Only 3 Kmarts remaining in the USA and I visited a store last week

I got a really good deal on some four packs of really nice silver wheel covers for my 85 Olds 88. The price was so low that I had to buy three of those four packs. It was really nice to have matching packs because if I scratched one up on a curb I could just pop another one on and it match the ones that are already on the car for years. Anyhow a couple of days after I bought those the whole place went up in flames. I thought it was kind of odd that they had things marked down so drastically right before it went up in flames. They never did rebuild it. I guess Kmart was so downhill by then they figured it wasn't worthwhile trying to put it back together again. Someone else bought the property and built a similar size building there and that has changed businesses a couple of times but now it has a nice business going there that sells all kind of stuff for decorating the inside of your house. But still it was a shame to see Kmart leave the South Hills of Pittsburgh Pennsylvania.

I still miss the fresh submarine sandwiches from Kmart, they were soooo delicious and I remember the lady making them fresh every Saturday morning.

Last edited:
I remember buying an 870 Remington Wingmaster from K-Mart on layaway in 1970. I put $40 down on it and within a couple months I scraped up enough money to pay for it. It was only $169.00 new. That layaway plan was nice for people with limited funds that wanted something really bad and didn't have the money to pay for it all at one time. I was one of 7 children in our family and I would not think of borrowing the money from my parents unlike the kids in todays world. That is the only item I ever purchased on layaway. I loved their popcorn and submarine sandwiches. A buddy of mine would get a free muffler replacement about every 18 months and he kept the car forever. I know K-Mart lost money replacing his mufflers all the time on a huge Plymouth 4 door that was about a 1970 model or something close to that year. We had 3 K-Marts in town and I also remember K-Mart had a way of firing older workers and back in the day there was really nowhere else they could go to find a job.

I rember buying a TV at K-Mart around 1990 that had a mute button. I thought it was cool that the TV had "mute" written on the screen when in use. When I was a kid I would get thirsty watching those bubbling illuminated drink dispensers in the deli.

Funny, multiple news outlets say there are only 3 in the states left, but their websites shows 3 in Cali, 2 in Florida, one in Montana, 2 i think in NJ...

We used to shop there a lot when i was young i remember blue light specials and slushee's and models...

I remember being surprised there was one open in LA (hammond i think, or maybe kenner) years ago, i thought they had all closed then... for the longest time my hometown had a distribution center, but no actual Kmart... LOL.
I think it is funny that people believe the media as factual.

Our old Kmart building is a civic center - at least the brick & mortar is alive and well …

I remember the Icee machines and pretzels. Buying lunch boxes and bookbags for the new school year.

Friend of mine worked at the little Caesars Pizza in the local Kmart and one day there was a struggle with security and shop lifters. A family was trying to head for the door with an unpaid loaded shopping cart. Pizzeria staff (3 people lol) cleared out and jumped in to assist security, subsequently brawling with the shop lifters on the ground. This was 20 years ago, no way this would be allowed to happen today. Shop lifters were stopped, no consequences.

Don't forget Kmart's foray into becoming and ISP of all things.

My son worked for security for Walmart. For shop lifters he went up to them and explained they were caught on camera and to come with him. The Police were then called. There were consequences. But yes-if they decided to run it could not turn in to a physical confrontation. Surprisingly-very few ran out after they were caught.

My son worked for security for Walmart. For shop lifters he went up to them and explained they were caught on camera and to come with him. The Police were then called. There were consequences. But yes-if they decided to run it could not turn in to a physical confrontation. Surprisingly-very few ran out after they were caught.
Surprising they bother - 99% of "shrinkage" as they call it is from employees - mostly cashiers just forgetting to scan a few items for someone they know. Of course, retailers don't want you to know this. Unless of course its California where shoplifting is now legal and used as reason for missing earnings.

Back