$500,000 Executive pay limit for bailout companies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Ceos pay is way too much because they have no risk in the failure of the busisness win or loose.

Well, sorta. They have their fix in from the start being members of The League of Distinguished Gentlemen ..but that bonus is for attaining given goals ..and one would assume that, if not attained, the "bonus" would be lower.

In reality they get massive compensation anyway ..and much of it is "owned income" and not earned income.

Oh ..aside from the vesting test for non-cash earned income, I'd also make it illegal to leverage against it to escape any capital gains or whatever.

Don't know how the stock issues are taxed over there.

But the stocks issued instead of income should be taxed just the same as if it was a dollar paid as income, and in the same year as it is given.

(There's a high flier down here who's arguing that his stock issues should be taxed only when he sells them, rather than the day he was given them as compensation...just before his company went down the toilet).

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Ceos pay is way too much because they have no risk in the failure of the busisness win or loose. If you put all your life savings into a buisness and it fails you lose if you succede you should benefit. Most government people make way too much in pay and benes ,they have no resposibility for the decisions they make.

Are you saying that we should go back to the monarchy and noble system?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Ceos pay is way too much because they have no risk in the failure of the busisness win or loose. If you put all your life savings into a buisness and it fails you lose if you succede you should benefit. Most government people make way too much in pay and benes ,they have no resposibility for the decisions they make.

Are you saying that we should go back to the monarchy and noble system?

Who do you think are your CEO's? Commoners? They're part of a neo-feudal system. They're economically aligned in stead of with bloodlines ..well, that too ..except that the theory of relativity is based on economic clout.

Some of the LoDG's don't let their bloodline out of their control...just in case.

Interesting article in New Scientist about how they've managed to avoid inbred diseases.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
people upset and rightfully so are executives being rewarded for failure. Especially when those rewards are subsidized by U.S. taxpayers.”

We should cap the salary of Congress members then, since Congress is an utter failure. $700/week with no benefits. Live like the rabble. Perhaps if they did that for a few years they'd start making better decisions for all of us since they'd have a clear picture of reality for the masses.

Do you really think these congress people are in it for the salary? They probably take a huge pay cut to get into politics to begin with.

Even if they take a huge pay cut to get in there they still get congressional retirement benefits even if they only serve one term. So I bet they consider this when they run for office. The perks might be why some of them ran in the first place.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Some of the LoDG's don't let their bloodline out of their control...just in case.

Interesting article in New Scientist about how they've managed to avoid inbred diseases.

The DuPont family has their own institute to care for the products of poor breeding.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Who do you think are your CEO's?

Dr. Eli Hararri started our company some 20 or so years ago. He still eat with us in the Cafeteria every day and would overhear our conversation when we get in line to get coffee. One time he was concerned that I mentioned factories in China are sending people home way before new year due to the recessions.

There are scum bag CEOs out there like the ones from Maxtor before merger with Seagate, or a few smaller CEOs that are just crooked, but I personally trust Eli and he is still receiving patents and he still checks on the progress on engineering projects fairly frequently, if not daily.

Have no problem with the cap on salary and actually I don't think they ought to get the stock options either. As long as they are taking bailout money the gov has a right to put restrictions on the money. If they don't like it then they don't have to take it. Pretty simple. When they get the company back on solid ground then they can start getting paid whatever they can screw the stockholders out of.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Who do you think are your CEO's?

Dr. Eli Hararri started our company some 20 or so years ago. He still eat with us in the Cafeteria every day and would overhear our conversation when we get in line to get coffee. One time he was concerned that I mentioned factories in China are sending people home way before new year due to the recessions.

There are scum bag CEOs out there like the ones from Maxtor before merger with Seagate, or a few smaller CEOs that are just crooked, but I personally trust Eli and he is still receiving patents and he still checks on the progress on engineering projects fairly frequently, if not daily.

While I've met men of class and I've also met many that have none. They span the entire economic strata and sub strata. The day you surrender your humanity for money ...is the day you sold your soul.

Most that we are referring to don't really live in the same world that we do. Not even close. Most were born to higher station ..groomed to fill the board room from the day they were born. I'm sure that they even have their own form of a "program" for the black sheep in the club. "Stick Hawthorn at that loser of a company. There he can't do any harm. Give him the usual benefit package. "

Once the pay cap and special government oversight idea has been established for bailed-out companies, it's just a question of offering all corporations and individuals bailout money...

Would you accept government oversight as to how you spend your savings, in return for $1000 bailout money?

They've got a choice.

When you are in receivership, you don't get a great deal of say in how the company resources are spent.

Maybe, if I want the $1000 bad enough. If they don't want to make the money that they receive pay in product ..they don't have to accept it. Die and wither ..and eat dog dirt for all I care.

If I am financing the enterprise with my $$$ (that includes neo-Imperialistic adventures) I had DARN WELL be on the list for the distribution of the booty. So far, I've been ripped off.

Of course this would not be retroactive and the 2 trillion already given out to the financial institutions would be exempt. They would only be affected if they receive new money.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it." 
--Frederic Bastiat, "The Law" (1850)--

My idea for congress is since they spend the money, any defict spending comes out of their personal pockets, not the tax payers pockets.

Let's see how long deficit spending continues if they have to make up the differences personally!

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Once the pay cap and special government oversight idea has been established for bailed-out companies, it's just a question of offering all corporations and individuals bailout money...

Would you accept government oversight as to how you spend your savings, in return for $1000 bailout money?

And how about setting the pay of not just the CEO's but the rest of the employees? It follows that since there are many more of them that they're a large cost to the companies.

We're watching an idea that was bad in the beginning become even worse by the day. The salary cap was pure populist in motive. Lipstick on a pig.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
They've got a choice.

When you are in receivership, you don't get a great deal of say in how the company resources are spent.

They should have been in receivership and been reorganized to be profitable concerns or liquidated. Instead they're now pseudo government entities with all that goes along with that.

Originally Posted By: jsharp

We're watching an idea that was bad in the beginning become even worse by the day. The salary cap was pure populist in motive. Lipstick on a pig.

My populist plan never came to air: Bust the top failing 200 CEOs for fraud, arrest them, put them in jail, no bail... all flight risks b/c of their $$$. The "fraud" would be some statement, somewhere like an annual report, that things are peachy.

Call grand juries, one CEO at a time, because it is hard finding experts and sorting through the evidence. Let them all sit around and rot until the process sorts them out. Drop the charges if their companies improve.

The common man needs faith in the economy for recovery to happen, populist mechanations that wall street is being "punished" for its excesses may well lead to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back