigafactory in China they may save few pennies, but they decided to built that factory here and they will have about 5,000-6,000 good paying jobs right here in US employ Americans rather than a factory in China employing Chinese.

Tesla is bringing the Li ion production to the US (yes that's great) but they are doing it with Panasonic who is a major partner in both investment and the operation of the plant.
https://electrek.co/2016/06/17/panasonic-tesla-gigafactory-battery-cell-hiring-event/

You complain about GM designing and purchase drivetrain from Korea but they will build and assemble in the US. On the other hand Tesla built the backbone of their company on the shoulders of Panasonic batteries produced in Japan and then will bring that production to the US but still backed and partly operated by Panasonic.

As well Shannow showed how many Tesla part suppliers are foreign. It just goes to show the global nature of the business and there is no domestic only EV.

The only reason Tesla is still alive is because there are enough sucker investors looking to chase a fad.

Tesla is not a fad. Normally fads are short-lived. Tesla has a chance to be productive 1-2 decades-long.

Outsourcing mostly involves unskilled workers in large numbers. Insourcing mostly involves small numbers of skilled workers.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: firemachine69
The only reason Tesla is still alive is because there are enough sucker investors looking to chase a fad.

Do you know majority Tesla share holders are institutional investors and mutual funds ?

Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/TSLA/holders?ltr=1

Top Institutional Holders

Baillie Gifford and Company 13,066,791 Shares 9.76% $2,773,818,380
FMR, LLC 16,368,104 Shares 12.22% $3,760,899,321

Top Mutual Fund Holders

Fidelity Contrafund Inc 5,504,182 Shares 4.11% $1,228,698,525
Fidelity OTC Portfolio 3,139,299 Shares 2.34% $700,785,703

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
In California you can bypass all the politics and government interference based on who owns which politician by buying a pre 75 vehicle, a pickup for example, fix it up and drive it until you drop. It won't be popular. It won't be an airbagged environment capsule. The younger generations will think you're crazy because of all the absolute never do without necessities you don't have like computer controls, TPMS, OCM, and on and on and on, but you'll be the only one that knows for sure. You can step out of the rat race, ditch your smart phone and live your life.

and end up paying way more to the biggest political influencer of the world: the oil industry.

For someone who posted about American doesn't know how to design small cars, Honda designed/engineered/tested small cars in America, one of them is Civic and it is selling very well. If Honda can make Civic with American Designers/Engineers why not GM or Ford or Chrysler ? How many Honda vehicles currently on sale in North America are made in Japan or any country outside North America ?

Didn't you guy see the dilemma ? A Japanese car company design/engineer/test/manufacture most vehicles for sale in North America using local labors, an American car company has their vehicles designed outside US and import it into America.

It is okay to have plants outside US for local markets, example: GM has many plants with local Chinese companies to produce vehicles for Chinese market. BMW, MB, Toyota, Honda ... do the same, they teamed with local companies to produce vehicles for Chinese and Asian people.

Do you know why Honda parent company in Japan decided to let Honda of America design the new NSX ? They could did it by themselves in Japan but they trust American designers/engineers enough to let them do it.

Do you also know that more than half of the engineers designing the iPhone since iPhone 4 were from the now defunct company call Palm? Same people, under different managements and resources, produce very different results.

Americans got talents, it is the investors' short sightness that forces managements to target short term profit, and end up with great disasters that ruined companies. Foreign products that are designed for long term success is a great bargain for the consumers, and in the long run for the foreign companies that are willing to accept lower short term profit along the way.

I buy both domestic and foreign products, but I believe buying low quality rip off junk just because it is "Made in America" is going to hurt us in the long run, and is totally unpatriotic.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Gm, ford could not design a competitive small vehicle.

The best thing they did is import designs from euro Focus, fiesta and euro Cruze, spark etc.

Before that not even competitive so they tried on price.

I took this comment as American don't know how to design small vehicle.

I agree that the management is more or less the problem, sometime. Honda and Toyota are thinking more in long term stability than short term profit. American Honda took over the design of Civic many years ago and they did very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back