Optilube xpd compared to Redline 85+

How does Redline 85+ stack up against Optilube xpd in terms of lubricity and dealing with moisture. Two things I need for my 6.7.
I've used Redline for two decades atleast. I have not seen any new articles on how much lubricity it adds etc. Optilube looks to drop the fuel related wear scar down to 250 um when max dose is used....impressive. Redline has no data in existence for that. The newest article is what, 2012????

What's the measurement of lubricity and where is it reported? Without that how would you compare? Is there an ASTM test for measuring the lubricity of these products?

Same with "dealing with moisture", what ASTM test is that?

This is what I saw, I did not get a confirmed test method through email, only that maximum dose is required to reach that level of lubricity. He did say, B5 was used. I'm sorry, I thought it uploaded. This is from their website.

Screenshot_20240623_223537_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
I emailed Ted from Phillips 66 months ago and have not received any response to my question about the lubricity on the Redline 85 Plus. Follow up emails have been ignored. I'm afraid P66 is going to ride Redline into the dirt and start selling it in Walmart.

I emailed Ted from Phillips 66 months ago and have not received any response to my question about the lubricity on the Redline 85 Plus. Follow up emails have been ignored. I'm afraid P66 is going to ride Redline into the dirt and start selling it in Walmart.
You won’t get a reply. This is not a test or meaningful property for motor oils or motor oil additives.

I figured I would not get a response from them based on the size of the company and the level of little care big corporations have with individual consumer questions. Being a diesel fuel additive and the fact that there are so many CP4 IPs on light duty diesels, they could test and use their numbers as a selling point.

I apologize, I totally messed up my responses and missed this is a fuel additive. Yes lubricity is a valid parameter for diesel fuel.

Again sorry about that.

This is what I saw, I did not get a confirmed test method through email, only that maximum dose is required to reach that level of lubricity. He did say, B5 was used. I'm sorry, I thought it uploaded. This is from their website.

View attachment 226656
I wanted to clarify this post.
These tests were done using the Standard Dose of each additive, and it was NOT B5. It was just a normal #2 (Summer) pump fuel from a local Utah Fuel station. The base fuel tested several times at an average of 458.5.

That being said, I have tested the other product in question. It is one of the higher of our competitors in the 3 left columns on this graph.

Opti-Lube

1400x1400 (4).jpeg

Interesting,
I'm good with it either way. I also called and spoke with Shane and he was very informative and personable on a different set of questions.
I'm more convinced to use Optilube at 50/50 xpd /XL.

Last edited:
You won’t get a reply. This is not a test or meaningful property for motor oils or motor oil additives.
I got a call this morning from Ted at P66.
He said it is being done and should be soon.
A company that responds is rare anymore, props to them.

Back