Opinions on Carquest (Canada) transmission filter quality?

Anyone have any experience with Carquest (Canadian version) transmission filters? I asked who makes them and was told "probably Baldwin" but I wasn't able to find any info on that or on quality here or anywhere else.

Ford quoted me $115 for the filter and gasket whereas the Carquest kit is $21. How much confidence should I have that the Carquest version will be adequate? This is a high mileage 2005 Ranger and the service history is spotty. Trans is basically flawless when hot but is slightly cranky occasionally when it's cold (slow engagement, slow/harsh shifts on a rare occasion). I'd like to preserve it as long as possible - my main goal is to do no harm so I want to be sure the filter is at least decent. Thanks!

Who knows who made the car quest. Years ago I ordered a Hastings filter foe my 4L60E in my Trailblazer. A Chinese made Filtran was in the box. No issues 7 years, 100,000km and counting.

What I am getting at is for an application such as that, a basic functional filter would more than likely be just fine.

For my AS69RC in my 3500, the dealer wanted approx. 120$ for the Denso made filter. Maybe 50$ and I got an ATP unit that looked identical to the OEM one. Several thousand km and some heavy towing later, works just fine.

Get the carquest one and give it a try.

edit: I also should have added that I don't really have any experience with Carquest in general as I've only had access to one for the last 6 months. I don't have a good sense for their parts quality in general. I've read mixed reviews.

I probably should have said was "I just want to make sure it isn't likely to be so bad that it's worse than leaving what's on there on there." I haven't owned a vehicle with an auto trans for about 30 years so I don't have much hands-on experience with trans filters or their construction. I decided a while back to just go with OEM oil filters since there's hardly a price difference to the discount brands- but Ford wanting $60 for their filter and $60 for the gasket seems like highway robbery to me.

Last edited:
What's, "high mileage"?
I went with a Hastings TF140 filter and gasket kit for my '05 Ranger (5R55E).
Everyone calls transmission filters, "rock catchers", as they seem designed to filter only the coarsest of dirt.
I've read guesses that the micron rating of trannie filters is ,"100 microns". I have no idea but the filtering media seems really open.
You'll likely find nothing caught in the gauze.
Just for the record, I bet the micron rating is closer to 500 microns. The media would make a sexy blouse!

The included gasket fit perfectly and I tightened it by feel as I was a bit rushed. I freaked later when I realized I hadn't used a torque wrench.
It's been fine.
Some have said that the absence of pressure against the transmission pan gasket leaves overtightening as the thing to watch for.
If your pan gasket has small discs of metal on each side of each bolt hole, it's original.

As far as fluid selection goes, I used Mercon V from Walmart. I've read Mercon V is "overrated" and that fairly universal synthetic fluids will do fine.
All I can say is make your own mind up.
Me? I like synthetics just fine -Heaven knows I've used gallons of Valvoline Maxlife- but Mercon V is readily available and my transmission was shifting fine. I had just purchased it and wanted to see and smell the fluid frankly.....and install a pan with a drain plug.
If I move to Death Valley (said to be hot) I'll consider switching. My truck came with a transmission cooler which helped.

If you have a 2WD truck and want to utilize a 4WD pan (deeper) for cooling. I have mine for sale. I gave it to a neighbor who ended up not using it so you can have it for postage. In your case postage to Canada would be ? ? ? and likely take too much time.

What's, "high mileage"?
I went with a Hastings TF140 filter and gasket kit for my '05 Ranger (5R55E).
Everyone calls transmission filters, "rock catchers", as they seem designed to filter only the coarsest of dirt.
I've read guesses that the micron rating of trannie filters is ,"100 microns". I have no idea but the filtering media seems really open.
You'll likely find nothing caught in the gauze.
Just for the record, I bet the micron rating is closer to 500 microns. The media would make a sexy blouse!

The included gasket fit perfectly and I tightened it by feel as I was a bit rushed. I freaked later when I realized I hadn't used a torque wrench.
It's been fine.
Some have said that the absence of pressure against the transmission pan gasket leaves overtightening as the thing to watch for.
If your pan gasket has small discs of metal on each side of each bolt hole, it's original.

As far as fluid selection goes, I used Mercon V from Walmart. I've read Mercon V is "overrated" and that fairly universal synthetic fluids will do fine.
All I can say is make your own mind up.
Me? I like synthetics just fine -Heaven knows I've used gallons of Valvoline Maxlife- but Mercon V is readily available and my transmission was shifting fine. I had just purchased it and wanted to see and smell the fluid frankly.....and install a pan with a drain plug.
If I move to Death Valley (said to be hot) I'll consider switching. My truck came with a transmission cooler which helped.

If you have a 2WD truck and want to utilize a 4WD pan (deeper) for cooling. I have mine for sale. I gave it to a neighbor who ended up not using it so you can have it for postage. In your case postage to Canada would be ? ? ? and likely take too much time.
Hi Kira,

Thanks for the info and especially for the kind offer of the 4WD pan. In fact mine is a 2WD and I wouldn't mind upgrading it - just for curiosity's sake I'll take a look at postage and get back to you on that. Cheers!

In my case, "high mileage" is 230,000 miles. :) I have a record of a full trans service at 55,000 and nothing since then (which doesn't mean it wasn't done, but who knows?)

My main question re: filter quality is basically answered by the "rock catcher" nickname I guess. I've seen different filters with metal mesh or with some kind of fabric/foam material (not necessarily for this transmission, but in general) so I didn't know if there would be filters that _definitely_ offer better filtration in this application - or avoid common failures, such as how some oil filters bypass really easily - or whether they're all roughly the same and mainly to keep the chunks out. I guess it's the latter.

Unfortunately, it seems that in Canada we have a much poorer selection of parts than in the US as well as prices that run about 2x-3x. True story, same Ford dealership that quoted me $115 for the filter and gasket (which you can buy in the US for about 40 bucks), I asked them about Mercon V and they said they don't carry it- when they need it, they go buy it at the parts store next door! For the longest time, the only Mercon V I could find in town here was at Napa; I recently found another store that had some Valvoline on the shelf but in general it seems weirdly hard to find around here. Back when we could cross the border I used to buy my parts at the Ford dealership in Maine, but can't do that now for obvious reasons...

Thanks again for the advice!

I don't think you could ascertain postage prices for mailings starting here in the US except for maybe the USPS website.
It'd be easier and more accurate for me just to box it up and weigh it at the post office.

What you could do is ask around and see if Canada has import duties on a low value part.......I mean gift.
There'll be the regular customs sticker with a description of contents and declaration of value.

Every transmission filter I've ever cut open appears to have the same gauze filtering media but one.
The filter in a friend's Mitsubishi CVT is made of stainless steel mesh. I bought the replacement filter but sure didn't need it.
PM sent.

The filter should be fine for your use.
Where I live in the US and generally speaking, Carquest is viewed as a lower tier seller. NAPA is top tier. IMHO

I guess it depends on how much you "love" your pickup and your disposable income? I ain't normal as my "love"
for my vehicles surpasses my disposable income. For example, getting drum brakes for my newly acquired 2010
Civic. Emailed my friend at Acura dealership and told him to get me the drum brake pads and he emailed back saying
they were too expensive and that he would get me a different brand. Hmmm, I thought. I called him up and he
said the Honda drum pads were $64 a set and the could get another great pad for $22 a set. I got the Honda pads.
It must be "love" or "stupidity." LOL

I'm definitely not immune to overspending on my vehicles. I generally consider how critical the part is- or the part downstream it's protecting. This is why I've been a bit torn on how much thought to put into the trans filter deal. It seems the consensus is that it doesn't do much other than filter out the chunks, so normally I wouldn't worry too much about it. But then you read the horror stories about filter media collapsing and clogging the supply to the pump and starving it. I think at this point I'm going to base my decision as much on the quality of the gasket as the filter itself. I'll just have to run around and take a look at the actual parts in person... when it's not 100F outside ;)

Thanks to all for the input

In my opinion making a decent transmission filter isn't rocket science so I wound't worry about getting the absolute best (however you would define that) that money can buy. Many modern automatics don't even come with a filter because they don't contaminate the fluid that much. Also remember that Ford don't make transmission filters or gaskets, they just buy them from Fram, Hastings, Bosch, Fel-pro, etc and have them labelled & packaged differently and keep the profit.

I think the Carquest would be just fine. However if it causes you to lose sleep, it would be better to go with OEM or your local NAPA. I used NAPA filters for many years and never had any problems.

Back