Opinions on aftermarket seat covers....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm interested in buying some aftermarket seat covers. These would be for my Chevy Impala (and possibly a set for the wife's Dodge Charger).

I normally don't care for aftermarket seat covers but I really need something durable for the Impala since police duty belts tend to tear up civilian-style seat material pretty quickly. I want my interior to stay in good condition so the car is still a nice car when I pass it down to my daughter in five or six years. (My wife thinks she wants/needs seat covers for her Charger, but I think she's just on the buy-all-the-accessories-you-can-find-for-your-new-car bandwagon.)

I want something durable, but also something that looks and fits well, such that it doesn't give that cheesy aftermarket appearance. Hopefully it'll be hard to tell the seat covers are there.

Anyhow have any opinions or personal experience with aftermarket seat covers? Which brands are best? Which material works best?

Thanks in advance!

Nobody on here has an aftermarket seat cover they'd like to talk about?

Maybe I need to visit www.bobistheseatcoverguy.com or something.
wink.gif

Quote:

All I've ever seen look like POO!

Bob

I'm not so concerned about looking perfect, so long as they function properly.

Obviously, I want them to look halfway decent, but protecting the seats is the most important part!

I think the one-piece ones from Costco (sheepskin) for $30 are OK.

The two-piece one I got from Sam's Club, also sheepskin, isn't holding up too well.

Quote:

Don't by aftermarket if you want durability.

Hmmm....gee.....that doesn't leave me many options then, does it? If I don't go aftermarket, then what? Keep it factory?

Yeah, um, you see that's the problem. I don't want to destroy my FACTORY seats. Police gear - which I happen to wear for long 8 to 16 hour shifts on a regular basis in this vehicle - tends to tear up most seat fabrics. This is why I want aftermarket seat covers. That way, the factory seats are protected and only the aftermarket seat covers are destroyed.

I apologize in advance for being sarcastic in this post.

I had aftermarket seat covers for my car I used to share with my sister and they didn't fit properly. They bubbled out at where the back of the seat connected to the bottom of the seat and kept coming undone. It was just some cheaper brand from wal-mart. I've been thinking about getting another set, but a better brand for my Integra since the seat is starting to rip a bit where your body rubs against the seat when you get in.

There is a company on ebay that only does seat covers.

Shoot me a pm if you want the username, i forget it now but can look it up.

They do exact seat covers. We bought two sets and both fit like a glove, not some cheap walmart universals.

I think they were 35 bucks a set for grey cloth.

If you call them, they can do other materials.

That place has nice seat covers, and it's located right here in Houston, but it turns out they don't do covers for passenger cars. I called the guy and he told me they mainly just stick to trucks and SUVs.

The Wet Okole place has some awesome seat covers! In fact, I just ordered some sample swatches and I expect I'll be ordering my seat covers from them. Their prices are pretty high compared to some others, but their quality seems to easily justify the prices.

Hey Astrovic.

That guy does plenty of cars, just look at what they are selling on ebay.

The wet okole covers are nice as well, reminds me of a wetsuit material.

The cloth ones from the first place are fine quality. Looks like OEM quality in a late 90's ford.

My local upholstery shop said he can get replacement foam and factory match upholstery for a fraction of the cost Ford or Chevy will want. If you're having a problem with your 60/40 driver's seat sagging in your Impala, you can add extra springs (2" Century Spring part# C-171, from Ace Hardware or go to www.centuryspring.com). Just double up the springs and you'll do away with the backache caused by the lumbar support being in the wrong place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back