Opinons Toyota Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well after looking at Sedans/CUV from Honda, VW, and Mazda I think I've settled on the Camry Hybrid or RAV4 Hybrid.

Having been a German car owner for over a decade I'm interested in learning other peoples experiences when moving to a hybrid.

TIA...

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Many people don't know it but Toyota has a Corolla Hybrid now. I'm guessing you want something bigger.

Ya. Aging parents make the back seat a little cramped.

Love the RAV4 hybrid. Great fuel economy (40mpg promised) and it still uses the NIMH battery pack so the packs should be affordable.

The original pack on my 2011 Prius is still doing fine at 190K (minimal signs of aging). The hybrid system has been flawless but the engine itself has given me issues.

Camry & 2019 RAV4 hybrids are very good. I do think the Accord Hybrid beats the Camry slightly, mainly for handling and their clever-er use of series-parallel mode (sans planetary gearset).
The RAV4 is different animal, being AWD & a small station wagon ... er, excuse me Marketing Police... I meant "CUV".

2019 RAV4 Hybrid All the Way. Accept no substitutes. Get the gun metal gray body w/ black roof. One awesome SUV !!!!!

Many people don't know it but Toyota has a Corolla Hybrid now. ...
... just a disguised Prius with less space and old-timey styling.

I own a 2012 Prius V bought new that now has over 81,000 miles. It was my first hybrid vehicle after owning a Forester for almost ten years.
The Prius V has been problem free, but has had two software recalls. Other than routine service, it has had no other mechanical issues so far.
The biggest change going from the Forester to the Prius V was learning to allow for the weak acceleration in certain situations such as climbing up a steep or long hill, passing vehicles when merging or on highways, or from a complete stop. With the Prius V, the engine makes a noticeable drone sound when attempting to accelerate quickly. I do not know if that would be the case with a new hybrid Camry or new hybrid RAV4. I am pleased with the car and intend to keep it for the long term. It has been as much a work horse for me as the Forester was.
As an aside, a recent Consumer Reports issue tested the new hybrid RAV4 and liked it very much. It actually preferred the hybrid model to the gasoline engine only RAV4.
I would suggest test driving both the hybrid Camry and hybrid RAV4 before buying since there are likely to be differences in handling and comfort. If they perform in line with their gas engine counterparts, they should both be quite reliable.

Originally Posted by CR94
Many people don't know it but Toyota has a Corolla Hybrid now. ...

You say that like it's a bad thing...

RAV4 is pretty nice, but more expensive than a Camry hybrid. The XSE RAV4 is around $35K list , the LE Camry hybrid w sunroof package (li-ion batteries) is under $30K. The Camry has more passenger room too, and gets around 10 MPG better. I'd lean toward the Camry since you don't usually need AWD in Atlanta unless you get another snowmageddon.

Toyota is the king of the hybrids. Been doing it forever.
For a little more you can get a Lexus.
I just helped my sister and BIL get a nice RX450h for high $40's. $55K out the door in high tax CA. $6K discount + $2K Lexus money.

You can't go wrong with a Toyota hybrid; that's my experience.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Originally Posted by CR94
... Toyota has a Corolla Hybrid now. ...
You say that like it's a bad thing...
Having less---and less versatile---space is definitely a disadvantage in my book. As far as I know, the drivetrain, hybrid system, fuel consumption, etc. are similar to Prius, with all its pros and cons.

A friend has the new Camry hybrid. He likes it a lot. The mpg on the Camry hybrid is supposedly very good for it's size. I drive alot of new cars at my job and while I have never driven the hybrid Camry I have driven the non hybrid and I am definitely Impressed by how quality the car feels vs other makes or models

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Well after looking at Sedans/CUV from Honda, VW, and Mazda I think I've settled on the Camry Hybrid or RAV4 Hybrid.

Having been a German car owner for over a decade I'm interested in learning other peoples experiences when moving to a hybrid.

TIA...

Wait you getting this in addition to 435i?

Toyota has the most experience and volume on hybrid, and the 2nd gen Prius was the most reliable car in the world, that speaks for something.

3rd gen has some head gasket issues (likely due to cooled EGR clog, result in running more lean than ECU expect, so knock, head gasket, and bent rod). Haven't heard about Camry hybrid having the same problem yet.

Rav4 is slightly bigger than a Prius V, so if you don't mind used, Prius V hybrid may be a good deal now with also 40mpg.

Honda's hybrid really depends, CRZ is bad, Civic is bad, Accord is good. However the chances of not getting new battery when the car is old is higher. You can count on there will always be Prius battery when they are old.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

TIA...

Wait you getting this in addition to 435i?

Regrettably I am selling the 435i. I don't get to drive it much outside of to/from work so it seems like it's such a waste. On top of that for the F-series cars BMW dropped the price of the M-Performance LSD to $500.
19.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back