Ordered a 2017 Subaru Forester 6M

Status
Not open for further replies.
JTK, IIRC a problem with your MT Crosstrek was the top gear was too short for highway cruising.
Has Subaru fixed this with the 6-speed manual transmissions?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
JTK, IIRC a problem with your MT Crosstrek was the top gear was too short for highway cruising.
Has Subaru fixed this with the 6-speed manual transmissions?

That certainly was one of the issues with it. Very noticeable engine revs at highway speeds.

The 2015 forester is around 3000rpm at 75mph.. quite normal for a 4 banger with bad aerodynamics.

Its definitely not a "highway cruiser" with a v8 and 2000rpm@70mph but not a big issue. You lose way more mpg from aerodynamics than the rpms.

This is bitog though where everything subaru is heavily bashed.

Originally Posted By: Rand
The 2015 forester is around 3000rpm at 75mph.. quite normal for a 4 banger with bad aerodynamics.

My 3.0 I6 runs about the same rpm in top gear.

Its definitely not a "highway cruiser" with a v8 and 2000rpm@70mph but not a big issue. You lose way more mpg from aerodynamics than the rpms.

This is bitog though where everything subaru is heavily bashed.

Yeah, pretty normal for all 4-cylinder cars with MT. My Civic is just about the same. When Civic went from 5 ot 6 speed MT, the final ratio stayed about the same. I'm not sure why they don't put a taller gear at the top, I guess they probably think customers would find the more frequently needed downshifts annoying, plus I suppose it would mean a little more clutch wear. But with all the mandates for higher fuel economy this would seem to be pretty low hanging fruit.

I realize this kind of thing is subjective, but I agree with dlayman on all points, both about why the top gear on a 6-speed manual should be as tall as on the same vehicle with an automatic, and possible reasons why manufacturers don't bother to do this. But whatever their reason, I would still want the top gear on a 6-speed manual to be as tall as the automatic.

I don't require a v8 for highway cruising, there are many popular midsize vehicles with four cylinder engines that cruise quietly at 75 MPH with the engine running below 2,500 RPM.

Our CVT Forester doesn't get much over 2,000rpm at the same speed on a flat road. I guess they'd probably need an 8-speed manual to do that.

Originally Posted By: emg

Our CVT Forester doesn't get much over 2,000rpm at the same speed on a flat road. I guess they'd probably need an 8-speed manual to do that.

The 6-speed can be geared to do that just fine, but then you're down-shifting frequently or never using top gear. The computer and CVT, or any other automatic, will shift much more often than you can get the average driver to do.

Originally Posted By: JTK
JosephH1, I don't blame you there, but I believe if you poke around, you won't find this type of CVT issue, even with Subaru's first generation of them that started coming out in 2009, with the 2010 model year Legacy and Outback. Your commute sounds like mine, except I'm going from East Aurora to the city of Niagara Falls NY.

Hate to sound like a broken record on this Subaru manual transmission thing, but I hope you folks that special ordered your 6spd manuals have actually driven one for a decent test drive. I did test drive my 2014 XV Crosstrek 5spd, but grew to loathe that 5spd after a few months with it.

I was born and raised in Niagara Falls and now live in Lewiston. My girlfriend lives in East Aurora! We definitely travel the same roads!

Somehow I've made it my whole life (over 50 years) without ever riding in or driving a Subaru. I'm car shopping, I suppose I should take a look but I truthfully don't know where the local dealers are....apparently they don't have much of a presence in Cincinnati.

I've owned all sorts of oddball stuff, and driven other oddballs that belonged to other people, but I missed Suzuki, Subaru and Mitsubishi along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back