Opinions on GC in Honda Fit (5w20)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings GC gurus:
I have purchased an 07 Honda Fit, and I adore this car. It has treated me very well for the 4400 miles I've driven it, and the oil life meter is reaching 30%. I will be changing the oil at 15%, as indicated in the manual. I have some GC left over from my previous car (99 VW Jetta), and would like to know if GC is an acceptable replacement oil for the OE Honda semi-syn 5w20. I'm thinking that it isnt, mainly because GC is a "thick" 30 weight when warm, almost a 40 weight, and my car is supposed to run on a 20 weight.

Thoughts/comments? Thanks.

Save it for summer, that's what I do. Imo, grab some Pennzoil Platinum, Advance Auto has it buy one / get one free.

I believe this engine is also overseas in Europe and Asia, so they most likely designed it to take advantage of multiple viscosities. That being said, I don't see any harm in runing GC or any other wieght oil for that matter.

Why don't you run GC and get a UOA done to check on it. If you are not happy, you can always switch.

Read about the design of this new "L" series Honda engine. It is loaded with technical innovations. It's quite a story. They really went after makeing this engine efficient and still make it a good citizen, with the smog stuff. After reading this you might choose to stick with the 5w-20. As suggested above, the Motorcraft 5w-20 would be a good choice. You can get Motorcraft anywhere and sometimes on sale. It will perform at least as well as Mobil 1 5w-20 for less than half the cost. This new engine is a real marvel.

Read this and let us know what you think...

http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseries/

Quote:

Read about the design of this new "L" series Honda engine. It is loaded with technical innovations. It's quite a story. They really went after makeing this engine efficient and still make it a good citizen, with the smog stuff. After reading this you might choose to stick with the 5w-20. As suggested above, the Motorcraft 5w-20 would be a good choice. You can get Motorcraft anywhere and sometimes on sale. It will perform at least as well as Mobil 1 5w-20 for less than half the cost. This new engine is a real marvel.

Read this and let us know what you think...

http://asia.vtec.net/Series/FitJazz/lseries/

laugh.gif
I think the author of the article did not understand what the engineers told him. (For instance, the "thickness" dimension of the L-series engine is 118mm, and he reports that the engine dimension was .reduced by 118mm from the D-series engine. He makes similar errors with respect to the reduction of the included angle between the valves "enabling" a compact combustion zone for a higher compression ratio.)

My comment should not be regarded in any way as denigration of the Honda L-series engine, which is a fine engine. But the author of the article was clearly in over his head in trying to interpret what he learned from Honda engineers and to regurgitate it in layman's language.

In case you like GC, but afraid it's too "heavy" for your 07 Honda Fit, you may try "lighter" grades like BMW LL-01 FE 0W-30 / Castrol SLX LL01 FE 0W-30 or SLX LongLife II 0W-30. The latter may be still found in green.
grin.gif

approved.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back