OTC Oil Recomendation for 2004 Honda Accord

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys, whats recomendation for 2004 Honda Accord V6 6spd
want to have oil that i can get in retail store, tired of ordering and paying too much for oil. id rather change it more often
car has 92K on it already
been using 10W-30 oil last oil change, 2 oil changes before that it was 0W-30, used synthetic since about 60k

I would use Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 Whatever is Cheaper... If you are a Dino guy then Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or Valvoline White Bottle.

Cheers
cheers3.gif

Steve
grin2.gif

^^not sure if i would go that high with oil changes, previouse UO reports recomended no more then 7K even with AMSOIL

any OTC oil filters use synthetic filter media like AMSOIL?

Last edited:
any problems going from synthetic to non synthetic? id rather get synthetic and change it every 5k for piece of mind since im gona keep car for 2-3 more years at least

Originally Posted By: AV6NHBP6SPD
any problems going from synthetic to non synthetic? id rather get synthetic and change it every 5k for piece of mind since im gona keep car for 2-3 more years at least
What kind of peace of mind will syn give you? I have seen hondas last 250,000 + miles with ease on jiffylube oil changes

You shouldn't have any problems switching and QS or any other name brand dino can handle 5k easy. But if spending more money on more frequent oil changes isn't an issue then stick with syn if it puts you at ease.

What kind of driving does your car see?
I'm guessing mostly highway with your mileage.

i dont know, synthetic just got stuck with me that its better or something but aperently not in my type engine couse aperently it thins out more then normal oil at higher rpms

driving is mostly highway, 15 miles to and from work with not many lights, right now im driving like grandma to see what i can reach with fuel economy shifting at around 2200-2500RPM. usualy i do spirited driving and shifting at around 3500-4000 and it sees redline of 6700k pretty often

I used both dino and syn in '04 Honda S2000, the OCI is 6mo with dino and 12mo with syn. Both dino and syn was bought when it was on sale and/or with rebate. Honda engines are very easy on oil even with high rev engines such as the one in S2000.

For oil filter, I only use Honda PCX-004 made by Toyo Roki.

ill go little safer with 5W30, little thiker so it will be good for engine i guess. only reason honda switched to 20 is to boost gas milage raitings as you guys know. so im gona be back to 5w30

ill get either PP or their new PUU, depends on price
what about filters? K&N or mobile one or purolator pureone?

Last edited:
I've never been back there, but doesn't it get cold in Philly in the winter? If so, I wouldn't say thicker is good for your engine. And all 3 filters you listed are good; I'd go with the Purolator.

49.gif

ill go little safer with 5W30, little thiker so it will be good for engine i guess. only reason honda switched to 20 is to boost gas milage raitings as you guys know. so im gona be back to 5w30

ill get either PP or their new PUU, depends on price
what about filters? K&N or mobile one or purolator pureone?

The reason is a given but that doesnt mean its substandard. Ford and Honda really did their homework when they came up with the specs for 5W20. As a general rule 5W20 will be better constructed and have less shear than a 5W30. Its more than possible it will reduce wear as well with faster flow to the top-end during startup. Whether 30 weight would have any benefit would depend on the oil sump temperatures you see.

Its kind of like modern EFI. It was designed for emissions but I doubt power and mpg would be where they are without it.

ok was at advance autoparts.
pureone filter traps 13grams of dirt
bosch distance plus traps 29grams and has synthetic blend media (costs twice as much)

id say its worth it, any objections?

and whats up with castrol edge? is it any good?

Back in March, AAP had 5 Qts of Edge along with the Distance Plus filter for $29.99. That was a pretty good deal. Maybe they will have it again soon.

I'd hope your engine isn't dirty enough to need the capacity of the Bosch...
grin2.gif
The PureONE is a great filter for the money. Castrol Edge is a very good oil. That combined with the PureONE will go at least 7,500 miles with ease, if put on in a reasonable amount of time.

^^not sure if i would go that high with oil changes, previouse UO reports recomended no more then 7K even with AMSOIL

any OTC oil filters use synthetic filter media like AMSOIL?

If your Honda can't make it that long on Amsoil I would say either you've got an Accord that has been wiggered out, or it has major mechanical problems. I see those Accords that run 5W20 dino oil for 10K in city driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back