Ordered a 2017 Subaru Forester 6M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ryan, you did well getting $2000 off sticker. You'd have to be into a Premium with more options to achieve that in my area. The mats, dimming mirror, bumper protector, cargo cover, mat and splash guards all come port/distributor installed for my region as well. Tough to get out of them unless you special order or negotiate them for "free". My base model 2016 with the above add-ons, CVT and aluminum wheel package cost me ~$23200 plus TTL. The most I ever paid for a vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
I averaged 26-27 in my 2013. I attribute much of that to the poor final drive ratio. They've made many improvements.

The Forester is very boxy, so a lot depends on the speed and wind. I've seen the trip computer in our 2015 CVT Forester report 55 (Canadian) mpg on a flat road on a windless day at 40mph, and 30mpg at 70mph on the highway with a strong headwind.

Around town, though, it uses about as much fuel as our Civic. Which is pretty good when it has a bigger engine and AWD.

Our EJ with "VTEC" would dip to 26-27 over 75MPH. I think the VTEC was engaging and the engine was adding enrichment due to load at higher grusing RPM. Under 70MPH mileage went back up to 30+. Could get 34 around town short shifting as the 1 intake VTEC economy operation would run well at 1200-1500 rpm. The new six speed MT is a nice trans. You get a bit more overdrive on the highway than the 5.

Still not super plused about seating position. But the lowered cowl helps visibility immensely.

In contrast My Nissan is Uber comfortable, the Subaru has a much beefier front suspension and lower control arm locating. The new Nissan rogues are now Renaults. In fact the ones ive seen in dealer are made by Samsung in Korea! My Japanese car has better body integrity, torsional rigidity, higher hz than the new rogue.

The Mitsu Outlander is worth checking out if you need MORE room - If youthink they'll be around in 3-5 years!

With my last 3 "PZEV" Subarus, first being the 2012 EJ253, then FB20 and currently FB25, you'll notice an instant and consistent MPG drop from the dash readouts in ambient temperatures below about 50F. Not huge, but ~2mpg lower. I have also seen what ARCO described for speeds ~75mpg+. Quite a drop as you'd expect.

Last edited:
I was thinking about a Mitsubishi Outlander Sport because of the manual trans availability (and price!) but it's much smaller. Forester should be perfect for the family but I'm getting antsy. Ready to have it in the driveway hahaha

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

I also tend to believe that it's the dealerships that don't want to order manuals, not that people don't want them...

The people that want them are in a distinct minority.

Congrats on getting the manual trans. I drove an Outback with the CVT and it was probably one of the worst cars I've ever driven. Complete trash.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Congrats on getting the manual trans. I drove an Outback with the CVT and it was probably one of the worst cars I've ever driven. Complete trash.

Then I can only assume you have driven a early 2000s MR2 as your only automobile experience.

An Outback and that CVT is the only "CVT" that justifies the existence of the CVT. It is brilliant. I would rather have that CVT than a traditional automatic or DCT.

Sure, the 2.5 is slow. But with an Outback, you are not normally doing track days bro. Drive the Outback on a mountain with some decent snow and then you will go "I get it". If you have winter tires, you will be screaming that you are the driving winter god.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Then I can only assume you have driven a early 2000s MR2 as your only automobile experience.

An Outback and that CVT is the only "CVT" that justifies the existence of the CVT. It is brilliant. I would rather have that CVT than a traditional automatic or DCT.

Sure, the 2.5 is slow. But with an Outback, you are not normally doing track days bro. Drive the Outback on a mountain with some decent snow and then you will go "I get it". If you have winter tires, you will be screaming that you are the driving winter god.

My experience in a CVT Forester is that its great once under way, works like a CVT should, but it had a large pause when getting moving from a stop or a rolling stop. Don't know what's going on in the trans but its annoying for that reason.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Nope, CVT is awful all around. Sorry. Stop trying to justify your $ 30,000 station wagon purchase.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

I also tend to believe that it's the dealerships that don't want to order manuals, not that people don't want them...

The people that want them are in a distinct minority.

On top of being a minority, they tend not to buy that often. And: "Oh, I want no options, manual transmission, and I'll fight for every last dollar on the transaction 'cuz I won't overpay." Lots of incentive right there for a dealership to load up on vehicles they won't make money on. Too many other vastly more profitable sales to be had.

Wait until the 10-12plus speed transmissions come out for you CVT haters. Those things are going to be very annoying.

Nice car, congrats! Great you could order the manual. I wanted a Honda Element with a manual but even though they were building them in Ohio my dealer could not order one. Honda decides what car goes where. No way possible for them to build me the car I wanted. Best they could do was say, "there is one going to Boston in a week, do you want to pay to have us ship it from Boston to New Mexico for an extra $1600"!

I didn't buy an Element!

Last edited:
FutureDoc said:
[quote=oilpsi2high
Nope, CVT is awful all around. Sorry. Stop trying to justify your $ 30,000 station wagon purchase.

Says you. Best "automatic" I've ever driven. Stop talking down to people who disagree with you, it makes you look like a child trying to debate with an adult.

The Forester I test drove was a 2017 with the CVT because no manuals in stock anywhere. It was the best CVT I've experienced. I'm excited to have the manual version on its way though.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
FutureDoc said:
[quote=oilpsi2high

Says you. Best "automatic" I've ever driven. Stop talking down to people who disagree with you, it makes you look like a child trying to debate with an adult.

The CVT in the FozXT is definitely the best CVT I've experienced; especially in S# mode. Light years beyond the one in the Dodge Caliber. The CVT in the Mitsubishi Outlander seemed well executed too...

You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Originally Posted By: ryanschillinger
The Forester I test drove was a 2017 with the CVT because no manuals in stock anywhere. It was the best CVT I've experienced. I'm excited to have the manual version on its way though.

It's the same with most Subaru dealerships. When I bought my 2014 XV Crosstrek, it was the only one not sold because it was a 5spd. I bought it because it got me (early) out of my Subaru Legacy lease I wanted out of at the time. Big mistake because it was an awful transmission all-around for this particular vehicle and the whole reason I'm in a CVT Forester today. OTOH, I have heard that the 6spd manual in the Forester is a much nicer manual to drive. I certainly hope so!

In regards to the CVT bashing. We can't get through a thread without it. Funny too, because the bashers have never owned one or put any real miles on them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back