Opening up 50-year old engine for the first time.

FCD

Yesterday i took the heads off my Capri's engine to take them to have hardened exhaust valve seats fitted, so i don't have to keep using a lead replacement additive all the time, the car is from ´75, but the original engine blew up on the Autobahn in Germany in 1991, this replacement engine from a ´72 Capri was fitted back then, had about 50k miles, now it's got about 160k miles, and will be 50 this November, this the first time at least to my knowledge it has had its heads off, i'm fairly happy about the overall condition, lots of carbon as expected, as before 2016 it used a lot of oil due to worn out valve stem seals, but the camshaft looks good, and the bores look pretty good too, to my eye.

Beheaded Essex V6 by Lauri Lind, en Flickr

This engine is a British 3.0 Ford Essex V6, not available in US Capris, as you can see one of the oddities of this engine is the Heron combustion chamber design, with flat cylinder heads, and bowl shaped pistons.

When I was stationed in GUAM back in the early 70's I drove a 69 Cortina, it was a rust bucket but it ran like a champ. :D

Oh, you’re one of those that takes up two spots….
Pretty sure the canopy columns are taking up part of that first spot.

Also very cool, nice and clean, as well as your daily! Both look very well taken care of, though I'd imagine they don't get the best fuel economy today lol. Someday I'd like to visit the Balearic Islands, or the Mediterranean in general.

Reactions: FCD
Look at that bore spacing!!! Years ago, I liked the idea of 2V heads designed like this, with the combustion chamber mostly in the piston. Unshrouding the valves for better flow. It is remarkable just how long mechanical things can last when properly maintained. My airplane is 52 years old. In some ways, we've built things that last longer than we do.

Thanks for the cool pics!

The Ford Capri was a highly desired car in Europe in the 1970s. There were waiting lists at new-car dealers there. Good to see one in decent shape still on the road, and thanks for the engine pics.

It's basically a V6 version of the Kent engine...there was a V4 version to, sometimes found in the Capri, more often in the Transit. The early V6 gave trouble in the MkIV Zephyr, where the radiator was lower than the engine. They also have the Ford pencil drive to the oil pump, and something I'd replace if you've gone this far.

What a clean Capri. My friend had one which was a 4 cylinder I believe. We called it the duck mobile! This photo taken 1979 or 1980 and it was pretty rusted when he got it. We had a couple of near death experiences in this car. Someone was definitely looking over us!

RaysCapri.jpg

Last edited:
Back