Opened up valve cover on 185,000 mile '96 Toyota Avalon sludge monster V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
sxg6,

Thats the plan. I plan on pulling the cover after the second clean/rinse of ARX. I will definitly take photos when I do. I know that I was loosing alot of oil from the valve cover gasket, but I was still losing oil before I started the ARX. Now that I am at the first rinse stage, oil consumption seemst o have stopped. So far so good.

Kevin

I got my bottles of Auto-RX yesterday. Last night after work I added a few oz to my power steering system, about 6 oz (can't really tell!) to the transmission, and a bottle to the engine. Keeping my fingers crossed!
smile.gif

In the meantime, here's a cool link on the same engine in a 2001 camry v6 with 8,700 miles (factory oil fill)
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/sludge/cleaning_sludge.html

[ July 28, 2006, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: Thermactor ]

Thermactor, I don't believe the 96 V-6's were part of the sludge crowd. I thought the 97-mid 02's were the culprits?

If so, no wonder why that engine looks good!

Here are the guidelines Toyota is using to establish the engines that are prone to having the sludge (gel) condition:

Camry 4 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 7/01

Camry 6 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 8/02

Solara 4 cyl. Produced 6/98 - 5/01

Solara 6 cyl. Produced 6/98 - 8/02

Sienna 6 cyl. Produced 7/97 - 6/02

Avalon 6 cyl. Produced 7/96 - 6/02

Celica 4 cyl. Produced 8/96 - 4/99

Highlander 6 cyl. Produced 11/00 - 8/02

If you look at the vehicle identification label on the left door or left door post you can find the date of manufacutre. It normally is one of the first things you can see on the upper left of the label (example 7/98 means it was made July, 1998).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back