Outdated smartphone

Anyone here using a smartphone android or apple that is 3 yrs or so out of date? Do you have any concerns about security issues etc?

Just curious how people feel about their phones.

I phone 4, still works fine. I do not used the phone for internet purchase or banking info so no concerns at all.

My android phone is over three years old. Many updates have been applied and it's working fine. I don't get the mindset of people that have to pay $1000+ once a year to get the latest and greatest phone.
I got the latest, with the greatest updates yesterday.
pixel 4a 5g for $190 including tax. unlocked. I did trade in my broken down 2 year old pixel 3.. that I paid 800$ for and received $820 in fi credit for purchasing.
ie I didnt have phone bill for 1.5 years.

The pixel 3 was still doing fine except battery life went from poor when it was new to abysmal. and the charging port was getting flaky.
normal trade is was 90-110 but deal yesterday 275$ trade in.

I too would have a hard time dropping $1000 on a phone.. but maybe $500.
and I dont mean one of those carrier subsidized ones where you get locked in for 2 years of big bills for a "free phone".

Phone bill is 3 phones on total wireless for 90$ with 60GB data.

My one coworker who I have worked with since 2008, was using some LG trash 29.99 phone for 3 years because she dropped her S7 and shattered it.
It didnt support VoLTE either.. which is mandatory for straighttalk in jan 2021.

Picked up a 20$ moto e6 for her which was unbelievably better than the trash she had. It got me homecooked leftover lunches for a week at work.
she can cook :love:.

so summary: beyond security updates.. most carriers will be turning off 3G and requiring VoLTE soon.. so if your parents or grandparents have an ancient flip phone or cheapo smartphone from 3+ years ago. you might need to help them migrate to something supported.

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
$275 trade in for an old phone is a sweet deal. They were offering me $50 for my Pixel 2 - i decided just to keep it as backup.

If it is an older Android phone you can see if there is a lineage OS version for it. That would get you security updates.
I'm going to look into that lineage OS.. my personal phone is the iPhone se 2020 I traded up from the 1st generation se.. however I was thinking about using an lg Phoenix 3 on at&t prepaid for a work phone.

If it is an older Android phone you can see if there is a lineage OS version for it. That would get you security updates.
Does the lineage install over the stock os? Such as Google play store apps will no longer work.

I do, LG G6 that's a bit over 3 years old. Sprint and LG are awful when it comes to the latest Android update and I don't really worry too much with security issues. I do keep it updated as much as possible and I know not to click on everything that looks cool....unlike some of my users at work.

Anyone here using a smartphone android or apple that is 3 yrs or so out of date? Do you have any concerns about security issues etc?

Just curious how people feel about their phones.
Apple patches old stuff as I have gotten updates on our iPhone 5s.

Android >=3 yrsI would be concerned unless you DIY.

Brother in law is still on his iPhone 5c, mom is on an iPhone 6, sister on an iPhone 6s, son on an iPhone 7+, and I am on an iPhone X, all are 3 years or older, no issues with them for the most part (the 5C is not getting updates and can't run a lot of apps, or at least can't update apps, the 6 is starting to be in the same position).

I still use my Nokia N8 when I'm bored. I've had to replace the battery and screen once. SIM adapters are great :)

It was the coolest phone to tinker with when I had my Nokia N8. Camera performance similar to a point and shoot camera, FM receiver and transmitter, and the few phones to have an RGB (non-pentile) OLED screen. I even had the special factory software restore tool so I could install Symbian Belle without being region locked by the built-in updater.

Back