Opinons Toyota Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by The Critic
Love the RAV4 hybrid. Great fuel economy (40mpg promised)

40mpg in a CUV? Yeepers. Makes me wonder why I keep driving a low mpg sedan.

Having a disabled elderly mother, my choice would be the RAV, the Camry is too low for her to get in and out of easily. Actually, if I lived near her I would look at the Sienna with the Auto Access Seat, what a marvelous option for mobility impaired people! The price is even reasonable IMO, about $45k for the XLE Mobility.
Too bad that Toyota is not putting a Hybrid drive train in the Sienna. There are rumors that this option is in the works for the 2021 redesign.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by edyvw
Well after looking at Sedans/CUV from Honda, VW, and Mazda I think I've settled on the Camry Hybrid or RAV4 Hybrid.

Having been a German car owner for over a decade I'm interested in learning other peoples experiences when moving to a hybrid.

TIA...

Wait you getting this in addition to 435i?

Regrettably I am selling the 435i. I don't get to drive it much outside of to/from work so it seems like it's such a waste. On top of that for the F-series cars BMW dropped the price of the M-Performance LSD to $500.
19.gif

SO what you saying is you gonna get anothe BMW with M-performance LSD?
smile.gif

Well after looking at Sedans/CUV from Honda, VW, and Mazda I think I've settled on the Camry Hybrid or RAV4 Hybrid.

Having been a German car owner for over a decade I'm interested in learning other peoples experiences when moving to a hybrid.

TIA...

Wait you getting this in addition to 435i?

Regrettably I am selling the 435i. I don't get to drive it much outside of to/from work so it seems like it's such a waste. On top of that for the F-series cars BMW dropped the price of the M-Performance LSD to $500.
19.gif

SO what you saying is you gonna get anothe BMW with M-performance LSD?
smile.gif

lol. I meant to say ,"Of all things on top of that BMW dropped the price on the M-LSD to $500".

Unfortunately I'm not much of a fan of the current F30 (340i) so no cheap M-LSD for me. Besides I don't see the point of a LSD in a hwy commuter and my days of piloting on a road trip are numbered. After 20 yrs of German car ownership perhaps in the end this will become a therapeutic experience.

In case you didn't know the new 3-series car (G20) comes with a LSD. It's an interesting car, sure the blind oncoming traffic with its ridiculously large-shiny kidney grill

lol. I meant to say ,"Of all things on top of that BMW dropped the price on the M-LSD to $500".

Unfortunately I'm not much of a fan of the current F30 (340i) so no cheap M-LSD for me. Besides I don't see the point of a LSD in a hwy commuter and my days of piloting on a road trip are numbered. After 20 yrs of German car ownership perhaps in the end this will become a therapeutic experience.

In case you didn't know the new 3-series car (G20) comes with a LSD. It's an interesting car, sure the blind oncoming traffic with its ridiculously large-shiny kidney grill

I am no fan of F30 too.
Will go after E90 with N55 next year, or Audi S4.
G20? nah, with possibly third kid on the way, that can happen only as used.
I would personally go with Highlander hybrid if you can swing it. They will have incentives on 2019 as 2020 model is coming out.

I also have been looking for a new car to purchase sometime this year. Kind of narrowed it down to a outback, forester or rav4. So before I start test driving etc, I was able to talk my wife into visiting the local dealership on a Sunday afternoon when there are no sales people to bug you. This would be her car to drive. Outback and forester no problem she felt comfortable in both of them. As soon as we got in the Rav4 she said no way. She's about 5'2 and no matter where she adjusted the seat up or down, backwards or forward she said it wouldn't work. The ipad thing or whatever you call it was right in her line of site and the hood was to high she was having problems seeing out the front. She has driven full size conversion vans, ford explorer etc and had no problems driving them. So just saying if there is someone else in the household you may want to have them come along for any test rides. Otherwise I love the look of the rav4 and was seriously thinking of the hybrid. But I need to keep mom happy.

Originally Posted by kwijibo
and the hood was to high she was having problems seeing out the front.
I noticed that too. The '19 RAV4 hood is very chunky & flat, for that "butch, tough look" I suppose, merely for marketing effect.

For visibility, I prefer my Ford C-Max Hybrid with a more aerodynamic sloping hood. I notice the the same high-hood problem in my '18 Equinox as well.

[Linked Image]

Which also looks like this:

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by kwijibo
and the hood was to high she was having problems seeing out the front.
I noticed that too. The '19 RAV4 hood is very chunky & flat, for that "butch, tough look" I suppose, merely for marketing effect.

For visibility, I prefer my Ford C-Max Hybrid with a more aerodynamic sloping hood. I notice the the same high-hood problem in my '18 Equinox as well.

[Linked Image]

Which also looks like this:

[Linked Image]

LOL so hideous.

Frankly I'm surprised vehicles like that pass the pedestrian safety tests. You'd think with a tall flat Mack truck type grill it would fail those tests horribly.

Agreed on the G20, the grill is crazy, I'm not really a fan. I definitely prefer my E90 to the F30, though my friend has a 2015 F30 335i and it is a pretty nice car. The steering feel and quality of materials aren't as good in my opinion, but still pretty good.

As for Toyotas I think a hybrid Camry would be a nice car. I'd trust Toyota's hybrid system over anyone else's.

Having been a German car owner for over a decade ..
You could be disappointed with Toyota's driving feel, handling, steering, etc., if you are spoiled by BMWs. Seriously, as long as you are not going to be dissatisfied with your new Toyota RAV4 or Camry's dynamics, you're good to get one.

Try the Honda Accord Hybrid, a much better handling suspension and steering feedback you're used to. I also like their particular lack of planetary gearsets, a more elegant solution in some respects.
Not that I don't like ye old planetary gearset hybrid designs, like my C-Max, but the Honda's is maybe a tad better.
Speaking of the C-Max, the reason I got that one instead of a PriusV, was handling-steering with it's Ford Focus control blade rear suspension and better dynamics, fun to drive actually. Toyotas have rarely delivered dynamics well.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Having been a German car owner for over a decade ..
You could be disappointed with Toyota's driving feel, handling, steering, etc., if you are spoiled by BMWs. Seriously, as long as you are not going to be dissatisfied with your new Toyota RAV4 or Camry's dynamics, you're good to get one.

Try the Honda Accord Hybrid, a much better handling suspension and steering feedback you're used to. I also like their particular lack of planetary gearsets, a more elegant solution in some respects.
Not that I don't like ye old planetary gearset hybrid designs, like my C-Max, but the Honda's is maybe a tad better.
Speaking of the C-Max, the reason I got that one instead of a PriusV, was handling-steering with it's Ford Focus control blade rear suspension and better dynamics, fun to drive actually. Toyotas have rarely delivered dynamics well.

Pretty much what I wrote in my 6 mo/10K review of my Accord Hybrid, with which you took exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back