Opinions, please...

Status
Not open for further replies.
1997 Chevy 1500 PU. Only 25K miles. 4.3L V6. Mint condition. This truck has been in storage for the past two years. Double dose of Stabil (per their instructions)in the tank. Mobil 1 10-30 and fresh oil filter before storage. Truck has been started and revved to 2000 RMPs, monthly for 20 minuits to reach operating temps.

Question: It will be soon be driven, all highway mileage, at Interstate speeds, 70 mile round trip daily, in the Texas heat. I am trying to decide between PP 10-30 and Valvoline Synpower 10-30. I will try to go at least 7500 OCI's... Your thoughts? Thanks.

Valvoline Synpower 10-30
thumbsup2.gif

Since you asked for opinions, here's mine. I'd put in the cheapest SM oil you can find. Then, run a good fuel system cleaner in each of the next couple tanks of gas. After that, change to either PP or SynPower. I wouldn't go over 7500 Miles w/o a UOA. Again, just my personal opinion.

PP is a hard to beat PCMO. Especially if that's the exact viscosity you desire. I use GC 0W-30 in things I want a thick 30 in, but if I needed a 10-11cst 30 weight, PP would be my first choice for synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Jaymus
PP is a hard to beat PCMO. Especially if that's the exact viscosity you desire. I use GC 0W-30 in things I want a thick 30 in, but if I needed a 10-11cst 30 weight, PP would be my first choice for synthetic.

+1

My philosophy, exactly.

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
Since you asked for opinions, here's mine. I'd put in the cheapest SM oil you can find. Then, run a good fuel system cleaner in each of the next couple tanks of gas. After that, change to either PP or SynPower. I wouldn't go over 7500 Miles w/o a UOA. Again, just my personal opinion.

+1
thumbsup2.gif

Yes. A good fuel injector cleaner, new fuel filter, coolant, and air filter is on the agenda very soon . FWIW, Stabil has really impressed me. With startings a month apart, the engine fires up immediately each time. While the Mobil 1 has very few "miles" (hours, actually), it looks pristine, with no fuel smell whatsoever. Going to drain thoroughly and install Napa Gold filter. Running this truck up and down I-10 will do wonders, too.

Add me to the +1 list. Either PP or VVLSP is a good choice.

Great advise. I happen to like PP better than Synpower, but that's just me. Either oil will serve you well.

OK, the consensus is PP. A fine oil without a doubt. Thats what I will use. I am curious about something though. Overall in this PMCO forum, Synpower seems to get little recognition. With that in mind, I noticed this:

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

Seems Synpower tied Amzoil for the best "4 ball" wear performance. Just asking, is there some other reason Synpower seems to be overlooked? Thanks for your replies.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
OK, the consensus is PP. A fine oil without a doubt. Thats what I will use. I am curious about something though. Overall in this PMCO forum, Synpower seems to get little recognition. With that in mind, I noticed this:

http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g1971/index.aspx

Seems Synpower tied Amzoil for the best "4 ball" wear performance. Just asking, is there some other reason Synpower seems to be overlooked? Thanks for your replies.

The masses on here tend to be partial for Pennzoil products, and rightfully so b/c Pennzoil's entire product line seems to be of great quality. However, that being said, I have seen nothing to indicate that SynPower is not an equally valid synthetic oil option. While you'll notice a lot of people lean towards PP, it's difficult to find anyone who has anything negative to say about PP or SynPower, both are quality oils to run in your vehicle. PP does tend to be priced slightly lower, but for the price of either one you are getting excellent protection for your vehicle. ...Also, I believe PP has more manufacturer approvals (though I'd need to double check that), but that doesn't necessarily mean SynPower wouldn't be able to pass the tests necessary for the same approvals.

As for the four ball wear test. I'm not an expert, but I've read that although it's one test that is used in the API certification, by itself it's not a good indication of real world wear results within a vehicle. But again, I'm no expert on the matter

Originally Posted By: sicko

As for the four ball wear test. I'm not an expert, but I've read that although it's one test that is used in the API certification, by itself it's not a good indication of real world wear results within a vehicle. But again, I'm no expert on the matter

Not for engine oil it isn't. It is a test used for gear oils and greases.

Even if we agree that the sequence IVA test is principally a test for gear oils and greases, wouldn't the ability of a motor oil to "pass" or perform well in this test provide some additional protection against galling and shear, as Castrol and Valvoline seem to be claiming?

Originally Posted By: Gurney
... wouldn't the ability of a motor oil to "pass" or perform well in this test provide some additional protection against galling and shear,... ?

I agree with you. I readily admit I am no expert, but Amzoil themselves show Valvoline SuperSyn to have excellent results overall. I am surprized SuperSyn doesn't get better recognition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back