Opinions of 2002 Audi Allroad 2.7 twin turbo?

I've never owned a Audi but considered this car when it was new, so have a soft spot for it. I'm in the market for a winter vehicle, for any long-distance road trips (my 4x4s are not great for long distances) and an apparent well maintained one (owner claims 8.5/10 scale) with a recent timing belt service (I thought they used chains?) and recent air suspension service came up for sale for under $4000 locally. As I remember it, the car styling is gorgeous. I've always been fond of Audis. But I've never owned one because they are expensive new, and maybe just as expensive used... I'm interested but proceeding with extreme caution on this one folks!

So, give it to me straight, the good, the bad, and the ugly. Pursue her or run for Japan! I can get a decent 4Runner for $5k and there's a few nice ones in the $10k-15k range.

The turbos commonly fail and expensive to replace. At least the air suspension has been serviced, as that's another common expensive repair.

the gas mileage is abysmal.

my buddy had a 6 speed pushing 600awhp. cruises all day long at 150, ran away from e55 every time on a roll.

very cool cars but probably not for you

they say similar about my 2001 TT BUT i love it + being a 4 banger its easier to DIY as i do. i am i pa as well + love those + depending on your DIY + if you have a fair priced good independent is important depending on your $$$. with 4 snow tires it would go almost anywhere!!! like my TT 225Q over 40g new i could afford it at 18 thou, that allroad is a steal if its in good shape IMO + if repairs happen its less to loose, NO DI thats a plus IMO!!!

I wanted one back in 2010. I was strongly persuaded against the purchase by all my Audi friends and the VW Independent shop we all frequented.

Another one of those instances where it would be cheaper to buy a new car than to maintain the old piece of junk.

I mean, if you like it, can do all the work yourself, and don't have to rely on it, they're pretty sweet cars.

Like I said, it'd make a good third car.
Yes, if you're into that sort of thing and ok with spending more than the car is worth.

I'm not into old Audis, but we all have our own "quirks and features" as Doug DeMuro says.

The Audi 2.7T is infamous for the twin turbos failing, so if you're serious about one make sure the turbos aren't on the way out.

My only experience with Audi was the first gen A4 my son bought used about 20 years ago. When it needed a replacement power steering rack to the tune of $1,000, that told me the marque was too expensive to keep. Sold it for a small profit. If the used car market wasn't so bonkers, I'd like a 2018 A4 Allroad. Currently running $31-33,000 or about 2/3 of the original MSRP.

Last edited:
My uncle had a 2000 S4 Avant. I know people jokingly say their car spent more time in the shop than on the road, but I am fairly certain his actually did.

Back