Orange silicone o-rings to seal crankshaft sensor?

My 13yo Suzuki alto had its crankshaft sensor weeping a bit of oil around it. Mechanic inspected and properly deduced the o-rings are shot and replaced it with Orange silicone o-rings. Is that better than the black original o-rings it originally had?

I've read that i should replace it with viton o-rings for excellent oil resistance but the mechanic only had orange silicone o-rings so he proceeded to use that. Silicone rubber o-rings do not have oil resistance as one of its strengths so I am just worried that this solution may or may not last.

Silicone maintains its pliability under heat a lot better than the rubber variants like Nitrile. If you ever cut open oil filters, that becomes readily apparent.

Silicone maintains its pliability under heat a lot better than the rubber variants like Nitrile. If you ever cut open oil filters, that becomes readily apparent.
Oil filters are changed frequently enough so I haven't seen an example of a silicone adbv break down from being submerged in oil. I don't doubt its high temperature resistance--just breakdown from being exposed to chemicals like oil (taking to account fuel dilution as well).

Plain silicone is not compatible with engine oil. Fluorosilicone is, but is very expensive. If you are not sure, replace that o-ring. Viton is a good choice and is economical for the performance.

Plain silicone is not compatible with engine oil. Fluorosilicone is, but is very expensive. If you are not sure, replace that o-ring. Viton is a good choice and is economical for the performance.
It stated on the tool box it came from that its VMQ and not FVMQ which is fluorosilicone. I would prefer Viton but its what the mechanic had and its currently installed on the sensor (had the camshaft sensor o-rings replaced too as its the same size and also hard and brittle). Currently the hole around the sensor is bone dry which seems to indicate that its producing a good seal. I'm just not sure how long it would take for it to weep again.

I'd say if it is easy to get to, let it ride and replace it when it starts leaking again. If it is the proper size, it isn't likely to just blow out and spray oil all over the place, it will likely just start weeping.

In the meantime, find out what size they are and order some up. Looking online it doesn't look like it is in a terrible spot. One bolt and you can replace it pretty easy from the looks of it.

--Edit--

I could be wrong, I'm seeing a mention of pulling the trans to get the sensor out?

Doing some research because I'm curious, VMQ has so-so compatibility with motor oil, as in it will swell a little bit. However, gasoline will kill it.

Like ctechbob, I'd think about a replacement when convenient, but wouldn't panic. It'll work for a while.

Back