Ouch! Got rear-ended on the drive home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Glad you’re ok. Yes it seems your car turned out ok, and it is a slap in the face when some idiot damages your stuff. Doubly so when you have to nickel and dime the insurance company to get the repair to your standards.

Id suspect they’ll put a used trunk lid and Chinese bumper cover that may or may not fit perfect onto your car. Unless you state otherwise.

No trunk lid needed, as there was no damage to the trunk, tail lights, fender, etc.. Seems to all be confined to the bumper and muffler/exhaust system.

I have an appt on Tuesday to have them check everything out and get started on repairs. It's possible there MAY be other mechanical damage since the exhaust took a hit. There's a definite exhaust leak near the front.

Originally Posted by henni
Do not forget that insurance will not make good on Diminished Value when it comes time to sell/trade the car.

That will have to be settled separately. No insurance company will voluntarily offer to pay for DV.

https://www.ican2000.com/dvfaqs.html

Not too much of a concern, although I am conscious of it. The car already has 261,000 miles on it, and I plan to keep it until at least roughly 483,400 miles, so resale value isn't a big concern.

Originally Posted by Gebo
You do know you can pick whatever body shop you want? You don't have to go where his insurance tells you.

I'd go the "best" one in your area.

I'm actually taking the car to the one I've taken my cars to in the past for body work/post accident evaluation. It's one that my own insurance company (USAA) recommends, too. Also, my claim is through my own insurance, not his. I opened the claim with them while we were waiting for the police to show up at the scene, and had it all completed before he left. Police report lists the other driver at fault, and my insurance will waive the deductible (only $250, but still..) if 1) he is at fault, and 2) the repairs exceed my deductible. Since both of those are met, I expect it should go pretty smooth. This body shop is really good.

One of the guys I work with actually owns a body shop, too, which has been in business for about 12 years. On the off chance they try to total the car (it is, after all, 9 years old and has 261,000 miles on it), then I plan to buy it back and use the remaining payout money to take to his shop, which also happens to have a 'mechanical' section that can address the exhaust and mounts as well, as needed. Hopefully, this won't be necessary, but it's nice to have a fall-back option.

Originally Posted by henni
Do not forget that insurance will not make good on Diminished Value when it comes time to sell/trade the car.

That will have to be settled separately. No insurance company will voluntarily offer to pay for DV.

https://www.ican2000.com/dvfaqs.html

You DV is moot on any vehicle over 100,000 miles or if the vehicle has ever been in an accident. If you filed under your own carrier they do not owe DV per AZ law.

Glad you're OK (for now). Damage doesn't look too bad but the body shop will know. A friend here was rear-ended while sitting at a stoplight in his mid 2000s Explorer. Hit so hard his seat collapsed backwards and his glasses went out the shattered back window onto the road. He has neck and back problems, been going to PT for some time. Distracted driver but the police couldn't make much of it. Don't try to tough it out if you feel something hurting.

Reminds me a lot of the wreck my Mom was involved in with her '93 Thunderbird. We were on the interstate going through Kansas City, in snowy conditions. I was ahead of my Mom in my own car, and we all had to brake for slow traffic ahead. The S-10 behind my mom hit her. We all pulled over, and as I walked back toward my mom's car, I saw the smashed and mangled nose of the S-10, and expected the worst of the Thunderbird as I continued walking. Her bumper literally had a tiny indention and a scrape. The tank-like build of her T-bird, combined with the S-10 essentially hitting her bumper with its grille, combined to make a strange-looking wreck. One vehicle was mashed, while the other looked largely untouched.

Glad your car fared so well, considering it was someone else's stupidity that caused it.

I dunno. The other guy's insurance company called me pretty quick, and contacted USAA pretty quick and accepted fault really quick, telling USAA to just "send them the bill". I have to wonder if perhaps they're in damage control mode, hoping I won't sue or something like that. I got the impression it wasn't the first accident that the guy who hit me had been in.

Update - Got a call and email from USAA a little earlier today. Estimate came to $2502.73, and USAA has already issued the check. Deductible waived, and I'm supposed to get the car back 9/14.

Can't believe how quickly and smoothly this has gone so far.

Um... thought he was asking me.

They've given me a 2018 Nissan Frontier extended cab truck as a rental. Nice truck, rides smooth, comfortable. I'll take it
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SirTanon
Um... thought he was asking me.

They've given me a 2018 Nissan Frontier extended cab truck as a rental. Nice truck, rides smooth, comfortable. I'll take it
smile.gif

Thank god it's not a Chevy Spark
crackmeup2.gif

Last year when I was rear ended Hertz gave me a Yaris for a rental. Nope! It was their only car, so I drove it from Gilbert to Scottsdale to exchange it for a Sonata hybrid.

Agreed. There were a lot of cars I would have accepted, including a Corolla, and other smaller cars. A Spark was not one of them. The Frontier doesn't get as good fuel economy as I would like, but it definitely rides nice, has great visibility, and lots of power. I like the 4.0.

so it isn't totalled with $2.5k in repairs; so how much they value the car in the first place; their math is off IMO

Originally Posted by miden851
so it isn't totalled with $2.5k in repairs; so how much they value the car in the first place; their math is off IMO

How is their math off?

My 2000 Camry with over 200k miles was totaled 2 years ago, the insurance valued it at $3,450. That took into consideration of existing scratches and dings, which took $500 off the value. So in perfect shape my 16 year old Camry was valued at $3,950.

I paid $2,100 for it.

Originally Posted by miden851

Unlikely.. although I think the estimate came close to the 'make-or-break' number.. Pictures don't really show it, but my Fusion is in amazing condition, both aesthetically and mechanically. I wash it regularly, it gets waxed multiple times per year and I always hand wash, no dents, rust, or other flaws to speak of. The engine received a top-end overhaul about 18 months ago, and UOAs continue to come back with stellar numbers. I have absolutely no doubt the car will make it another 200,000 miles. She also sees regular maintenance, has new brakes, etc.. She's due for new rear wheel bearings and front strut assemblies, but those are maintenance, and I've already got parts.

I'd say she's in the top 5% of all 2010 Fusions in terms of overall condition, and based off that, I'd estimate her value to be somewhere around $3,500 to $4,000. 75% of $3,500 is $2625, so $2500 comes in just short, and so she passes.

Also, there is something else to consider - The other driver was 100% at fault, and his insurance was SUPER quick to contact both me and my insurance to state they were fully accepting fault. They also told my insurance within 24 hours to bill them for the repairs. His insurance is "Coast National" - one I've never heard of, and I'd wager is probably one of those "high-risk" insurers.. If I'm right, they probably knew he was a risk and wanted to simply get me fixed and back on the road ASAP to avoid any potential legal mess. Just a guess, of course.

Had they pushed it and tried total the car, I have plenty of evidence showing the car's overall condition (UOAs going back nearly 3 full years, service records going back to when I bought the car over 4 years ago, etc.. I would have pushed back.

Yes, for a smaller repair where there is clear liability like this, the other driver's insurer may be inclined to fix it with few questions asked with the goal of no bodily injury to the driver whose car was rear ended.

Well, got the car back this evening. Looks great! I need to take some pics of it, but they also did a seriously good job getting the exhaust fixed. The exhaust pipes are substantially better than the stock stuff that was on there. Bigger, and appear to be stainless. I also like the look of the single tip.

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back