Opinions on Dropping Land Line Phone Completely

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be the down side of not having a land line at all, just cell phone service?

One of my concerns is about 911 service.

Thanks.

I dropped my landline years ago. Go for it! All a landline is,is a waste of money,putting money in the phone co`s wallet instead of yours.

I got rid of mine about 10 years ago. Lots of company's will give you unlimited minutes for $35-$50 a month, so why bother with a land line.

How about the Magic Jack +?

No need to leave the computer on with the new one just connect it to your router.

You can also keep your old phone number if you wish.

My biggest excuse for keeping my land line is that I need it for reverse 911. I'm not in the habit of checking the weather forecast so when there's a big storm on the way threatening to raise the water in the bay above ground level that phone call with the recorded voice of the mayor is my first warning.

The real reason I keep it is because I don't want to carry a cell phone around when I'm home. Three loud cordless phones ringing at the same time will get my attention.

No use unless you got a family and need the central phone. The reverse 911 some people might really like having, but that depends where you are.

Where I am? Landline is totally useless.

Another thing to consider is that if you dial 911 on a land line dispachers can pinpoint your exact location. Only a few cities have this ability in cellular technology. My friend is a 911 dispatcher, and you wouldn't believe how many 911 calls come in on cell phones and the person has NO idea where they are.

If you have a strong, solid signal in your house, then it's really up to you. I live in the sticks where cell phone reception is spotty, especially if you're indoors. I really don't have a choice.

If you have young kids keep the landline. It never fails when you, your child, or a baby sitter need to call 911 and can't find your phone. Now if your young like me or older with no kids, I see no point to a landline.

Last edited:
I believe a "disconnected" line still has a dull dial tone and will dial 911. Ask your telco flat out if they do this!

3 plusses,
1) Having a physically connected land line gives you a phone in case of a power outage.
2) You can have extensions on a land line. A cell with extensions calls for Bluetooth or Wifi apparatus.
3) Has the ability for adding a fax machine.

Last edited:
Wish I could drop ours. Still need it for DSL and our burglar alarm/home monitoring system. I've checked options a couple times over the past several years, and any other substitute (like a cell phone hotspot for Internet and a radio or cell service for the alarm) cost just as much if not slightly more. Grrr...

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I dropped my landline years ago. Go for it! All a landline is,is a waste of money,putting money in the phone co`s wallet instead of yours.

Good thing the phone Co's have no connection to cellphones, Huh?

I dropped my landline a couple of years ago. I do however keep a MagicJack hooked up at all times, in case my cell phone drops it's signal, I have AT&T, nuff' said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back