Oscillating Tools.

I have had a cheap corded Canadian tire Oscillating Tool for some years, it has been a love hate relationship. Some jobs it has been invaluable,
But the blades are expensive, don't last long, the tool gets very hot at the transmission and generally was not nice to use :-(
Yesterday it burnt out at the transmission. So now the decision. Do I replace it with another cheap tool (sub $100) or get better and hope to actually like it ?
Feelings on Oscillating Tools please.

We have a pair of Milwaukee M18 Fuels at work. They get used and abused but still work after a few years.

I have the horror freight buzz tool it works great. It takes a beating and keeps buzzing.

I don't fully understand the blade cost complaint. I've only got the M12 brushed but it has the adapter to basically accept any manufacturer of blade.

It seems I primarily use it to modify plastic hard cases like fitting my custom turned 'n knurled handle (foreground) into this HF set. However it's also been useful for cutting nails to remove "nailer" electrical boxes during home remodels...
FB_IMG_1648955891403.jpg

have the Harbor Freight one, actually have two of them, one at work which i used a lot and one at home, both are about 3 years old and work fine

have the Harbor Freight one, actually have two of them, one at work which i used a lot and one at home, both are about 3 years old and work fine
They’re great, do you have the variable speed one? I heard the non variable speed tool is better mine is the variable I picked it up for around $10 maybe 5-6 yrs ago. I use it for so many uses.. it made cutting out baseboard trim for electric heaters such a breeze. I felt like a skilled surgeon 😷

I have the variable DeWalt 20V Max. That thing is GREAT. I have used it for cutting straight into oak flooring to removing grout. Multiple times.

Blades are cheap on Amazon.

Easily within my top 2-3 tools.

Last edited:
I’m an early adopter of the multi tool. Got a Porter Cable in about 2010. Burned it right out. Disappointed. I’ve always liked Porter Cable, and still have some 30+ old Porter Cable routers in service. Great tools.

Replaced the PC multi tool with an 18v Makita. It works great. Has lasted over a decade. Plunge cuts into oak flooring are no problem.

I really like the freedom that cordless offers, but it’s a much higher price than tools with a cord.

I’m an early adopter of the multi tool. Got a Porter Cable in about 2010. Burned it right out. Disappointed. I’ve always liked Porter Cable, and still have some 30+ old Porter Cable routers in service. Great tools.
The older porter cable stuff was much better I have a newer porter cable hammer drill I can tell it’s not as beefy as the older stuff. One of the scariest tools I ever used was my fathers old corded Milwaukee drill. I was drilling a hole it locked up and lifted me right off my feet at 160lbs.

Replaced the PC multi tool with an 18v Makita. It works great. Has lasted over a decade. Plunge cuts into oak flooring are no problem.

I really like the freedom that cordless offers, but it’s a much higher price than tools with a cord.
The really early adopters were running Feins in the early '00s when Fein was basically the only game in town.....at a cost of $200+ even back then. All my carpentry friends just called 'em "Feins" like Kleenex because there was nothing else :D

But I hear what you're saying!! As a metal-only guy I was slow to adopt OMT's but I've learned they have a few uses, even for me...

I have liked the Ridgid Jobmax line. Have all the accessory heads except one they made and both 12 v and the 18 v versions. Not just the oscillating head, but so many other kinds. Have the lifetime warranty with registration. Which does work, I have used it.

Thanks guys, after watching the PF video I am leaning toward the Ridgid (bare tool) cordless as I already use Ridgid 18v tools.
It seems the cheap tool I had been using had a low degree of oscillation, which likely resulted in its poor performance.

An oscillating tool and a Dremel are the only 2 cordless tools I am lacking and haven’t found an excuse to buy either……….yet. 😎😎 A chopsaw and a sawzall are my 2 latest acquisitions and both have changed my life. I wish I had either of them before I had a circular saw…..

For me a Dremel (type) tool and the oscillating tool are about the least used power tools I have. I only bought each of them because at the time they were too inexpensive to resist.
I have since found they do have their uses, but they are not an essential part of my tool kit. That has been my dilemma.
Perhaps a better cordless tool would be more useful and earn it's keep better than it' cheap basic predecessor?

I have the Makita 12v, I have no frame of reference for if it's better or worse than others, but it's extremely handy. There are some jobs it's perfect and nearly indispensable for, others that something else might be better for but it'll handle in a pinch. Certainly worth a spot in your garage.

Now if you want to talk about surprisingly awesome and useful, can I tell you about my 12v Makita circular saw... 😁

Back